Struggling

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
I have found since reaching a good place reading wise on blood sugars that I feel a little cast a drift by the NHS - left to just get on with it - but since then I have noticed that bit by bit I am slowly creeping back to the way I was - gaining weight - getting higher blood sugar readings.
Any helpful advice on how to get back on track would be really appreciated - I don't want to undo all the good work and it was hard to do in the first place - I still have a lot of weight to lose so putting it back on is depressing.
It all feels like it is slipping away and it is beginning to make me feel down.
Breakfast is fine - Natural Full-Fat Greek Yogurt
The Lunch and Dinner can be the downfall. I am fairly good at avoiding snacking so it is just the meals.
I do try and fast one day a week and I am fine until I start to eat and then I simply do not want to stop - don't eat because I am hungry because it is rare for me to actually feel hungry and even then it will only last a short while and will pass. So I guess I am a comfort eater and life is very stressful for me at times.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have found since reaching a good place reading wise on blood sugars that I feel a little cast a drift by the NHS - left to just get on with it - but since then I have noticed that bit by bit I am slowly creeping back to the way I was - gaining weight - getting higher blood sugar readings.
Any helpful advice on how to get back on track would be really appreciated - I don't want to undo all the good work and it was hard to do in the first place - I still have a lot of weight to lose so putting it back on is depressing.
It all feels like it is slipping away and it is beginning to make me feel down.
Breakfast is fine - Natural Full-Fat Greek Yogurt
The Lunch and Dinner can be the downfall. I am fairly good at avoiding snacking so it is just the meals.
I do try and fast one day a week and I am fine until I start to eat and then I simply do not want to stop - don't eat because I am hungry because it is rare for me to actually feel hungry and even then it will only last a short while and will pass. So I guess I am a comfort eater and life is very stressful for me at times.
Hi. It would help of you could indicate what was the good work that was doing the biz for you i.e. meds, tyoe of diet, supplements etc. Some here use Intermittent Fasting as a mean of control, but IF is easily undone if you then have major meals to celebrate (bit like Eid Festival) Your breakfast is fine, but what type of meals do you have later?

Many T2D here find that following the standard NHS or ADA diet as epitomised by Eatwell Plate to be a poor way of controlling bgl and weight. There are many diets decribe on this site, such as Atkins, Mediterranean, Paleo, Low GI, which may prove to be more effective. I personally use a Low Carb diet since science (and my glucose meter) has demonstrated that carbohydrate intake directly relates to blood glucose levels, so reducing carbs is an easy way to lower sugar levels.

The advice I can give is to get a bgl meter and then do 'eat to meter' . You seem to post often on this forum, and have just viewed a bgl / diet thread, so this suggests you are looking in the right places. Your doctor is right that it is your responsibility to take control, but there are many good people here who will add support if you ask for it. Ask away....

PS Metformin alone is not very good at reducing bgl, and if this is the only med you take, then yes, there are diets that can help. Better to change diet than add more meds.

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you.

Meds: Metformin 1000mg twice a day, Sitagliptin 500mg once a day

In order to get the blood sugars down to a good point 5.0 - it was virtually cut carbs out to around 30 grams a day - I found it really difficult and have not been able to stick to this.

Today's lunch - curry and rice - very poor choice - blood sugars spiked at 12.5 - trouble is this is my favorite meal.... I tried cauliflower rice but did not like it and ended up throwing it away.

Good meal options are cheese and salad (tomato, cucumber with a little beetroot)

Evening meals always been a struggle as getting home from work and cooking a meal I find hard - just want to eat immediately
Still I will keep trying and I will keep searching the forum for meal ideas that might work, I know I am a difficult one were food is concerned as there is a lot I will not eat...........

Reactions: OrsonKartt

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That is where I started and did not find the recipes that good for me........ but thank you for taking the time to reply.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you.

Meds: Metformin 1000mg twice a day, Sitagliptin 500mg once a day

In order to get the blood sugars down to a good point 5.0 - it was virtually cut carbs out to around 30 grams a day - I found it really difficult and have not been able to stick to this.

Today's lunch - curry and rice - very poor choice - blood sugars spiked at 12.5 - trouble is this is my favorite meal.... I tried cauliflower rice but did not like it and ended up throwing it away.

