Bit of a wobble

jimmysmith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone, I just need to get this this out. I'm so tired of it all, the constant vigilance of my bloods, the constant worry of what's happening to them when I sleep, knowing without a shadow of a doubt that when I wake up I'm going to be in the teens once again and really struggle to get them fown to single figures. I'm tired of the constant calculations and carb counting I'm having to do and knowing that, eveb though I'm really trying, nothing is working. I'm just so tired of it all :'(

Sorry, it's been building up for a while and I just need to let loose a bit before I broke down at work.

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey everyone, I just need to get this this out. I'm so tired of it all, the constant vigilance of my bloods, the constant worry of what's happening to them when I sleep, knowing without a shadow of a doubt that when I wake up I'm going to be in the teens once again and really struggle to get them fown to single figures. I'm tired of the constant calculations and carb counting I'm having to do and knowing that, eveb though I'm really trying, nothing is working. I'm just so tired of it all :'(

Sorry, it's been building up for a while and I just need to let loose a bit before I broke down at work.

Sorry to hear you’re struggling.
We all feel like this at times!

Have you thought about why you’re waking in the teens in the morning? I find if I can get my morning right then the rest of the day follows suit.

May be worth contacting your diabetes team to see if they can help you sort that out.

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't offer much advice or great tips as I'm only starting out myself on this journey.

One thing I will say though, I was a somewhat negative person before all this, not overly, but it was there. Heck, I may even be negative again at some point. But, this is here now, it's not going away, so I personally am going to embrace it, look after myself and work with all willing to help, I'm not taking it all on my own shoulders. When you feel angry, maybe go for a small walk, look around and take it in. Try not to let it get on top, find your way of dealing with it.

May be generic advice, felt like I should contribute. Good luck.

Reactions: Dodo and Juicyj

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling. I guess I'm luckier as my bloods are more predictable. It sounds like your Basal may need to be increased a bit to get the morning highs down a bit, but I can only guess? Are you getting good support from your DN? Let us know a bit more on your diet and injection regime if you think we can help in any way. Take care.

D

Deleted Account

Really sorry to read of your problems.

A few thoughts (in addition to contacting your healthcare team)
- Do you have one of those meters which do the calculations for you? Unfortunately, they don'y carb count but if you give the meter your BG (or just your blood - it can calculate the BG) and the total carbs, it knows how much insulin you have on board and will tell you your dose.
- I find when I have high BG (for me this is above 12), I need to increase my correction dose by at least 50% to bring it down.
- Are you ill? Illness (or stress) will increase your BG and you will need to take extra insulin as your body releases more sugar to "sooth" your body.

Good luck.

jimmysmith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone.
I'm carb counting with a ratio of 10g equals 1 unit and correction of 1 unit brings me down 2. Originally my basal was 26 but that seemed to be dropping me and making me jump up so me and my DN lowered it to 24.
My DN is very good and supportive. Had a week of a CGM that I just finished and had to keep a diary. I've got an appointment to discuss the results next Thursday.
Only thing I can think of is tge Dawn Effect but it only seems to happen sometimes. I dunno

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey @jimmysmith I tend to find I need to eat upon rising to curb the DP rise, even if it's a small yoghurt just food on board helps massively.

I know when I start the day with high BG levels the rest of the morning is catch up and yes it does affect my mood, you sound like you've got a good DSN on board so that's a great help. @helensaramay is right this time of year is ripe for bugs so maybe there's something you're fighting which is pushing you higher ? See if you can get an email address for your nurse, i've found if I ping mine a message I get a quick response without feeling like a pain. Just remember you're not alone and it will improve :)

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it's just tough sometimes. Even good BG days I sometimes think, this is like painting the Forth bridge - tomorrow you start again from scratch.
If sometimes you feel like punching a cushion or screaming out loud, go for it!

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling. I guess I'm luckier as my bloods are more predictable. It sounds like your Basal may need to be increased a bit to get the morning highs down a bit, but I can only guess? Are you getting good support from your DN? Let us know a bit more on your diet and injection regime if you think we can help in any way. Take care.

Not always basal unfortunately. Libre showed my basal to be bang on in night. Dreaded dawn phenomenon! From 4am a blood glucose rocket is launched. Apart from setting alarm and injecting, only other option would be a pump. Not eligible at moment. Its probably because I’m a morning person.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think we all have a wobble from time to time. It’s only human. Nothing wrong with it, it allows us to pick ourselves up and forge on, as we must. Had a spectacular meltdown at Christmas last year, 3 years into having this disease. Screamed, cried, shouted and stomped. ( Husband calmly picked up the pieces afterwards) Alcohol May have helped! Didn’t half feel better afterwards though.

Lordy100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not many things
Interesting to read other people's experiences, makes you feel you are not alone. My BGs have been all over the place for the last week and I can only put it down to perhaps having a virus in the background. Oh well I'll keep monitoring and trying to adjust. I seem to adjust all day and then I get a steep slope downwards just when I'm going home. Blooming Type1. :banghead:

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The CGM sounds like a good idea to me. Sounds like you'll get a handle on it soon. Good luck!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Yes, we all certainly get wobbles and the fed up moments from coping..

A full singing dancing cgm is great but you would have to check out with your nurse / consultant about whether your CCG will fund them.

The second would be whether you would consider a pump to cope or would the extra initial testing and adjusting put you off?

There are a few things to try in the interim..

Do some basal testing during days and a few nights and this will clarify where more or less may be needed, but also whether you get dawn and / or waking phenomenen.

Do also try to keep meals 5 hours a part (unless hypo and needing to eat) and test 2,3, 4 and 5 hours afterwards. If you are high or low 2-3 hours after eating then this is more likely to be your bolus...

Not all people that have Dawn phenomenon can eat... for some, like me, eating makes levels horrendous. So if you have morning troubles with levels do some basal testing for mornings and then find out what happens with food...

I am probably quite extreme with my insulin needs. I have 3 basal injections a day and they start now at 3am in morning. So, I can 100% empathise with anybody saying they are fed up with testing and injecting. Me too sometimes, but I am fortunate enough to have a funded CGM currently.

Have ypu read any of the recommended books for diabetes?

Nurse help etc can be great but you will also need to become happier with adjusting your own doses etc.

Also some people experience changes in insulin needs around seasons changing. Mines always the clocks changing and I always have to be alwrt for a severe hypo in July each year...

newposterhere

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Hello
I have the utmost sympathy for how you are feeling. When I was in a bad place , I found myself analysing the reasons for 'carrying on', and came up with the following : making my grandchildren laugh, listening to Brahms on my ridiculously expensive headphones ( I couldn't afford the speakers), remembering my brother, helping my children, and realising that we don't get that much time to do what we need to, so making the most of the time we have is important to those around us. I know the rigmarole of glucose monitoring, card management and the rest id it is a chore, but the end result is worth it. Persevere. You are worth the effort.

jellybelly55

I am new to this too but have found this forum really helpful and informative, still learning
Me too!! On insulin four weeks then off and on meds, didn't work, buried my head as had a bad experiencewith the diabetic doc but back on track and back on insulin for the past four weeks.. such a rollercoaster ride!

Reactions: donnellysdogs