Skipping breakfast?

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I would love to not have breakfast in the morning but I'm very hungry once I've got up. How do you skip it without being hungry? I'm struggling at the moment to eat, breakfast is a big issue, in fact all meals are. I can't eat cereal anymore as it makes me feel sick, the same with yoghurt. I tried soft boiled egg and 2 slices of bread and butter Sunday but again I felt ill. This has been going on for a long time now, I've had a gastroscopy and a ct scan of my pancreas. Later today I'm having a blood test done to see if I'm gluten intolerant or coeliac. Food is such a struggle.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would love to not have breakfast in the morning but I'm very hungry once I've got up. How do you skip it without being hungry? I'm struggling at the moment to eat, breakfast is a big issue, in fact all meals are. I can't eat cereal anymore as it makes me feel sick, the same with yoghurt. I tried soft boiled egg and 2 slices of bread and butter Sunday but again I felt ill. This has been going on for a long time now, I've had a gastroscopy and a ct scan of my pancreas. Later today I'm having a blood test done to see if I'm gluten intolerant or coeliac. Food is such a struggle.

I have found that for me personally eating big high fat ( butter) but low carb and moderate protein the afternoon before, prevents any hunger pangs until well after lunchtime the following day. All the things you mention are relatively high carb , my friend who is gluten intolerant can't eat even a sliver of the things you mention without feeling dreadful. She also opts for very low carb and high fat and feels fine when she does. Hope that helps.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I avoid breakfast, I can always cure any hunger pangs by exercising. A quick jog or the like does the trick, and it is also very good for you :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I skip breakfast but I do have a decaf coffee with cream. That sees me through for several hours. Do you know that it is carbs that make you hungry? Reduce those and the hunger pangs may go.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I skip breakfast but I do have a decaf coffee with cream. That sees me through for several hours. Do you know that it is carbs that make you hungry? Reduce those and the hunger pangs may go.

Although I enjoy coffee, that on its own would not see me through till my lunch time at work. Why would carbs suddenly make me hingry? At the moment I’m dreading food as most of it seems to make me feel sick. I used to be able to eat cereal fine and manage until lunch but now I don’t know what to have.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Although I enjoy coffee, that on its own would not see me through till my lunch time at work. Why would carbs suddenly make me hingry? At the moment I’m dreading food as most of it seems to make me feel sick. I used to be able to eat cereal fine and manage until lunch but now I don’t know what to have.

I just made a suggestion. I also didn't imagine I could last all morning without a good breakfast. I was very pleasantly surprised. The fat in the double cream satiates me and sometimes I even forget it is lunch time. Surely worth a try?

Reactions: wolfie53

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you explored the possibility that you may be suffering from gastro-paresis? It can be a complication of diabetes. Also, have you tried having a carb-free breakfast eg the eggs without the bread, with maybe some cheese?

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I drink coffee with cream in the morning and I find that makes me feel full. Sometimes I skip it altogether but I generally don't find I'm hungry then until lunchtime. It might just be a case of training your body not to expect food that early in the morning

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Have you explored the possibility that you may be suffering from gastro-paresis? It can be a complication of diabetes. Also, have you tried having a carb-free breakfast eg the eggs without the bread, with maybe some cheese?
Yes my dr thinks it may be that. I’ve had a gastroscopy done which showed slight diabetic gastroperisis. I’ve had a scan of my pancreas which I’m waiting the result for. Just 2 eggs wouldn’t be enough for me to go work on!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Carbs are very well known to cause hunger. Especially in the morning. They will raise bs and insulin and we are already getting a rise from cortisol and adrenaline. Many of us need a low carb high fat bf. I eat a small vlc high fat bf ot it sets me up for hunger all day

Sounds like you might have some food intolerances like gluten/ wheat. I can't eat ANY grains or starch, sugar, fruit juice etc without feeling miserable. So a vlc diet suits me perfectly. Yes, they're hard to give up initially butnyou might feel much better for it.
No doubt the food chain has changed and people are becoming more intolerant to more and more foods. My daughter can't even touch wheat or she's in serious pain for days. Corn anything ( corn starch, flour etc) is worse for me than wheat but all grains are horrid for me. I just don't digest carbs well. Simple as that. So I don't eat them.

Hope you feel better.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Carbs are very well known to cause hunger. Especially in the morning. They will raise bs and insulin and we are already getting a rise from cortisol and adrenaline. Many of us need a low carb high fat bf. I eat a small vlc high fat bf ot it sets me up for hunger all day

Sounds like you might have some food intolerances like gluten/ wheat. I can't eat ANY grains or starch, sugar, fruit juice etc without feeling miserable. So a vlc diet suits me perfectly. Yes, they're hard to give up initially butnyou might feel much better for it.
No doubt the food chain has changed and people are becoming more intolerant to more and more foods. My daughter can't even touch wheat or she's in serious pain for days. Corn anything ( corn starch, flour etc) is worse for me than wheat but all grains are horrid for me. I just don't digest carbs well. Simple as that. So I don't eat them.

Hope you feel better.
Just been tested for coeliac and gluten all were normal.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just been tested for coeliac and gluten all were normal.
Celiac and gluten intolerance are completely different animals. Most celiac have no symptoms but intolerant people DO.
N other my daughter or I are celiac but we both have pain when we eat it. Your call of course. Seems something isn't right though

Steve978

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant lazy selfish humans .
It depends what you have for breakfast I normally have porridge, two slices of toast, a cup of tea and a glass of orange. If I skipped breakfast I would have a hypo.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It depends what you have for breakfast I normally have porridge, two slices of toast, a cup of tea and a glass of orange. If I skipped breakfast I would have a hypo.
Wow pure carb breakfast there!

Presumably the hypo (without all that glucose from your food) is the effect of your meds though? Gliclazide lowers blood sugars and if the sugar isn’t there to be cancelled out you’ll get the hypo

Have you explored the option of eating less carbs and using less gliclazide with your dr? Obviously that depends if you want and are prepared to change your way of eating in order to lower or possibly eliminate some medications.