Hot, salty bone broth. Fasting again.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I blo*dy love the stuff.

I did a six day fast earlier this year (easy peasy) and I’m currently cuddling a hot mug on day one of this fast.
I’m bone shopping later to make another big pot and I have my own favourite recipe but I’d love to hear yours.

Lib.

Reactions: Biggles2 and Prem51

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love it too.

Basically I simmer a lot of bones in water with a splash of cider vinegar, for as long as necessary.
In the slow cooker that could be 12-48 hours (depending on size of bones)
In the pressure cooker that could be 45-180 mins (also depending on size)
Then I fish out the bones, let it get cold, skim off all the fat, and store in the fridge.

It gets used as a drink (with seasonings), as a soup base, as a waterer down of other dishes, as a treat for the dogs (unseasoned) and sometimes gets frozen for later use.

Reactions: Roxanna5

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I like to use marrow bones. I bake the bones in the oven first until deep brown - it gives the broth a fuller, richer flavour than cooking them from raw. After baking them I put them in the slow cooker on high for about 8 hours then low for another 16 hours.

I just add herbs.

Yes, like @Brunneria - my dogs get a little of it as a treat and to make up for the luscious smell (to dogs) while its cooking. (I also use the empty marrow bones as puzzle toys for the dogs, smearing the insides with a bit of peanut butter or anything else they like.

Reactions: thepolly and ringi

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I put all bones left over from our meals in the freezer, then put them in the slow cooker for 24hrs, freeze the first batch of broth, and then an additional 24hr to get the 2nd batch from the same set of bones. I add lots of dried herbs and onion to the bone along with a splash of cider vinegar but no salt but add salt before use unless I am reducing the broth to make a thick source.

Reactions: fati2 and Prem51

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven’t tried baking the bones first, the taste must be phenomenal, I’m so doing that tomorrow!

I adore using lamb but I find the broth isn’t as good as beef bones. I add a bit of onion (I don’t eat onions but I think in this case it wont impact me), garlic, celery if I have it, celery salt if I don’t and I don’t skimp on the Himalayan salt.
I’m not too fussy on removing every bit of fat but I do drain and skim a bit and it all gets used, usually me glugging the stuff.

Reactions: Prem51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Are there benefits to using Himalayan salt?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
why do you take out the fat? I heard animal fat is good, is that wrong?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

I believe it's supposed to have trace minerals in it. I've found that the pink Himalayan salt tastes strangely saltier than normal salt.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I believe it's supposed to have trace minerals in it. I've found that the pink Himalayan salt tastes strangely saltier than normal salt.

Thank you, I will try to pick some up.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

I skim it off and use it in other cooking . It's a bit of a strange mouth feel /texture to drink so much fat as you get on the top of bone broth.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My favourite are pork bones, followed by beef, then lamb. Interestingly, my butcher seems to have lots and lots of lamb bones, and as he doesn't charge for bones, I never ask if he has anything else when offered them.

When I do my stock in the pressure cooker it's usually very gelatinous, but chicken broth is almost solid when cold.

Nom, nom, nom. :)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My local butcher technically gives the bones for free for people to give to their dogs. He got very confused when I said they were for me. He has a charity box on his counter for the Guide Dogs for the Blind which has a sign on it asking for donations in return for the bones - but its not compulsory.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For a fast I don’t eat the fat, the main reason for bone broth fasting is to keep electrolytes steady in order to stave off ‘orrible feelings associated with fasting on water or infusions.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Beef marrow bones, I pick up a big bundle of them from the butcher that only sells produce from their own local farm. Usually pay £1:00 for four or five big bones that the butcher cuts into manageable size for me. Rare breed, so we keep eating them. The beef is always superb too.

I give the bones a good wash, quick boil, to make sure nothing nasty is left on them. Then like Chook does, I bake them for an hour or so in a moderate oven. overnight leave them in stock pan to soak with water covering them and a generous slug of balsamic vinegar. Next morning, very very early, like 5am, chuck in some thyme, chopped onion, a carrot and some celery. Bring to boil, then simmer until very very late, like midnight. Leave to cool, then strain the veg and bones out. I do skim off most of the fat, which is used later in cooking veg. I freeze some broth in ice cube trays, to use in soups, sauces etc.
The bones are usually very brittle at the end and no use to the dog as I have all the yummy goodness out of them.

I sometimes allow the dog to have one of the raw bones. Reluctantly given, enthusiastically and gratefully received.

Edit, I forgot to mention I add black pepper and a pince of sea salt

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, I will try to pick some up.
It has loads of trace minerals and is all natural and unprocessed. It’s the on.y salt in my house. I never get salt water retention from it but I do with iodized salt. It does taste salty but iodized tasted so sharp to me now. Just experiment t with portion control. I like the brand Real Salt.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Not much, sea salt also has a mix of trace minerals. It would cost more to make salt without the trace minerals.....

Whatever salt you use, the trace minerals from the bones are much more inportanant that any trace minerals from the salt.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all.

Today is Tuesday and I last ate at around 17.00 on Sunday. I’ve had a busy and productive day today but I’ve managed to start my next batch of broth and currently, the hot, roasted marrowbones are cracking in the seasoned water in my slow cooker.
It’s on high until bed time then I’ll turn it to low.

I’m feeling fine, no real hunger but it could be that today wasn’t a hungry day anyway. I’ll see what tomorrow brings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Salvia

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
743D1135-C338-4234-A21A-1D01D2234EC9.jpeg
The broth is ready and I’m ready for it! No real hunger, just a nudge from my body asking if I should be eating.