Votes: 19 50.0%

• Total voters

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Just looking at a health tracking App and it doesn't have a field for ketones.

As far as I know most T2s don't test for ketones (unless on a ketogenic diet) but I assume that T1s have to be wary of high BG and high ketones leading to diabetic ketoacidosis.

Gah! Hit the wrong key. I meant to include a "never" field but it looks as though I may not be able to edit a poll. O.K. My, the "edit" option is teeny tiny for the poll, isn't it?

Can't edit the title, but I didn't mean to exclude insulin dependent T2s. Sorry!

Reactions: Guzzler

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a T2 and have eaten up to 30g carbs daily for a few years. I have never tested for ketones as it doesn't worry me one way or the other.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd imagine the answer would be pretty universal @LittleGreyCat

I test when I need to - that us, when my BS is over approx 13 and when ill if needed.

Perhaps you could add a When Needed option?

You might also want to specify Type 1s in your title.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm a T2 and have eaten up to 30g carbs daily for a few years. I have never tested for ketones as it doesn't worry me one way or the other.

Yes. This is aimed at insulin users.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'd imagine the answer would be pretty universal @LittleGreyCat

I test when I need to - that us, when my BS is over approx 13 and when ill if needed.

Perhaps you could add a When Needed option?

Done.

Really I'm trying to check that my understanding is correct and that it would be useful for a health tracker to include a field for ketones.

Reactions: azure

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Same, only if needed, if my BGs high for a longer period.

Reactions: azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It depends what the purpose of the app is. I haven't needed to test for ketones for ages fortunately. So it's not a regular thing I'd record really.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Is the number 13 related with being on a pump? I was also told when needed if unwell but a higher BG number which I suspect may be related to being on MDI.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is the number 13 related with being on a pump? I was also told when needed if unwell but a higher BG number which I suspect may be related to being on MDI.

No, it's just a slight variation :) Some people say 13, some 15.

Reactions: db89
D

Deleted Account

Until I was on a pump I never tested for ketones - I had no ability to do so.
I was given a new meter with my pump which, with different test strips provides this capability. However, even if my BG is high, I rarely test for ketones. I give myself a correction dose and monitor.
The only time the ketone test strips come out is when I am feeling truly awful and have high BG. This has happened once and now I know how it feels, I probably would just inject to monitor. I suspect my ketone test strips will expire before they get used.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
When needed should cover it, tbh I rarely test for ketones.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Tested for ketones once in 30+ years.

Pump failures or in my case body/cannula failures necesitated in needing to once. I gad had quite a few failures and big highs resulting from the failures but if I can get back to target level in 5 hours I certainly have never been bothered.

D

Diabeticliberty

Back in the day. The day before man discovered fire I used to get a product on prescription called Ketodiastix. They were twee little things that you used to urinate on and they changed colour. Not once diid they ever serve me any practical purpose whatsoever. I stopped asking for them and my GP never questioned why? I suspect he never saw the benefit for me in ketone testing either. Ain't diabetes quaint?

Last edited by a moderator:

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks to all for the useful input.
The App that I am looking at is a general health and mood tracking App which is also used in research projects.
My local surgery is intrigued, and as an IT literate expert patient I have been asked to give it the once over.

https://umotif.com/news/simple-heal...cord-their-symptoms-could-save-nhs-1bn-a-year for one of their news items. The App looks quite interesting for research trials and tracking daily/weekly symptoms where this would benefit the patient.

One of the first bits of tracking I looked at was the Diabetes segment, which recorded BG test results, carbohydrates and insulin dose but didn't mention ketones. Hence the question to see how many people tested. From the responses so far I think a record of when ketones are tested alongside the BG values etc. could be quite useful. I wonder if the HCPs even know about DKA "near misses".

As a T2 who tests occasionally but who has a PC application which saves all the test results over USB I can see little immediate value for me and I'm not sure the surgery staff have the time or inclination to look at my results on a regular basis. There seems to be scope for integration with 3rd party products including fitness wearables and cycling/exercise sites such as Strava but nothing obvious for BG meters. Anything is possible given a strong enough justification.

However there does seem to be scope to configure/modify it to record key metrics form T1s and T2s to form a health log where you can record what you eat, what you weigh, how you feel, what you drink, what your BG level is, how much exercise you take......for someone to analyse over a large number of patients to see if there are obvious correlations. This does of course require a motivated set of patients.

I haven't yet found if the patient can analyse the results.
This would be far more useful to me.
I still keenly feel the loss of the excellent analytic tools which came bundled with EMIS now that the surgery has (reluctantly) moved over to Systemonline which seems to have far less investment in front end tools to assist the patient in tracking their health.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm testing at the moment but that's because I'm newly diagnosed type 1 and my ketone levels were v high on diagnosis (A&E trip). Even so, it's just 1-2 times a week while my glucose levels are gradually brought down to normal.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

tom58

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can smell ketones on my own breath if I hold the palm of my hand in front of my mouth. Used to get them sometimes in the days before DIY blood tests were available.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I'm going to train my dog for hypo's and levels above 8. Apparently its done with samples of saliva with those levels and showing dog to react then to your breath.
Thats my next challenge with my puppy dog....

tom58

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My wife had a Yorkie that would yap incessantly if I was hypo. Don't know what the dog sensed.