1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diabetes Burnout.

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by catherinecherub, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Mep

Mep Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear you're struggling :( I don't know if perhaps your weight gain is triggered by medications? I'm on quite a few medications and I find any time I have dosage adjustments or changes in drugs I seem to gain weight. I'm also trying to lose weight at the moment. I feel your pain. It's certainly a journey. Just keep trying though and see what works for you. Also if you're only on 1000 calories per day it may not be enough to trigger your body to drop the weight. I say that because I was watching a show today where a trainer was discussing the importance of not starving your body of calories to lose weight and how you need to eat the right amount of calories to fuel your body correctly to drop the weight. Also he mentioned that starving the body is also starving it of nutrients. It's something to think about anyhow. I wish you the best. :)

• Like Like x 2
  2. ROMEO

ROMEO Type 1 · Member

Hi Mep

Thanks for your kind words of support. I'm sorry you're experiencing similar concerns as me.

The point you make about not enough calories is an eye opener my basic understanding was less calories less weight gain but on the flip side whatever calories I'm eating the body automatically stores which is where I'm going wrong.

I'm now 12st exactly and 5ft 6in male so above my BMI I'm actually type 3c only learnt that recently as my diabetes was as a result of pancreas failure.

I hope you succeed in your goals and thanks for being positive for me really appreciate it l'll keep in touch

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mep

Mep Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You're welcome :)

I'm currently playing around with diet myself to try and get things right. That show I mentioned he was training a 23yo disabled man who decided to drop his calories drastically to lose more weight during the program. The trainer found out and said he had put him on a 1800 calorie per day diet for a reason. The doctor did blood tests on the man and found he was deficient in nutrients so it meant he had to cut back on activity level to build up his nutrients again. Now this man dropped over 200lbs in a year so that is a huge weight loss and he was on a tight program of working out and calorie control diet of 1800. What he achieved wouldn't be the norm for weight loss. I would think everyone is different. If you don't do much during the day, then you'd use less calories. But it's finding that balance I think to get the body to drop the weight.

4. martin54uk

martin54uk Type 2 · Newbie

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jade0106

Jade0106 Type 1 · Active Member

Hi

• Like Like x 1
  6. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Hi, how are you ?

7. Natalie1993

Natalie1993 Type 1 · Active Member

Hi all, i think i could be experiencing this or a possible mental health problem, i have no clue which, lately i have been feeling like ****, im starting to hate my job which is started 8 months ago as i have moved away from family, im currently in a relationship which i do not want to destroy, im having mood swings to the point where i have no motivation to do anything at all, of course i inject tho, i dont feel happy, i want to cry, i lost my mum 9 years ago this year and that is still a daily struggle, can anyone suggest me speak to someone or is this just a phase?

• Hug Hug x 4
  8. Ragmar

Ragmar Type 2 · Well-Known Member

How have you been feeling lately? i hope things are improving for you. Has your partner helped you with this? and I'm sorry to hear about your mother, I'm honestly not ready for when that day comes but I suspect no one is. I'm not sure if it's the same for you but at my clinic they have a counselor who listens and provides support but I would suggest reaching out to your support circle at least to talk about this because it isn't healthy to keep this inside. It's what I did and it drove me crazy but I reached out to a counselor and feel loads better. Wishing you the best and I hope you are doing well/better, looking forward to your reply.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  9. Natalie1993

Hi, i have been feeling good lately to be honest, i have been out the past 2 days, i went to keswick with my partner yesterday which was nice to actually spend time together, it was also his idea, i went to airo force today with a friend and that was also nice, though i think i will experience being on high for a while and then feeling like **** after that, thank you for your kind words, i dont think i have ever been really happy since my mum passed as she was the world to me, i just hope i make her and my family proud, i do actually still need to get in contact with the drs to get an appt with a diabetes nurse so i can get back on track, i hope you are also well and happy?! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ragmar

@Natalie1993 I am doing fantastic! Spending time with loved ones is always good. When I'm down I find comfort in family and friends, I had to google Keswick and if it's the one I saw on google then it looks beautiful (Keswick Ontario). I too am from Canada and spent a few days in the wilderness doing ice fishing back in January.

Like you my mother is my world, I will always be a momma's boy and just hearing her voice calms me down. I just learned this phrase today and love it, Diabetes is a marathon! not a sprint! I wish you the best in your management and care.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Natalie1993

Hey! Glad you are doing well! Ha the one in canada sounds lovely, but im actually in the uk,cumbria. My boyfriend has a canadian accent though so hello to a fellow canadian . Ice fishing i have heard of too! Your words are really nice about you and your mum, i wish i could hear my mothers voice again but i know what she would tell me! Ha! That is a great quote! I hope it helps you a lot and also wish you the best :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. alf_Josiah

alf_Josiah Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Burnout yep, worse if our have other more life threatening conditions, knowing the facts for and from both helps enormously. This particular thread has explained much. Many thanks to all.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Ragmar

I watched this comedy skit from Patrice O'Neal, he was a stand up comedian who was diagnosed with type 2 at 23 years old. He died of a stroke at 41 I think because he didn't take his diagnosis seriously.

