1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Bovril

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Kentoldlady1, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Kentoldlady1

Kentoldlady1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello all.
    Is bovril high carb drink or not? I have looked it up and tbh I am quite confused. Some sites say it has a large amount of carbs, others that a spoonful has1 grm and others say its negligible.
    What do others think?
    I am trying to cut down on the amount of coffee I drink because I just cant drink it without milk.
    Thanks for help.

2. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Rosiegough_

Rosiegough_ Type 2 · Well-Known Member

4. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

• Like Like x 1
  5. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

If you are looking for hot drink alternatives without milk, I would recommend trying out some herbal teas. I often hear people exclaim "I don't like herbal tea" but as there are so many with very different tastes, I feel that's like saying "I don't like vegetables".

I vary my herbal tea between mint (often straight from the garden), lemon-gingery ones, berry based, apple-cinnamon and redbush. I am not a fan of Camomile or rose hips but still find plenty to drink.
    Just like Bovril and Marmite, you are also cutting down on caffeine.

And when it's hot, it's easy to make iced versions: pour a small amount of boiling water on a teabag and mush around for up to 5 minutes to get the flavour out; remove the teabag and add lots of ice. Enjoy your refreshing, carb free, un-fizzy, caffeine free drink.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Bovril, a staple at football matches on a cold winters day.

Just enjoy it @Kentoldlady1

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kentoldlady1

Thankyou all.
    The info from tesco is interesting. I was looking at myftnesspal (cant post links for some reason) and they say a serving has nearly 2 grms of carbs. Other sites say much the same. Would much rather believe tesco!

And I have tried fruit teas and am not a fan. But will try again. Mint might be nice on an autumn morning.x

8. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Green Tea is nice and refreshing @Kentoldlady1

Is there a reason why you can't take milk in coffee, the amount of carbs in splash of milk is negligible, even over the course of a day it wouldn't add up to much unless you drink endless cups. If you are worried then just switch to Lacto-free milk as it has around half the carbs of normal milk.

9. Kentoldlady1

Alas, its never a splash.
    I love it very strong and about half milk. Tried less milk, cream etc and just dont like it. I drink about 6 mugs full each morning, so am trying to cut down to 3 and then just one.
    I need a substitute!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Blimey I'd be running to the loo all the time, plus that is a lot of caffeine in such a short space of time so your wise to cut back.

As said Green Tea is refreshing and very enjoyable and isn't taken with milk, give it a go but stay clear of some of the cheaper brands (one being Clipper) as ain't very nice. The best Green Tea is sold in Holland & Barrett and is called Double Dragon, a bit pricey but worth it IMHO.

11. DomPirate

DomPirate Type 2 · Active Member

Just had a Bovril on the ward as an evening drink, it's quite sweet.5g sugar - oops!
    Hmm next mmol soon

12. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

sugar in bovril???? There is less than 1g of carb in a mug of bovril. 1 mug is around 5g of undiluted Bovril - a teaspoonful.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook