Marathonmona's 8 week 800 calorie diet

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow. That's a fab amount of weight! I did this for about ten days back in June and lost about 5 pound. Never gained it back when I stopped. I did think about food all day though and found it very hard not to raid the cupboard when I got home haha.

It does get easier and I find going from dinner to dinner much easier than lunch to lunch. It’s an easier mindset for me than setting an absolute calorie restriction - I plan fasting days and generally stick to them, but I’m now much more aware of proper hunger (rather than craving/habitual eating) so my rule of thumb is that if I do get hungry, then I’ll eat. Yesterday is a case in point - had a lunchtime physio appointment so planned to fast but was sooo hungry on the way there so grabbed a 50g bag of almonds which kept me going until dinner.

Similarly sometimes when I’ve not planned to fast, I’m not hungry so don’t eat.

Do recommend giving it another try.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well everyone, I'm not quite sure what to do. Since the end of week 4 I've not really been following the plan as I've struggled with hunger and the last ten days with cravings, which I've given in to more than once.
I've lost 16 lbs and did that in just over a month. It's a great plan, it really is but I just cannot stick to it at the moment. I need more food. I desperately don't want to now leave it at this and spend the next year just toying with the same few pounds... in short, I need to lose weight but my body needs more fuel.
I'll have a little think about a plan... I'm thinking maybe 1200 calories or intermittent fasting. Maybe dropping the dairy...I must admit, I struggle with any plan I'm on!
I desperately don't want to lose contact with the fabulous people on here though.

I Think you could try the ketogenic approach by going Real low carbs like under 30 grams a day and Then maybe eat like 1500 calories a day if you want to loose more weight Then you won’t feel that hungry because You eat much fat

Last edited:
Reactions: Chook and Goonergal

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It does get easier and I find going from dinner to dinner much easier than lunch to lunch. It’s an easier mindset for me than setting an absolute calorie restriction - I plan fasting days and generally stick to them, but I’m now much more aware of proper hunger (rather than craving/habitual eating) so my rule of thumb is that if I do get hungry, then I’ll eat. Yesterday is a case in point - had a lunchtime physio appointment so planned to fast but was sooo hungry on the way there so grabbed a 50g bag of almonds which kept me going until dinner.

Similarly sometimes when I’ve not planned to fast, I’m not hungry so don’t eat.

Do recommend giving it another try.

Yes I preferred the dinner to dinner method too.
That combined with low carb and some sort of calorie restriction may work for me. I won't lose with without watching my calories. Even on low carb.

Reactions: Goonergal and Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Well everyone, I'm not quite sure what to do. Since the end of week 4 I've not really been following the plan as I've struggled with hunger and the last ten days with cravings, which I've given in to more than once.
I've lost 16 lbs and did that in just over a month. It's a great plan, it really is but I just cannot stick to it at the moment. I need more food. I desperately don't want to now leave it at this and spend the next year just toying with the same few pounds... in short, I need to lose weight but my body needs more fuel.
I'll have a little think about a plan... I'm thinking maybe 1200 calories or intermittent fasting. Maybe dropping the dairy...I must admit, I struggle with any plan I'm on!
I desperately don't want to lose contact with the fabulous people on here though.

*Big hug* Yes, restricting calories has been really difficult - you've kept going with it for longer than both my previous attempts - but I agree that it is hard to live an active life on so little food. I like your idea of intermittent fasting. I also like your idea of 1200 calories. How about 1200 calories on week days then fasting at the weekends? Skip breakfast and lunch then have a 500 calorie evening meal - which is the original Michael Mosley 'Fast Diet'. I re-watched the programme about it recently and it reminded me of how little effort it took to getting in to a fasting routine.

I'm back on to ND on Sunday once I get back from visiting all my husband's relatives. These couple of days of being able to tolerate higher carb foods have given me incentive.

thepolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not keeping motivated, eating when not hungry too much of the time. Need to up my distractions
Just a question, if you don't mind. After a 48 hour fast do you eat a "normal" me for you, I know on much longer fasts it is not a good idea.
I'm not really eating normally at all, did a 30 hour fast yesterday and broke it with pork scratchings and cheese, so not the best but bg didn't go up too much afterwards, eating chicken wings tonight. From what I've read it is best to eat something about an hour before you eat a 'proper meal' so that you aren't shocking your system with too much too soon. That is with a longer duration fast though.

