Cheap sources flax seeds and ground almonds

ChrisM28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
Enjoying the lo carb cooking but getting through a heck of a lot of flax seeds and ground almonds. Where are you all (UK) buying for best value?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Aldi or Lidl. But they run out of stock quickly.

Reactions: dbr10

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just get Whitworths ground almonds in Tesco they are currently on offer til 3/10. Two 150g packets for £3.

B

badcat

I bulk buy it when its on offer and keep it in the fridge or a cool dark cupboard

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It might be better kept in the freezer. I used to freeze coffee beans and they kept really fresh - I used to buy in bulk from a place which roasted the beans on site.
Freezing stops the oils from going rancid.

Reactions: ChrisM28

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Haven't bought any for a while but Holland & Barretts were the cheapest I found for almond flour.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend top see if my local supermarket stocks an ingredient, and if it doesn't then I check for prices on Amazon. I've found a few great deals that way.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy Almonds from Grape Tree, make Almond milk with whole Almonds and dry the meal then use a herb grinder to make almond flour. Almonds are currently £4.99 for 500 gms. Flour makes brilliant cakes

gazspartame

Hi all,
Enjoying the lo carb cooking but getting through a heck of a lot of flax seeds and ground almonds. Where are you all (UK) buying for best value?
Local ethnic shops do large bags of all kinds of flours and seeds alot cheaper than supermarkets. I don't buy of the internet after watching a programme about blag stuff like talc added to almond flour etc

Reactions: cybercellar

matureboots

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Why is everyone looking for 'GROUND' almonds that are expensive because someone has ground them up for you? Buy cheap 1kg packs of whole nuts from Amazon or elsewhere get yourself a cheap coffee grinder and you can grind your nuts (of any kind) fresh when ever you want.....duh!

Reactions: cybercellar

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just get Whitworths ground almonds in Tesco they are currently on offer til 3/10. Two 150g packets for £3.
They often have this offer from Ocado too, and also also do similar "Twofer" offers on the larger 200g packs of Waitrose ones. I've just checked though and they've now recently brought out their own Ocado brand with in offer price of £1.84 per 200g pack instead of the proposed £2.39 so I just slighly cheaper than the Whitworths offer.

Robbity

PS @matureboots - in a word - convenience! I'll usually grind my own hazelnuts because that meal does tend to be expensive, but for the ground almonds I'm happy to pay a fairly cheap offer price for when I just want a fast supper time muffin.

woodenone46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ground Almonds & Almond Flour are one & the same. Only difference tends to be the price.

Grape Tree sell 1Kg bags of Ground Almonds & at the moment they are 8=99 rather than 12=99.
If no local Grape Tree try there website:
www.grapetree.co.uk

ChrisM28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why is everyone looking for 'GROUND' almonds that are expensive because someone has ground them up for you? Buy cheap 1kg packs of whole nuts from Amazon or elsewhere get yourself a cheap coffee grinder and you can grind your nuts (of any kind) fresh when ever you want.....duh!
Because I'm an idle cow!!!:)