hey does alcohol prevent fatburning ?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hey as many has been telling in here the emidiate effect of alcohol in type 2 diabetes is that it slows the liver a bit and thereby actually lowers blood glucose a bit in type 2 diabetic that usually do have a higher rate than average non-diabtics when it comes to the liver converting proteins into blood glucose but now I stumbled over this article ; claiming that the intake of alcohol do slow the fat-burning by up till 70% ..

and that is what I consider a disaster to all us type 2 that are also obese and fight with all the extra kg-body-weight

what do you know, has any of you knowledge of alcohol slowing fat-metabolism ?

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/md19.htm

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It is definitely the case that the liver tackles the alcohol in the bloodstream first, as it is the most urgent thing to deal with.
However - surely you'd have to be drinking all day every day for it to be a serious impact on fat burning.
In the study the men were given lemonade with vodka in it - there would have been sugar in the lemonade - there is no mention of it being a diet version. I'd be interested to see the same experiment with just the lemonade, without the vodka.
It can be difficult to take some experiments seriously when the method is not rigorous in its approach to the hypothesis it is testing.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
You have to remember that all T2's are not fat.
I was fourteen stone and just six foot three when I was diagnosed so nothing like fat.
I also had never been into fizzy drinks sweets chocolates crisps snacking etc.
Most of my life two meals a day.
Breakfast and tea ... the one some of you wrongly call dinner :p so I don't tick any of the usual boxes.
Quite a lot of us like that.
I put my T2 appearing down to taking Statins which I don't take any longer.
Whiskey lowers my bg levels a little red wine doesn't seem to do anything either way and not weighing myself very often I don't know about that bit.
I gave up beer as it really is liquid bread.
Nowt to do with the alcohol I know.

Reactions: TIANDB

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You have to remember that all T2's are not fat.
I was fourteen stone and just six foot three when I was diagnosed so nothing like fat.
I also had never been into fizzy drinks sweets chocolates crisps snacking etc.
Most of my life two meals a day.
Breakfast and tea ... the one some of you wrongly call dinner :p so I don't tick any of the usual boxes.
Quite a lot of us like that.
I put my T2 appearing down to taking Statins which I don't take any longer.
Whiskey lowers my bg levels a little red wine doesn't seem to do anything either way and not weighing myself very often I don't know about that bit.
I gave up beer as it really is liquid bread.
Nowt to do with the alcohol I know.

well yes I know that... but then fatburning that is lowered a lot is I guess mostly a problem to the obese part of us type 2´s as we could become fatter and fatter and thereby adding a lot of in the end deady conditions , maybe more than those of us that are rather lean

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is definitely the case that the liver tackles the alcohol in the bloodstream first, as it is the most urgent thing to deal with.
However - surely you'd have to be drinking all day every day for it to be a serious impact on fat burning.
In the study the men were given lemonade with vodka in it - there would have been sugar in the lemonade - there is no mention of it being a diet version. I'd be interested to see the same experiment with just the lemonade, without the vodka.
It can be difficult to take some experiments seriously when the method is not rigorous in its approach to the hypothesis it is testing.

yes I think there is a grave fault in this experiment too , not making it relaible enough to come to that conclusion...

many people do however drink a lot every weekend with friends nowadays and if this might prevent those from burning fat for a longer period after it could be a tripwire for many even if they eat more healthy all the rest of the week...

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect - thinking about it, that the main danger of drinking is that the ability to resist temptation is reduced, so a few drinks and it might seem a really good idea to indulge in a carb heavy meal to soak up the booze.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect - thinking about it, that the main danger of drinking is that the ability to resist temptation is reduced, so a few drinks and it might seem a really good idea to indulge in a carb heavy meal to soak up the booze.

yes you are surely right when I was young I got really low blood glucose from drinking a lot of red wine so low I would fall asleep if I didn´t have some sugar.. very unstable blood glucose in these days ...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It has been known since I was a babe in arms that alcohol causes weight gain, especially around the trunk - hence the expression beer belly. It is very calorific, whether it be beer or wine. Drinking a lot of it will make us gain weight. Drinking a glass of wine will not.

Red wine in moderation is very good for the health - it is very heart friendly and full of antioxidants. It is a recommended drink for this reason, but only a glass a day.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It has been known since I was a babe in arms that alcohol causes weight gain, especially around the trunk - hence the expression beer belly. It is very calorific, whether it be beer or wine. Drinking a lot of it will make us gain weight. Drinking a glass of wine will not.

Red wine in moderation is very good for the health - it is very heart friendly and full of antioxidants. It is a recommended drink for this reason, but only a glass a day.

well yes , I used to be lean at the time I drank a lot of red wine, the last 20 years I haven´t been drinking much , mostly like 2 glasses a month, a bit more lately and I only became obese after almost stopping drinking red wine regulary...

maybe it also depennds on which type o alcoholic drink one prefers

Sean0711

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Freema I can see you are from Denmark, I love it there visit Amsterdam a lot when I frequent the coffee shops the feeling I get is often like I am having a hypo always check my sugar and it usually fine! And it's a lot safer than alcohol!

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Freema I can see you are from Denmark, I love it there visit Amsterdam a lot when I frequent the coffee shops the feeling I get is often like I am having a hypo always check my sugar and it usually fine! And it's a lot safer than alcohol!

you a so kind, Amsterdam is in the Nederlands /Holland but our mentality is very similar .. in many ways also in having a more caring society, with more help to the needy than most countries and a very high "wage" for students so one can actually live from it while studying and the young party a lot ( with a lot of booze or wine ) the higher educated the more it seems many times...

S

serenity648

I am very lucky. One of my husbands hobbies is making his own wine, from fruit we or friends have grown, or berries we pick from the hedgerows round here in the Autumn. They are very tasty and a little goes a long way.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.

Whiskey in moderation is good too.
It brings a smile to my face and a lovely relaxed feeling.
I drink half a bottle a fortnight.

Reactions: TIANDB