1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Does anyone think that only calories from carbs can make you fat?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Tannith, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Celsus

Celsus Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thank you @ringi,
    I appreciate your sincere effort! ;o)
    And I agree that it is not all that simple, but your attitude and explanation goes a long way!
    Thumbs up!

2. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

But did the calculator have a tick box for being a dog owner......

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

I have just read a new post by a member who has had success with LCHF diet and still thinking of this thread it came to me that I have not yet seen a new post that reads something along the lines of 'I have lowered my A1c and been taken off meds all thanks to my High Carb Low Fat Diet'.

I have not been a member very long so perhaps members can tell me if/how often they see posts like that, please.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Celsus

Celsus Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Guzzler, I am totally lost. What is it that you disagree with??? And why don't you address your message to the person who brought up the flat earth concept in the first place??? I even refer to the earlier days where the spherical model was well acknowledged by scholars and then also to 'the later construct' where some started to postulate the flat earth concept.

This is anyway way off topic, so suggest you read this Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth
    You may be surprised about the first couple of paragraphs stating the opposite of your post.
    And then take the discussion to the right forum. My involvement in this silliness stops here.

5. Tannith

Tannith · Well-Known Member

Yes, thank you. And the response to your posts was a guide to what people on here think.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Have you calculated your daily calories, mine break down something like this, where are you getting more?

Breakfast 400kcal (12g carbs)
    Lunch 400kcal ( 15g carbs)
    Dinner 700kcal (25g carbs)
    3 x White Coffee 60kcal (6g carbs)
    500ml Beer 170kcal (15g carbs)
    30g Nuts 200kcal (2g carbs)

TOTAL 1,930kcal (75g carbs)

This is a bit off topic but not as far as Stonehenge.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

The f
    Apologies, I should not have joined in that positively off topic.... topic.

8. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

People do not tend to say when they do something different to LCHF because of getting a negative response or not very nice comments which has happened to some. Of course that should not happen and we should respect what ever people do without criticism

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

I agree, we choose our paths and if the path we do choose results in improved health then that should be applauded.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. woodywhippet61

woodywhippet61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have not noticed anyone with a success story getting a negative response or not very nice comments. Are there examples in the success story thread? Where can I find them? I'd be very interested to read about other successful approaches.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

I don't do any counting any more. I gave up in 2015 as it was same old, same old. I eat a lot of fat and protein. I am not afraid of protein and don't avoid it. Same with fats. I eat to my meter and scales. If I see an odd pound trending upwards I reduce the cheese or eggs or wine for a few days.. I don't eat breakfasts at all, just a coffee with cream, and I don't snack or eat anything between meals, but there again, I never have done.

12. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

this is a fabulous topic and I have read all of it with interest.

just to query the available assistance here

me = type 1 , daily calorie intake approx. 1100 cal carbs 124
    TDD ( 50-52 units ) bolus approx. 24.6u , basal 25.8u

on a pump :)

weight approx. 98kg -- unable to lose weight at all on the current numbers over the past year
    also taking 75mcg levothyroxine ( for hypothyroid )

have tried reducing carbs to circa 80 per day with
    no weight loss ( for about 6 months )

any ideas ?

13. Bluetit1802

Are you happy to drop your carbs even more, say to 50g., and increase your fats?

• Like Like x 1
  14. himtoo

Retired Moderator

thanks for the offer but I have done days with ultra low carb and fasting days as well -- and unfortunately I still experience hypos --- and BG swings -- the numbers I gave were averages --
    unfortunately routine works best for my BG's - but makes it difficult to lose weight

I have many days with BG's between 4.5- 6.5 all day including my 124 carb intake -- so I am full aware of "keeping in range"
    I just am unable to lose weight at all -- ( I suspect my hypothyroid is the main protagonist in the area )

15. Bluetit1802

It could be your current calorie intake is too low for you. It does seem low to me . If we eat too few calories over a certain period of time our bodies go in to starvation mode and our metabolisms slow down, any fat is stored for emergency energy use. The body clings to every bit of body fat it can. Perhaps you could try just increasing your calories with extra fats to give yourself a kick start.?

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. himtoo

Retired Moderator

willing to give it a go ...............will try and report back in a couple of weeks !

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

@Bluetit1802

What are your thoughts on PFT and do you think that you have reached yours or gone below that?

18. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Another good video, thanks for posting. I do hope that the OP views this and that the proponents of CICO also take the half hour to watch.

19. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Naiman on IR and its relationship to glucose and fats.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Bluetit1802

I really don't have many thoughts about it! To me personally, my PFT is where I think I look well, feel well, and have good blood markers whilst eating more or less what I want, with the exception of carbs apart from potatoes. (I do eat spuds in small portions).
    I believe I am spot on, and where my body likes me to be as I haven't gained or lost any weight since losing it all 3 years ago, other than the usual small fluctuations.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook