ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I dont understand the question, I'm afraid. 28% of what? I have lost nearly a stone since christmas. Not sure how. I still have 9 stones to lose, at least, according to DN although i have a broad, stocky build and looked dreadful when I was the 9 stone recommended for my height, several years ago.
When I have good bgs, I lose weight. As long as I'm in energy deficit. High fat didn't work for me, as I was eating far too much fat, for me.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

I was confused at an index being a percentage. I have googled and it seems that people use BMI and Body Fat Percentage interchangeably. Certainly had me confused.

BMI = (Your weight in pounds x 703) ÷ (Your height in inches x Your height in inches) so is just a number.

Body Fat Percentage = Fat Mass ÷ Body weight which gives you a number but is expressed as a percentage, eg if your total weight is 120 lbs with 30 lbs being fat that's 1/4 or 25%.

So is 25% the Body Fat Percentage? or should is just be 25, the BMI?
BMI seems to be an equation for mass total? Like a contents of a box. The mass within. Or am I wrong?
BFP is just a portion of that mass. It seems?

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
BMI seems to be an equation for mass total? Like a contents of a box. The mass within. Or am I wrong?
BFP is just a portion of that mass. It seems?

I think yes its just a contents of a box thing - I just use the website ! http://www.smartbmicalculator.com

Interestingly they have already adjusted for age and as such BMI being 25 is only actually considered normal under age 30 by them . Looking on the bright side, if one actually already made it to about 65 its no longer possible to be very high risk anymore either :)

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
https://academic.oup.com/jcem/artic...ulin-Resistance-as-a-Predictor-of-Age-Related

This paper pretty much states the theory but applies to to healthy non obese individuals - Looking at the various lipid profiles

I fall into the healthiest group except for blood pressure and weight.

The interesting thing about this is that it basically says those with the best insulin responses had NO diseases of anything in the study. The biggest differentiators were insulin and (trigs) exactly as I would expect. Health was not correlated to weight ( though I would question if the weight bands were big enough to notice in this study)

The Conclusion
This study was initiated to evaluate the hypothesis that insulin resistance would predict the development, over time, of clinical syndrome that might be best subsumed under the heading of age-related diseases (HT, CHD, stroke, cancer, and type 2 diabetes). Although the results provide substantial support for this point of view, perhaps the most striking finding was that none of these events were seen in the third of the population that was most insulin-sensitive. Given the fact that the period of observation ranged from 4–11 yr, with an average follow-up of 6.3 yr, the fact that not one clinical event took place in the insulin-sensitive tertile seems to be truly remarkable. If the ability of insulin sensitivity to decrease risk of developing age-related diseases can be confirmed in subsequent studies, the public health implications are enormous.

So then I look at this table showing a bunch of people on LCHF , number of days on diet plotted against fasting insulin

Fasting insulin levels appear to be correlated to time on an LCHF diet in T2 diabetics who can bring their health markers including glucose, Hba1C and levels of circulating insulin down to normal levels through diet

Time and insulin.png

I would then question is it Insulin sensitivity per se - or is it simply the level of circulating insulin at all.

Overall it looks to me like these are not " age related " diseases at all they are metabolic diseases brought on by metabolic derangement caused by eating food that drive insulin responses and insulin resistance where the human body can only deal with it for so long depending on the level of abuse it takes in the diet.

The good news for diabetics would be that the way you know your fasting insulin is going down is that you don't need it / or as much of it if you don't eat carbs/ processed foods and the chances are that the longer you keep up an LCHF lifestyle the better off you will be.

The same may well apply to either fasting or VLC I don't have any data for that as its not something I've tried.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I think yes its just a contents of a box thing - I just use the website ! http://www.smartbmicalculator.com

Interestingly they have already adjusted for age and as such BMI being 25 is only actually considered normal under age 30 by them . Looking on the bright side, if one actually already made it to about 65 its no longer possible to be very high risk anymore either :)
A bit like the heart advisory test? As soon as put diabetes our heart aged 10yrs. Humf!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.

Thats interesting.... only three years to go then! :)

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A bit like the heart advisory test? As soon as put diabetes our heart aged 10yrs. Humf!

I think mine started off around 150 , one day it may join the age of my wrinkles if I keep this up!