Good meal options are cheese and salad (tomato, cucumber with a little beetroot)

Evening meals always been a struggle as getting home from work and cooking a meal I find hard - just want to eat immediately
Still I will keep trying and I will keep searching the forum for meal ideas that might work, I know I am a difficult one were food is concerned as there is a lot I will not eat...........
I love good curry myself. Nowadays I cook the curry and then use Lidl high protein roll instead of the rice. I find it filling, and quite acceptable. But since going LCHF, I have found my pancreas has recovered a bit, and I am more carb tolerant as a result. I can now eat a bit of Basmatti (or Patna) rice without too much grief. But an apple pie slice is deadly....

Edit to add: If you find good meals that can freeze ok then make more than one meal at a time, and save some for another day.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
What I find helpful, if I am going to eat a ready meal, like curry with rice, I will half the portion of rice. Most of it is put in as a cheap filler anyway. then eat a good quality cheese as a dessert. During the autumn/winter months I have a stock pot almost always on the go, I just top up occasionally with extra veg or meat. So I currently have cauliflower, tomato, cabbage and leek in the pot. That will provide a quick filling meal when I get in from work tomorrow. I can also take a couple of ladles to work for mid-day, then at the beginning of next week start again. It is economic, reduces the 'thinking' part of what to eat when I get home and I can plan the low carb vege preparation to a time that suits me.

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I will try the stew - I have a small slow cooker - thank you. I will also try to make several meals when I have the time and use them when I really feel I cannot stand and cook.
Well I am food shopping tonight and have got the Welsh Cake Recipe to see if I can get the ingredients to have a go - something for pudding a real treat as puds are the hardest for me. I have to be really careful about fruit so may amend the fruit a little.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I fancy a curry, I dont bother with rice but instead have one of these, some salad and mayde some raita ( if i can be bothered to make it! )
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Josephs-Whole-Wheat-Pitta-Bread/dp/B00OFX62E6
In terms of portion control, the main helpful thing I have noticed for myself, is that as total carbs in a meal increases above a certain point ( for me about 20odd grams a meal) the less time it fills me for and the less good it is for my BS levels

Last edited:
Reactions: OrsonKartt

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Currry is one of my faves. Nowadays I have it with either just broccoli, or cauliflower rice. Although you don't like cauliflower rice, you may find -- over time -- that your tastes change. This is a weird effect of going low-carb; but I don't know whether it happens to everyone.

We make the cauliflower rice from scratch in a food processor. I have not tried the pre-made supermarket version but assume that it tastes the same....

Mark_1

We make the cauliflower rice from scratch in a food processor. I have not tried the pre-made supermarket version but assume that it tastes the same....

No. For some reason the prepackaged stuff tastes, smells and looks awful. Your right to stick with the homemade.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I have a curry, I don't bother with rice, I just have it with more curry. The way I look at it is, I'm leaving off the bland, nothingness stuff (taste-wise), and having more deliciousness.

Getting the balance right can be a challenge for any of us.

Have you asked your practice if you could have reviews more frequents, as you're feeling like the longer periods between are meaning you're letting you control lapse a bit, but more frequent tests would help you stay better motivated?

If it were me, I'd be inclined to try that..

I hope you can find something to help.

Vidgren

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The trick is to quit eating carbs. And i mean really quit. I know almost every food contain some carbs, but im talking about rice, pasta, potatoes, bread...

Stopped eating carbs when i was diagnosed in may and now i dont miss rice or pasta.

I havent eaten it once since may and i will never ever eat it again.

Cauliflower rice tastes better and better.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fasting is a problem for you - therefore do not fast.
I can't fast without my blood sugar rising to silly numbers, so I don't.
I keep my meals as widely spaced as practical and eat twice a day.
First meal is fairly low carb, and I often eat a dessert after dinner - admittedly I wait two hours to test sometimes, but I know that I am less resistant to insulin later in the day than earlier - if I eat my first meal with no carb, or at lunch time, I have the symptoms of hypoglycemia and nosedive in late afternoon.
Try out various strategies and see what works best - but I suspect that if you keep eating high carb foods - even if it is only once every few days, that you will not make progress as you reset your metabolism back to where you started and then you begin all over again.