Does anyone think that only calories from carbs can make you fat?

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OK, I will try to explain something I don’t agree with…..
The number of calories needed for a constant weight, with a constant activity level depends on someone’s weight. Hence a diet that allows a 30 stone person to lose weight will not allow a 15 stone person to do so. After all we all know that a HGV gets a lower MPG then a small car......
(I don’t agree that it is this simple….)
Thank you @ringi,
I appreciate your sincere effort! ;o)
And I agree that it is not all that simple, but your attitude and explanation goes a long way!
Thumbs up!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The same calculator tells me I need 1800 calories to stay the same weight. I eat way more than that in a typical day but my weight remains stable, thank goodness.

But did the calculator have a tick box for being a dog owner......

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have just read a new post by a member who has had success with LCHF diet and still thinking of this thread it came to me that I have not yet seen a new post that reads something along the lines of 'I have lowered my A1c and been taken off meds all thanks to my High Carb Low Fat Diet'.

I have not been a member very long so perhaps members can tell me if/how often they see posts like that, please.

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I disagree. Stonehenge. South American indiginous peoples. Knowledge of the stars and the seasons. No one thought the earth was flat, that was a much later construct.
Guzzler, I am totally lost. What is it that you disagree with??? And why don't you address your message to the person who brought up the flat earth concept in the first place??? I even refer to the earlier days where the spherical model was well acknowledged by scholars and then also to 'the later construct' where some started to postulate the flat earth concept.

This is anyway way off topic, so suggest you read this Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth
You may be surprised about the first couple of paragraphs stating the opposite of your post.
And then take the discussion to the right forum. My involvement in this silliness stops here.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The same calculator tells me I need 1800 calories to stay the same weight. I eat way more than that in a typical day but my weight remains stable, thank goodness.

Have you calculated your daily calories, mine break down something like this, where are you getting more?

Breakfast 400kcal (12g carbs)
Lunch 400kcal ( 15g carbs)
Dinner 700kcal (25g carbs)
3 x White Coffee 60kcal (6g carbs)
500ml Beer 170kcal (15g carbs)
30g Nuts 200kcal (2g carbs)

TOTAL 1,930kcal (75g carbs)

This is a bit off topic but not as far as Stonehenge.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Guzzler, I am totally lost. What is it that you disagree with??? And why don't you address your message to the person who brought up the flat earth concept in the first place??? I even refer to the earlier days where the spherical model was well acknowledged by scholars and then also to 'the later construct' where some started to postulate the flat earth concept.

This is anyway way off topic, so suggest you read this Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth
You may be surprised about the first couple of paragraphs stating the opposite of your post.
And then take the discussion to the right forum. My involvement in this silliness stops here.
The f
Have you calculated your daily calories, mine break down something like this, where are you getting more?

Apologies, I should not have joined in that positively off topic.... topic.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just read a new post by a member who has had success with LCHF diet and still thinking of this thread it came to me that I have not yet seen a new post that reads something along the lines of 'I have lowered my A1c and been taken off meds all thanks to my High Carb Low Fat Diet'.

I have not been a member very long so perhaps members can tell me if/how often they see posts like that, please.

People do not tend to say when they do something different to LCHF because of getting a negative response or not very nice comments which has happened to some. Of course that should not happen and we should respect what ever people do without criticism

Reactions: himtoo

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People do not tend to say when they do something different to LCHF because of getting a negative response or not very nice comments which has happened to some. Of course that should not happen and we should respect what ever people do without criticism

I agree, we choose our paths and if the path we do choose results in improved health then that should be applauded.

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I have not noticed anyone with a success story getting a negative response or not very nice comments. Are there examples in the success story thread? Where can I find them? I'd be very interested to read about other successful approaches.

Reactions: Kentoldlady1

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I don't do any counting any more. I gave up in 2015 as it was same old, same old. I eat a lot of fat and protein. I am not afraid of protein and don't avoid it. Same with fats. I eat to my meter and scales. If I see an odd pound trending upwards I reduce the cheese or eggs or wine for a few days.. I don't eat breakfasts at all, just a coffee with cream, and I don't snack or eat anything between meals, but there again, I never have done.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
this is a fabulous topic and I have read all of it with interest.

just to query the available assistance here

me = type 1 , daily calorie intake approx. 1100 cal carbs 124
TDD ( 50-52 units ) bolus approx. 24.6u , basal 25.8u

on a pump :)

weight approx. 98kg -- unable to lose weight at all on the current numbers over the past year
also taking 75mcg levothyroxine ( for hypothyroid )

have tried reducing carbs to circa 80 per day with
no weight loss ( for about 6 months )

any ideas ?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
this is a fabulous topic and I have read all of it with interest.

just to query the available assistance here

me = type 1 , daily calorie intake approx. 1100 cal carbs 124
TDD ( 50-52 units ) bolus approx. 24.6u , basal 25.8u

on a pump :)

weight approx. 98kg -- unable to lose weight at all on the current numbers over the past year
also taking 75mcg levothyroxine ( for hypothyroid )

have tried reducing carbs to circa 80 per day with
no weight loss ( for about 6 months )

any ideas ?

Are you happy to drop your carbs even more, say to 50g., and increase your fats?

Reactions: himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
thanks for the offer but I have done days with ultra low carb and fasting days as well -- and unfortunately I still experience hypos --- and BG swings -- the numbers I gave were averages --
unfortunately routine works best for my BG's - but makes it difficult to lose weight

I have many days with BG's between 4.5- 6.5 all day including my 124 carb intake -- so I am full aware of "keeping in range"
I just am unable to lose weight at all -- ( I suspect my hypothyroid is the main protagonist in the area )

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks for the offer but I have done days with ultra low carb and fasting days as well -- and unfortunately I still experience hypos --- and BG swings -- the numbers I gave were averages --
unfortunately routine works best for my BG's - but makes it difficult to lose weight

I have many days with BG's between 4.5- 6.5 all day including my 124 carb intake -- so I am full aware of "keeping in range"
I just am unable to lose weight at all -- ( I suspect my hypothyroid is the main protagonist in the area )

It could be your current calorie intake is too low for you. It does seem low to me . If we eat too few calories over a certain period of time our bodies go in to starvation mode and our metabolisms slow down, any fat is stored for emergency energy use. The body clings to every bit of body fat it can. Perhaps you could try just increasing your calories with extra fats to give yourself a kick start.?

Reactions: ringi and Guzzler

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
willing to give it a go ...............will try and report back in a couple of weeks !

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Bluetit1802

What are your thoughts on PFT and do you think that you have reached yours or gone below that?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm no expert on the science behind it.. but my two pennorth would be that excess fat that the body doesn;t use would either be excreted or burnt up in a raised metabolism (probably both). There was an interesting talk at Low Carb Breckenridge about brown and white fat cells from I think Ben Bikman which I recall explained it quite well..
I think that's the one although I will admit I saw it ages ago so could be wrong.

Another good video, thanks for posting. I do hope that the OP views this and that the proponents of CICO also take the half hour to watch.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Naiman on IR and its relationship to glucose and fats.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bluetit1802

What are your thoughts on PFT and do you think that you have reached yours or gone below that?

I really don't have many thoughts about it! To me personally, my PFT is where I think I look well, feel well, and have good blood markers whilst eating more or less what I want, with the exception of carbs apart from potatoes. (I do eat spuds in small portions).
I believe I am spot on, and where my body likes me to be as I haven't gained or lost any weight since losing it all 3 years ago, other than the usual small fluctuations.