Diabetes Burnout.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Hi all, like to introduce myself my name is Mark I am a T1 diabetic of 37 years and have just joined this forum . I have read quite a number of posts and am glad but sad to see that people have been and are going through exactly what I have been through . I got diabetes when I was 16 , not a great time for a 16 year old too much testosterone too many hormones flying about too much beer culture ball blah blah. I, like the mature guy I was at the time decided to reject diabetes didn't want it couldn't be ***** with it, decided I'll just carry on as normal. I was very sporty coming from Wales rugby was a religion something I'd played since the age of 8 , I carried on playing til my mid 30s . Back in them days blood sugar monitoring was very much in its infancy so BS control was haphazard to say the least as was technology. However life went on as normal, or as normal as it could be . Various developments occurred ( introduction of Novopens new regimes) so life became a tad more normal, but still not normal. But years passed and experience in life was accrued. Marriage , children, grandchildren followed . Life became a tad more precious with the age and experience . However my past inadequecies with regards to my diabetes were soon at the age of 49 to catch up with me. I had a mild heart attack. I had a stent fitted and was fine. However in 2014 I lost my leg below the knee. A life changing thing to happen . But it made me a much stronger person . Whereas in the past I felt s bit sorry for myself now I realise that the little things we do make the most difference . I don't want this story to frighten people I walk as good as anyone I enjoy life but the one thing I do now which I didn't do before is I take my Bs regularly. If it is high don't stress about it just adjust your insulin to suit. It's not the end of the world . We are all individuals and one day is as different as the next. I Don't be frightened to move your insulin about. At the end of the day we are only trying to replicate what our pancreas is doing( all be it non automatically) . I know diabetes affects people in different ways and my attitude now won't suit everybody . I've had diabetes 37 years and my control for 34 years of that has been well **** to be honest .not through lack of knowledge but through . lack of respect. But I am still here in very good health. Technology these days is developing all the time, I am trailing the new Libre meter ( I've read varying options on this but must say for ease of use it's fantastic so helpful if you working I should imagine) but technology is only as good as the user. I was told when I first became diabetic the only thing I couldn't do was be a pilot or a long distance driver, times have changed but diabetes is something we live with , people without it don't understand.
To new diabetics out there , it is difficult it's a complete change of mind, change is difficult but it's jot the end . There are plenty of people to help you this forum is proof of that . Every emotion you are going through someone here has been through it and come out the other side. Diabetes doesn't have to control your life . If you have control of it you have life,There are 100s if not 1000s of people on here who are willing to help .

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My turn now. I suppose that having found that I have high blood pressure out of the blue didn't help.
Got a couple of days when I ditched the good diet eating ice creams and chocolates and more calories that I should, rationally knowing that it's no good but doing it anyway. Happened a bit before, but being 24/7 aware of the diabetes is hard.

And of course the fact the peaches I have this year are are making ugly looking but tasty fruits does not helph ... see photo: they are totally unsoldable because I made almost no treatment but they have a flavour.