Reactions: marathonmona

thepolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not keeping motivated, eating when not hungry too much of the time. Need to up my distractions
I with everyone else on the dinner to dinner routine although I've read that maybe lunch to lunch would help with fbs readings but not sure if it affects weight loss at all

Reactions: marathonmona

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes, I'm going to have a little think. I definitely need a plan; if I don't, I end up just drifting on this 'LCHF-ish' cloud, not really going anywhere haha.
Maybe I can do a bit of calorie cycling, low carb and intermittent fasting. I'm liking it already. Not the same every day.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I'm not really eating normally at all, did a 30 hour fast yesterday and broke it with pork scratchings and cheese, so not the best but bg didn't go up too much afterwards, eating chicken wings tonight. From what I've read it is best to eat something about an hour before you eat a 'proper meal' so that you aren't shocking your system with too much too soon. That is with a longer duration fast though.
Thanks.

Reactions: thepolly

thepolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes, I'm going to have a little think. I definitely need a plan; if I don't, I end up just drifting on this 'LCHF-ish' cloud, not really going anywhere haha.
Maybe I can do a bit of calorie cycling, low carb and intermittent fasting. I'm liking it already. Not the same every day.
Yup changing it up will always help. Especially if you can do not eating when you aren't actually hungry, that's what I struggle with most. Think I could do a long-ish fast without feeling hungry but that's not the same thing as wanting to eat.... so annoying

Reactions: Chook

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yup changing it up will always help. Especially if you can do not eating when you aren't actually hungry, that's what I struggle with most. Think I could do a long-ish fast without feeling hungry but that's not the same thing as wanting to eat.... so annoying

I know EXACTLY what you mean!!

Reactions: Chook

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just a question, if you don't mind. After a 48 hour fast do you eat a "normal" me for you, I know on much longer fasts it is not a good idea.

Yes a normal low carb meal, maybe a small snack an hour before the full meal.

Reactions: Mbaker

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I've decided to carry on and do the full twelve weeks. I must be nuts. I've decided not to take a break before carrying on (yes, double nuts.) I've had a week partially off where I've been staying with other people so couldn't dictate my diet but I've done my best (apart from the wine of course).

I have done a mega shop today - buying enough goodies (mainly M&S things) to see me through to the end of the twelve weeks and when I got home I worked out a menu for the entire rest of the ND which I've stuck on the fridge. Funny, really, I'm now on week 7 day 6 - yet the idea of doing another five weeks is making me feel quite anxious and I have no idea why. :wacky:

thepolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
. Funny, really, I'm now on week 7 day 6 - yet the idea of doing another five weeks is making me feel quite anxious and I have no idea why. :wacky:

It's usually the idea of the thing than the reality of it, look how long you've been on it already! Then when you look back it seems like time flew. Sending you a hug :D

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've decided to carry on and do the full twelve weeks. I must be nuts. I've decided not to take a break before carrying on (yes, double nuts.) I've had a week partially off where I've been staying with other people so couldn't dictate my diet but I've done my best (apart from the wine of course).

I have done a mega shop today - buying enough goodies (mainly M&S things) to see me through to the end of the twelve weeks and when I got home I worked out a menu for the entire rest of the ND which I've stuck on the fridge. Funny, really, I'm now on week 7 day 6 - yet the idea of doing another five weeks is making me feel quite anxious and I have no idea why. :wacky:

Really well done. I'm quite excited for you! Will you let us know how you get on please?

I've not really decided what I'm doing yet. Deffo some sort of fasting (nothing too long), and low carb but no eating fat with wild abandon; it's going to have to done in a controlled way.

I like your idea of planning ahead. Mmmmm I can feel an A3 piece of paper coming out. Love me some planning! Can you tell I'm a teacher? All I need to do now is actually stick to a plan haha.