What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
e8222bd1f2b3a33b1d25a69388dfe723.jpg
Good morning all.

Woke up at 5:00 am with levels at 5,7 mmol/l. My 50 min morning walk brought this down to 5,1.

I have been off metformin for three days now. I had to come off it the day prior to CT scan as the chemical they inject to assist with visualisation during the scan clashes with it and could cause kidney problems.

Part of me wants to come off it completely but part of me says that I have been doing fine with it without any side effects so perhaps I should not change my routine. I am opting for the latter option. If my next Hba1c is as low as I am currently expecting it to be, I might discuss coming off it with my doctor but I suspect he will not wish to rock the cradle either.

Anyway enough about me.

Hope you all have a great day ahead of you.

Pavlos
It's nice that you chat about you.:)

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The two threads on fasting blood glucose levels are amongst the most popular and longest running on this forum but, to be honest, I have misgivings about them particularly the "very low chat" version.

My first concern is that they place an undue emphasis on fasting blood glucose counts, which in many ways are the most atypical and hardest to control because of the well known dawn phenomenon: our livers actually release glucose into our bloodstream to prepare us for the energy demands of the coming day.

This emphasis on fasting levels diverts attention away from pre and two-hour-post prandial testing, that in my opinion are much more useful as feedback, particularly for the newly diagnosed that are still learning about how their levels are affected by different food.

Secondly, it encourages comparison between individuals when such comparisons are not really valid.

We are not all the same. We are individuals with different circumstances affecting our glucose control: we have different types of diabetes, our diabetes is at a different stage, we are on different or no medication, we are different sexes and we lead different lifestyles placing different demands on our diet and level of exercise or involving different levels of stress.

A particular concern is the effect on the newly diagnosed, who will typically be running at elevated levels compared to well-controlled 'vetetans'. If they use the comparison as inspiration, all is good but they should not be disheartened if their levels are higher or slower to reduce.

The only person we are really competing with is ourselves of yesterday and the only opponent is diabetes itself.

This is not a race or a contest and the only prize is managing to stay healthy.

In reality of course, these threads are a tool and like all tools, as long as care is taken to make proper use of them, they serve a purpose, helping us to maintain focus.

This is the reason that despite the misgivings I post regularly on this version of the thread. If I am honest I am here for the chat, comradeship and support rather than just to share my level or satisfy my curiosity about how others compare/are doing.

Last edited:

Ymdawd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The two threads on fasting blood glucose levels are amongst the most popular and longest running on this forum but, to be honest, I have misgivings about them particularly the "very low chat" version.

My first concern is that they place an undue emphasis on fasting blood glucose counts, which in many ways are the most atypical and hardest to control because of the well known dawn phenomenon: our livers actually release glucose into our bloodstream to prepare us for the energy demands of the coming day.

This emphasis on fasting levels diverts attention away from pre and two-hour-post prandial testing, that in my opinion are much more useful as feedback, particularly for the newly diagnosed that are still learning about how their levels are affected by different food.

Secondly, it encourages comparison between individuals when such comparisons are not really valid.

We are not all the same. We are individuals with different circumstances affecting our glucose control: we have different types of diabetes, our diabetes is at a different stage, we are on different or no medication, we are different sexes and we lead different lifestyles placing different demands on our diet and level of exercise or involving different levels of stress.

A particular concern is the effect on the newly diagnosed, who will typically be running at elevated levels compared to well-controlled 'vetetans'. If they use the comparison as inspiration, all is good but they should not be disheartened if their levels are higher or slower to reduce.

The only person we are really competing with is ourselves of yesterday and the only opponent is diabetes itself.

In reality of course, these threads are a tool and like all tools, as long as care is taken to make proper use of them, they serve a purpose, helping us to maintain focus.

This is the reason that despite the misgivings I post regularly on this version of the thread. If I am honest I am here for the chat, comradeship and support rather than just to share my level or satisfy my curiosity about how others compare/are doing.

Nicely put Pavlosn.

D

Diabeticliberty

I didn't check my blood till late this morning as was fasting for blood tests at doctors which was at 11:20 this morning, so I think DP caught me out as I got a reading of 5.6. at about 10:45.

Am a little nervous about my HbA1c as though my levels have been pretty good over all, I have had a few freakishly high readings in the last couple of months one being a 14 the highest level I can recall in the last couple of years.

John it's an average. You will be absolutely fine and even if you're not you know exactly what you are doing. The thing is though I still think you will be absolutely fine :)

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Nicely put Pavlosn.
For me , after a year of testing multiple times a day, adjusting what I eat and what I do, having done the Newcastle diet then stuck as close to a low carb lifestyle as I can morning sugar levels are a very good indicator of my progress. I find it very, very useful . I can see that at an earlier stage more was required but now I am inspired by those who can maintain good levels. Hey thats my thoughts .....

D

Diabeticliberty

For me , after a year of testing multiple times a day, adjusting what I eat and what I do, having done the Newcastle diet then stuck as close to a low carb lifestyle as I can morning sugar levels are a very good indicator of my progress. I find it very, very useful . I can see that at an earlier stage more was required but now I am inspired by those who can maintain good levels. Hey thats my thoughts .....

Newcastle Diet? I have heard it is like 28 rounds being beaten up by Mike Tyson. Did you find it difficult to stick to? I very much doubt that if I were type 2 I could even go near it.

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Fabulous post!!! Thank you and well said.

Reactions: pavlosn