Attachments

• P8170005_.JPG
    P8170005_.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 446
Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi all, like to introduce myself my name is Mark I am a T1 diabetic of 37 years and have just joined this forum . I have read quite a number of posts and am glad but sad to see that people have been and are going through exactly what I have been through . I got diabetes when I was 16 , not a great time for a 16 year old too much testosterone too many hormones flying about too much beer culture ball blah blah. I, like the mature guy I was at the time decided to reject diabetes didn't want it couldn't be ***** with it, decided I'll just carry on as normal. I was very sporty coming from Wales rugby was a religion something I'd played since the age of 8 , I carried on playing til my mid 30s . Back in them days blood sugar monitoring was very much in its infancy so BS control was haphazard to say the least as was technology. However life went on as normal, or as normal as it could be . Various developments occurred ( introduction of Novopens new regimes) so life became a tad more normal, but still not normal. But years passed and experience in life was accrued. Marriage , children, grandchildren followed . Life became a tad more precious with the age and experience . However my past inadequecies with regards to my diabetes were soon at the age of 49 to catch up with me. I had a mild heart attack. I had a stent fitted and was fine. However in 2014 I lost my leg below the knee. A life changing thing to happen . But it made me a much stronger person . Whereas in the past I felt s bit sorry for myself now I realise that the little things we do make the most difference . I don't want this story to frighten people I walk as good as anyone I enjoy life but the one thing I do now which I didn't do before is I take my Bs regularly. If it is high don't stress about it just adjust your insulin to suit. It's not the end of the world . We are all individuals and one day is as different as the next. I Don't be frightened to move your insulin about. At the end of the day we are only trying to replicate what our pancreas is doing( all be it non automatically) . I know diabetes affects people in different ways and my attitude now won't suit everybody . I've had diabetes 37 years and my control for 34 years of that has been well **** to be honest .not through lack of knowledge but through . lack of respect. But I am still here in very good health. Technology these days is developing all the time, I am trailing the new Libre meter ( I've read varying options on this but must say for ease of use it's fantastic so helpful if you working I should imagine) but technology is only as good as the user. I was told when I first became diabetic the only thing I couldn't do was be a pilot or a long distance driver, times have changed but diabetes is something we live with , people without it don't understand.
To new diabetics out there , it is difficult it's a complete change of mind, change is difficult but it's jot the end . There are plenty of people to help you this forum is proof of that . Every emotion you are going through someone here has been through it and come out the other side. Diabetes doesn't have to control your life . If you have control of it you have life,There are 100s if not 1000s of people on here who are willing to help .

Hi Mark and welcome to the forum. I am a fellow type 1, 28 years for me and I know just how dam difficult it can be, you have been through a few tough and scary times and still you have managed to come out the other side and I can see hope and determination in your post, your'e a trooper and hat's off to you :)

Ymdawd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Reactions: Meggsie

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It sure is or can be very irritating at times. Certainly drives me up the wall. Am running out of tablet treatment options. So even more aggro with insulin looms.?
How are you getting on?

Crystalwand

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You all right of course, but some days are just well not good, I have been low carb from sometime now, lost weight, but still told, I need to be 55 kg I am now 65.5 kg, but to day is a bad, just had one slice of white bread, with butter, peanut butter and yes chocolate spread, there I have said it, and it was really really lovely, 5 units, what I am trying to say, is that on the odd bad days, I jump ship, and keep swimming, no one is 100% all of the time, you do your best

Ymdawd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You all right of course, but some days are just well not good, I have been low carb from sometime now, lost weight, but still told, I need to be 55 kg I am now 65.5 kg, but to day is a bad, just had one slice of white bread, with butter, peanut butter and yes chocolate spread, there I have said it, and it was really really lovely, 5 units, what I am trying to say, is that on the odd bad days, I jump ship, and keep swimming, no one is 100% all of the time, you do your best

You are doing just fine. Yes you will have setbacks or bad days but you have to keep a firm view of where you want to be. Its not a bad idea to promise yourself a treat in return for real progress. How much do you exercise.? That plus better eating is the key to achieving your objective of 55kg. Go for it.

Reactions: Arlmy

Crystalwand

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you, that is kind of you to say so, is nice sometimes for someone to say nice things, just when you need it X X X

Arlmy

Hi Mark and welcome to the forum. I am a fellow type 1, 28 years for me and I know just how dam difficult it can be, you have been through a few tough and scary times and still you have managed to come out the other side and I can see hope and determination in your post, your'e a trooper and hat's off to you :)

Arlmy

Sorry I clicked before I wrote
Morning and thanks for sharing
I was already getting fed up but you have set me back on track

Reactions: Freema
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Sorry I clicked before I wrote
Morning and thanks for sharing
I was already getting fed up but you have set me back on track

:) It is hard sometimes and battles can be easily lost , but we must fight on................ so keep on going.
Take care.

