stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort
Hi, I'm new to this thread.
I've been diabetic/pre-diabetic for around 15 yrs and just controlled everything with diet & exercise just using my Hba1c to monitor things. I moved to a LCHF diet a few years back when my Hba1c crept up to 48. 42-44 is my normal.
I've now decided to start monitoring using a finger prick BG monitor each morning. I plan to monitor for 10 days, make a dietary change and monitor for another 10 days to see if there is any noticeable effect.
My first 4 days fasting BG after waking were 6.1, 6.1, 6.5, 6.1. The 6.5 was the morning after a 70mile bike ride where I ate much more carbs than usual - museli, 1.5 wholemeal pittas, ham sandwich, 2 cakes, oops.
I could monitor during the day too, but would that help? I think taking the big picture may be the best route for me, hence just looking at my fasting BG. Does this make sense?

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Boo ! up to 7.1 / 7.0 (took it three bloody times aswell) Ate late but it was a tuna / cucumbers snack no high carbs . What is it ? What can I do ? Dr's tomorrow ( but for other stuff ) .

Reactions: Prem51

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
7.8 (after milky coffee + sweetener tho) Pizza last night can't seem to keep up the 'plan'

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.8 (after lactulose ) was 5.7 yesterday but didn't post it . Typical!:arghh:

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.3 this morning (Victory dance) Had an unusual night , needed Co-codamol at 4am for pain in hip , which I have to eat something before , so had banana and crackers . Took reading at 11.20am (late up) before BP / stomach meds and this is the result!
Also ailing from FLU jab on Sat any connection?

Does it help to have a midnight snack if Pre -diabetic? Or fluke @ anyone?

Last edited:

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Late night snacks can help some people but not me, the only thing that seems to affect my morning FBG is quality and amount of sleep. On holiday recently I was eating higher carbs than normal and getting in the 5's every morning, because I was nicely relaxed and sleeping well. Now I'm back I'm getting mid 6's every single day because I'm all stressed again about work.
I've given up on apple cider vinegar, it didn't help me and was yuk.

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to prove my point, I slept better last night and had FBG of 5.5 this morning.

5.5-Snap!!@Juicetin_,_I-have-just-made-the-same-discovery
I-have-slept-LESS-than-usual
BUT-quality-sleep
Also-ate-Midnight-snack/meal.Which-I-think-is-helping-mre--as-twice-this-has-meant-lower-fasting-BG-levels_had-to-find-this-out-with-no-medical-persons-help-or-any-others.-tho.
I-also-wasted-my-money-yrs-ago-on-Cider-vinegar-YUK-and-usueless.

Carry-on-staying-relaxed-All-the-best-Pre-Diet

Reactions: kumera and Prem51

MuazZakaria

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Just had my Hba1c test result and the doctor said that I don't have diabetes. My result is 5.1%.. But my home meter keep giving my blood sugar reading in prediabetes range.

Reactions: PreDiet and Prem51

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had my Hba1c test result and the doctor said that I don't have diabetes. My result is 5.1%.. But my home meter keep giving my blood sugar reading in prediabetes range.
Great news.
I would buy another home meter

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great news.
I would buy another home meter
Or get a free TEE2 (if that's not the one you have already). With it you get 10 free strips, 10 free lancets, a lancet gun and a nice carrying case. If you find it gives the same result as your current meter, no need to order more strips.

Reactions: PreDiet and Prem51