But back to the skit. He talked about how he was unable to just enjoy food, to make it brief

"I ate really well yesterday, so that means today I can eat...a leg of lamb!" But essentially the point he made was that this is forever and I'm fine with that. I'm only like two months in and I'm exploring what foods are safe and etc and having fun with it.

I don't know why that video brought me down, maybe it's because he died at 41 from a stroke. If he had taken his condition seriously he could've still been here hustling. I don't know. It just brought me down, and I was having a good night last night. I had 40 grams of whole wheat pasta, 100 grams of lean ground beef with some pasta sauce for dinner and one piece of garlic bread.

My sugar level was clean two hours after, I suspect it's the weight loss that's reversing the insulin resistance. I'm going to play it safe today and eat some low carb salad and eggs and chicken wraps

And lastly it's the numb finger, my right side pinky goes numb but like a livewire where it's all tingly. I went to the clinic and they said it's to be suspected, it's very mild because the sensation lasts only for a few minutes and only comes when I'm on my phone or reading a book.

#233 Ragmar, Apr 5, 2018 at 7:37 PM
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  14. LouWilk059

LouWilk059 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@Ragmar. FYI, when you have a high carb meal like that, you should test further, like at 3&4 hours. It can sneak up on you.

@Contralto. A dipstick (dipstix) is a measuring device, like for oil. Remove, wipe, dip, check level, return.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    #234 LouWilk059, Apr 5, 2018 at 7:54 PM
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  15. Ragmar

@LouWilk059 Thank you for looking out. The meal in itself was 58 grams of carbs. I only eat carb heavy meals before or after working out. I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not but I'm working on a meal plan. I work construction so I burn a lot of energy

16. Gork

Gork Type 2 · Well-Known Member

One of the worst things is when you work on your A1c and lower it by two whole numbers, the doctors and nurses do not notice or say anything about it. I brought it up and all I get if a "Oh yes, that is good". They never ask what I am doing to get it there.

I go in for other medical tests and never get any feed back there either. It is not even one specific doctor in. I had a 24 hour cardio monitor for a sudden heart condition. It has been four weeks and I have still not heard any results. I have checked in twice.

I went in for cognition tests. No one would discuss the results. It is as if the doctors involved worked it all out among themselves and left me (the specimen) out of the discussion.

What gives, am I not important here?

• Hug Hug x 2
  17. LouWilk059

LouWilk059 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Some people are invisible for some reason. I've been regularly overlooked while waiting in line to order food. They just ask the person behind me what they would like. There was also one time, while looking at product on a shelf (at eye level) a woman moved directly in front of me. She was so close her hair was in my face.

So, just to say, you are not unimportant. For some reason, we just blend in. We are too ordinary and normal.

I often wondered if I would be successful as a bank robber!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    #237 LouWilk059, Apr 11, 2018 at 12:57 AM
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  18. Gork

Gork Type 2 · Well-Known Member

In one year, I went from A1c of 9, to 8.2, to 7.6 and then 6.3 in four consecutive blood tests. Believe it or not, it was of little note for discussion. After I bring it up, suddenly they are interested, But I wonder if they really are.

My answer was the development of a computer program to remind me to measure, tell me how much insulin to take, and create reports accordingly. 6.3!

• Like Like x 1
  19. nomorechoccy

nomorechoccy · Active Member

I have been getting really fed up, not just with diabetes.

I handed my notice in last week after changes at work made it too stressful, so am now jobless.

It is coming up to the 2nd anniversary of my partners death and as a result of her passing and losing a job have had to move back to Bristol. Leaving the few friends I had behind.

I am finding it so wearing trying to eat well, I miss being able to make a sandwich think I might go back to quack and discuss medication.

• Hug Hug x 6
  20. Carolann13

Carolann13 Type 1 · Member

So sorry to read your difficulty, but your not on your own, after 40 being T1D mental health problems are part of being diabetic, I know because I feel the same, it's hard to talk to anyone you think, nobody cares, you draw into yourself, but your not alone, I'm here anytime you need a chat about anything, life is hard enough without having to worry about low blood sugars, meals constantly 24/7, I normally hide away myself for days on end, I was paid off from the caring NHS after my diabetes complications became a problem, I had to fight to win my disability case, eventually winnings after a court hearing, so your not alone my friend, here anytime for you. Chin up, once your feeling better, things will look different.

Regards
    Carolann xx

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook