Does anyone think that only calories from carbs can make you fat?

Tannith

BANNED
Does anyone think that it is only calories coming from carbs that make you fat? I have been getting this impression from some of the threads.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Calories from carbs are the biggest problem because carbs cause rises in insulin levels, which down the line will make you gain weight. Calories from fats and protein combined with too many calories from carbs, may also make you fat, but much less likely if carb consumption is low.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I like to say a piece of toast a day for a week and I'm 10#'s up.
A stick of butter a day and I'll lose weight.

I don't do either, just an example

Reactions: KimWheeler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
If fat made you fat then I would be morbidly obese.

Reactions: petalmoore

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If I think about calories I don't lose weight for long.....
If I advoid most carbs I lose weight without thinking about how much of anything else I eat.

Clearly calories from prosses carbs and high GI carbs are the worce for me. Calories from fat and protain tend to reuslt in me wanting to eat less.

I could get fat from eating fat and protain but it would take effert.....

Reactions: geefull

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My personal take is that if you over consume calories you will gain weight, but, it's much easier to do that when eating carbs because protein and fat keep you satiated for much longer.

Additionally, because I'm a T2D carbs are not something I can handle well so the problem is magnified, my over production of insulin makes sure of that. LCHF keeps me humming along without the constant hunger and subsequent overeating of carbs which was the result of my insulin resistance.

Reactions: Guzzler

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any food can make you fat if consumed in excess, in the presence of insulin.
Because in order to store the food's energy as bodily fat, it needs insulin to get the energy into the cells.
Fat consumption hardly stimulates any insulin release, protein consumption doesn't stimulate much insulin release (unless eaten in excess), carb consumption stimulates lots of insulin.

So if carbs are eaten, more insulin is required, and it is easier for any excess energy to be stored.

Shall we all sing, in chorus:

:singing: Not all calories are created equal :singing:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Insulin spikes cause fat storage.. carbs cause insulin spikes (for us Type 2's anyway). It's probably not quite so simple as your opening question but by avoiding carbs and thus avoiding insulin spikes all sorts of good things happen. Once you have lower insulin levels you can access body fat for fuel (nutritional ketosis) and by eating more fat you achieve far greater levels of satiety than you get eating carbs. So you feel fuller for longer which why so many people who follow keto also fast because it's easier when fat fuelled. This may lead to a numerical caloric deficit but is not a Low Cal diet as such as your body fat is used for fuel too.
That's my main problem with the ND which you have put such great faith in. You have 3 shakes and a meal each day so 4 sets of insulin spikes as the shakes are carb bombs as well as the meal even if the meal is lower carb.
There are also quite few people who have overeaten hugely on high fat diets (Sam Feltham of the PHC as well as Jason Wittrock a US based body builder) without gaining weight so it seems to not be as easy as the "Calories In Calories Out" "eat less move more" ethos which also appears to underpin the ND.
Feasting followed by fasting seems to work pretty well.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
More carbs make me fatter, less (fewer?) carbs make me less fat.

Reactions: maggiep

Hotpepper20000

Also there's the incurable hunger that comes with BG swings.
I always know when I've eaten too many carbs. It's impossible to intermittent fast and my stomach actually growls with hunger.

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone think that it is only calories coming from carbs that make you fat? I have been getting this impression from some of the threads.
Hahaha @Tannith, great observation and question that you bluntly ask there! :)

On this forum you have many dedicated individuals. And if you browse around you also find areas here dedicated to certain ways of managing your diabetes. The food we eat is actually part of this therapy and to some extend as important if not more important as how we e.g. take/use insulin. Some find it easier to manage their disease by going on a low carb diet. Some are vegetarians. Some focus on the proteins. Others do other stuff. Situation is, we probably all find a way by which we find it easier and more predictable to manage our disease. And please recall, diabetes is not just diabetes, we have many variants of that. And human beings are not just a standard holster walking around. We are all globally unique individuals. so respecting that, you have an unlimited number of variations around that subject.
I think also we should be gentle and even encourage individuals that have found a great way to manage their own diabetes 'the right' to share their experience with other fellow diabetics and offer their recommendations for others to try it out. There are pros and cons with all variations. Personally I am easy going. If it works for you, great - carry on!

Now with risk of getting into some hot water, I will though as a proven facts driven scientist say this:
Ultimately, if you eat more calories than your body expends, regardless of whether these calories come from fat, protein, or carbohydrates, you will gain weight. Unused energy is converted and stored as excess body fat. There is no magic.

Hotpepper20000

ABSOLUTELY!!!
With this way of eating I actually, for the first time in my life, pass a meal up.
Before, for as long as I remember I could ALWAYS eat. It usally was what was consider "healthy food" but too much.
I remember thinking, early in my life, looking at others plates , there is no way that they could be satisfied with that little food.
LCHF has fundamentally changed how I look and feel about food.