S

serenity648

it seems my BMI is 46.

edited to add that 13 stone 7lbs give me a BMI of 35. Are people saying that a BMI of 35 is OK?

Last edited by a moderator:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
it seems my BMI is 46.

edited to add that 13 stone 7lbs give me a BMI of 35. Are people saying that a BMI of 35 is OK?
I think the consensus is some people stop losing weight at their bodies happy weight structure, which ever the bmi but research and articles saying less than bmi35 showing not much unhealthy as less than 25ish. I think!
Everyone has their own fat threshold where after that their body starts misbehaving or goes wrong. Even in bmi35 or less.
My 44 is still helping me lose weight, although huge water retention again tonight. It will effect my friday weigh-in. :(

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
sorry for the confusion (I'm not a scientist :)

No worries, I just got confused and that's not difficult. I was interested to read that the two numbers are used interchangeably despite being different.

so the numbers i am interested in are BMI 27-32 kg per M2

That's interesting, I agree in the way you've got the units just by doing the calculation. I'm just trying to think what kgs per meter squared or indeed lbs per inches squared really means. Please don't take me too seriously, I'm sort of thinking aloud and there should be a law against it. LOL Weight per volume makes sense. I wonder if my GP realises that? LOL I'll have to ask.

Either way, I sadly come out at 40, so not good. On the other hand my diet is healthier than most people in my GP's waiting room, by a long shot, even compared to healthy ones with a BMI of 25 or whatever the healthy number is meant to be.

Reactions: Robbity

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I remember cardiologist who did my angiogram didn't ask me to lose weight, he said try and exercise more.
Movement is the key. Whatever bmi. I feel. On maximum tramadol I can at least move without total agony or feeling I want to die due to constant pain. They have been a godsent turning my nearly bedbound 50+ bmi body into losing another kg this week. :) I'm delighted but scared to get too happy incase some sinister reason, not my body playing ball for a change.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it seems my BMI is 46.

No worries, I just got confused and that's not difficult. I was interested to read that the two numbers are used interchangeably despite being different.

That's interesting, I agree in the way you've got the units just by doing the calculation. I'm just trying to think what kgs per meter squared or indeed lbs per inches squared really means. Please don't take me too seriously, I'm sort of thinking aloud and there should be a law against it. LOL Weight per volume makes sense. I wonder if my GP realises that? LOL I'll have to ask.

Either way, I sadly come out at 40, so not good. On the other hand my diet is healthier than most people in my GP's waiting room, by a long shot, even compared to healthy ones with a BMI of 25 or whatever the healthy number is meant to be.

Well if 35 and under can still be as healthy as 25 and under on average, then it may well be that by sticking to a diet that is healthier than most, then you are indeed making yourself healthier than most even with a BMI of 40 nd 35 bmi is an awful low closer to 40 BMI than 25 is - so you are not quite as far away from that as well . Nil desperandum as they say !

Reactions: ickihun

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I remember cardiologist who did my angiogram didn't ask me to lose weight, he said try and exercise more.
Movement is the key. Whatever bmi. I feel. On maximum tramadol I can at least move without total agony or feeling I want to die due to constant pain. They have been a godsent turning my nearly bedbound 50+ bmi body into losing another kg this week. :) I'm delighted but scared to get too happy incase some sinister reason, not my body playing ball for a change.

Well it sounds like its time to look on the bright side - you are now 11 kg down so far since January - that's brilliant and the goal doesn't seem quite so far away as it was. Persistence pays !

As a matter of interest - I don't know if you saw the thread where I posited the theory that Hba1C would go down linearly on weight loss . In my own case the number was about 1lb per point from 90 to 42 points and 48 lbs. .