Reactions: Ymdawd and Freema

Jade0106

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, like to introduce myself my name is Mark I am a T1 diabetic of 37 years and have just joined this forum . I have read quite a number of posts and am glad but sad to see that people have been and are going through exactly what I have been through . I got diabetes when I was 16 , not a great time for a 16 year old too much testosterone too many hormones flying about too much beer culture ball blahh blah. I, like the mature guy I was at the time decided to reject diabetes didn't want it couldn't be ***** with it, decided I'll just carry on as normal. I was very sporty coming from Wales rugby was a religion something I'd played since the age of 8 , I carried on playing til my mid 30s . Back in them days blood sugar monitoring was very much in its infancy so BS control was haphazard to say the least as was technology. However life went on as normal, or as normal as it could be . Various developments occurred ( introduction of Novopens new regimes) so life became a tad more normal, but still not normal. But years passed and experience in life was accrued. Marriage , children, grandchildren followed . Life became a tad more precious with the age and experience . However my past inadequecies with regards to my diabetes were soon at the age of 49 to catch up with me. I had a mild heart attack. I had a stent fitted and was fine. However in 2014 I lost my leg below the knee. A life changing thing to happen . But it made me a much stronger person . Whereas in the past I felt s bit sorry for myself now I realise that the little things we do make the most difference . I don't want this story to frighten people I walk as good as anyone I enjoy life but the one thing I do now which I didn't do before is I take my Bs regularly. If it is high don't stress about it just adjust your insulin to suit. It's not the end of the world . We are all individuals and one day is as different as the next. I Don't be frightened to move your insulin about. At the end of the day we are only trying to replicate what our pancreas is doing( all be it non automatically) . I know diabetes affects people in different ways and my attitude now won't suit everybody . I've had diabetes 37 years and my control for 34 years of that has been well **** to be honest .not through lack of knowledge but through . lack of respect. But I am still here in very good health. Technology these days is developing all the time, I am trailing the new Libre meter ( I've read varying options on this but must say for ease of use it's fantastic so helpful if you working I should imagine) but technology is only as good as the user. I was told when I first became diabetic the only thing I couldn't do was be a pilot or a long distance driver, times have changed but diabetes is something we live with , people without it don't understand.

joshluck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am currently going through this right now, but I’m trying to get back on track one day at a time. It’s difficult, I have a family that no matter how many times a try to educate them a little so that maybe they can understand more, do not seem to listen. My girlfriend who is currently carrying my child also doesn’t listen or respect the impact living with this has on a person. I sometimes think to myself, maybe I shouldn’t treat this hypo. See what happens and maybe then people will take notice. So I’m right there with you. It sucks but you just have to carry on and try.

Reactions: Ymdawd

zmoakley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice/rudeness/ignorance
I think this is exactly where I am at the moment, nothing seems to work...my dipstix always show a high reading and I really don't care any more - the other night, the exact words I used, were " oh well, if it kills me, it kills me". I haven't been diagnosed for long - only since last November, but I've had enough :cry:
Hi, my first post and its a moany one- apologies. I have been diagnosed with Type 2 since November 2015- I managed by diet to bring it down my Hba1c level from 64 to 48 and maintained it for two years. I am now on Metformin twice a day and my blood sugar readings are really high, my fasting one this morning was 10.9, I seem to have lost the ability to control it and am quite frankly fed up. I felt quite 'in control' initially but now feel like its running my life instead of the other way round. Any tips on regaining control, btw I'm generally a positive -can do type of person :)

ROMEO

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some may know me and the struggle I've had and having realising I'm diabetic.

I'm really struggling still I'm still eating sweets still eating chocolate and living like I was before diagnosed I'm not suicidal but I don't care I've tried every diet and pills possible to lose weight and now thinking f it I've tried so hard but now am injecting over 26 units of novorapid every time audit doesn't even touch the surface.

Has anyone had success with diet pills alone I'm not very active due to osteoarthritis that has developed in my hip. I have will power but it's got me nowhere and I even though I'm eating less than 1000 calories a day the weight is increasing all the time that's why I've adopted this attitude I'm not looking for any sympathy here I do realise I'm master of my own downfall.

Reactions: Freema