If you look at your figures you have gone from 133.2 kg to 121.9 = 11.3 kg - 24lbs and your hba1C has gone down from 69 to 48 = 21 points - so a similar improvement to mine ! It might be utter coincidence - but it might also mean that if you can carry on this weight loss journey, you can also get your numbers into the non diabetic range , bearing in mind that you are managing to do this whilst still injecting insulin AND insulin is clearly a fat making hormone, you may find that as you get slimmer and a bit more active too you can also start reducing the insulin and start creating a virtuous circle for yourself :)

Strachan1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had two stalls and currently in my third stall - I was in excess of 16 stone - dropped weight steadily until 13 stone- was then 6 weeks at 13 stone then dropped 7lbs in a week - stalled again for 8 weeks and again lost 7lbs in a week - so now 12 stone - been there for a couple of months and am thinking this is where I will now stick ( BMI frustratingly 25% ) . I feel less concerned as Blood sugar seems to be OK . I am not sure what helped me move off each stall I keep a food diary and it was nothing obvious I tootle along on about 60 carbs a day and try and keep protein to 0.8 of the weight I want to be and finish eating before 6pm and exercise is gentle walking as 2 new hips . I would like another 7lbs off but may have to be satisfied if I cannot lose anymore. I have just started on tai chi to see if this helps - or may be makes me calmer about my fate ! I will let the forum know if it works.

Strachan1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had two stalls and currently in my third stall - I was in excess of 16 stone - dropped weight steadily until 13 stone- was then 6 weeks at 13 stone then dropped 7lbs in a week - stalled again for 8 weeks and again lost 7lbs in a week - so now 12 stone - been there for a couple of months and am thinking this is where I will now stick ( BMI frustratingly 25% ) . I feel less concerned as Blood sugar seems to be OK . I am not sure what helped me move off each stall I keep a food diary and it was nothing obvious I tootle along on about 60 carbs a day and try and keep protein to 0.8 of the weight I want to be and finish eating before 6pm and exercise is gentle walking as 2 new hips . I would like another 7lbs off but may have to be satisfied if I cannot lose anymore. I have just started on tai chi to see if this helps - or may be makes me calmer about my fate ! I will let the forum know if it works.

Strachan1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does this mean if you want to lose weight you keep the carbs to a minimum daily? How much carbs should you stick to a day?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Does this mean if you want to lose weight you keep the carbs to a minimum daily? How much carbs should you stick to a day?
I think it would be best to ask that question in the T1 section as it is not just a question of reducing carbs but of replacing them with something else. People who are insulin dependant need to be fully aware before making drastic changes to their diet which could affect the risk of hypos.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
When I have good bgs, I lose weight. As long as I'm in energy deficit. High fat didn't work for me, as I was eating far too much fat, for me.
Learning that too. Too much fat makes me feel sick. I don the need to lose weight ( sorry ) but it makes me nauseous. Avo and some nuts, a bit of mayo or olives good but too much fat arg. I'm still ahigh percentage of fat but the type of fat matters and the amount. Oils don't seem so good. Avo, nuts olives better and not in big quantities. Slow thought the day. Saturated fat sucks lol

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I think it's different for type1s. You need some carbs and protein, like you need insulin. You don't produce too much insulin or get over storage of glucogen in liver etc.
A well balanced diet is recommended and regular exercise for weight loss if overweight.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Well it sounds like its time to look on the bright side - you are now 11 kg down so far since January - that's brilliant and the goal doesn't seem quite so far away as it was. Persistence pays !

As a matter of interest - I don't know if you saw the thread where I posited the theory that Hba1C would go down linearly on weight loss . In my own case the number was about 1lb per point from 90 to 42 points and 48 lbs. .

If you look at your figures you have gone from 133.2 kg to 121.9 = 11.3 kg - 24lbs and your hba1C has gone down from 69 to 48 = 21 points - so a similar improvement to mine ! It might be utter coincidence - but it might also mean that if you can carry on this weight loss journey, you can also get your numbers into the non diabetic range , bearing in mind that you are managing to do this whilst still injecting insulin AND insulin is clearly a fat making hormone, you may find that as you get slimmer and a bit more active too you can also start reducing the insulin and start creating a virtuous circle for yourself :)
I am needing to reduce insulin as i reduce my weight. Which is normal even for type1s.
Currently 66units of basal and 25-40units of novarapid and 2000mg metformin. Used to be 69basal and 60 bolus and 2000mg metformin.
Basal not changing much. Not sure why basal need not reducing much.
Is basal need higher if not doing heavy physical exercise? @Kristin251 Due to back problem and possible neurogical numbness.
Or could be just because still IR?

Last edited:
Reactions: CherryAA