Fiberflour

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Much that I like bread, this still looks like very processed food. However, it is clearly better than normal floor for BG.

But history tells us that process foods often turn out to be a bad idea......

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A very interesting product. Unfortunately in the list of ingredients it mentions 16g carbs but doesn't say if this is per 100g serving.
On the Home page of the site it gives the same figures as percentages so it is per 100g. Did you look at the recipe page, I am keen to try the chapattis for a start.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I came across the product when ordering my latest batch of erythritol off Amazon ~ not cheap at £7 a kilo but my desire to try and make a reasonably low carb crumble was high so Ive now got a bag sitting in front of me, theres raspberries, blackberries amd bluberries in the fridge so I guess its a case of “ nothing ventured, nothing gained”

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You may find that whole oats don't peak you, as they take a lot longer to digest then ground floor.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I came across the product when ordering my latest batch of erythritol off Amazon ~ not cheap at £7 a kilo but my desire to try and make a reasonably low carb crumble was high so Ive now got a bag sitting in front of me, theres raspberries, blackberries amd bluberries in the fridge so I guess its a case of “ nothing ventured, nothing gained”
It was £8.75 per kilo when I looked which put me off. I might weaken if you get good results but it is chapattis that tempt me.

Reactions: GerryDavies

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You may find that whole oats don't peak you, as they take a lot longer to digest then ground floor.
Ive tried making crumble topping with whole oats previously but spikes are too high. The crumble topping Ive made out of this product comes to 40g carbs for enough for 8-10 portions crumble. With the berries factored in the whole crumble comes to 8-10g carb per portion. The same crumble topping recipe using whole oats would be over 150g carbs before the berries are added. Time will tell how this tastes and what effect it has on my sugars
I do love a good experiment when bored!

Last edited:

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was £8.75 per kilo when I looked which put me off. I might weaken if you get good results but it is chapattis that tempt me.
Bread / chapatis, crumble and savoury biscuits are top of my list

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The very high fiber content may result in less of a BG increase, then the carb content would lead us to expect.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thats what Im hoping - the fibre flour is 42g fibre per 100g compared to 9g per 100g for oats - if nothing else itll be good for transit issues!

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Looking good - decided to test at 1.5 and again at 2.5 or 3 hours to capture any delayed spike - 11/2 hour rise is a modest 0.7mmol
A very acceptable crumble too

Last edited:
Reactions: Incyb

GerryDavies

Type of diabetes
HCP
I am the doctor who developed fiberflour. I did this after years of experimenting and blending loads of different ingredients at home. Nut flours are great but they are expensive and fail to hold together in your baked goods and are hopeless for bread ie no rise or texture. I know gluten has a bad reputation but it is what makes breads act and feel like bread. Much recent research points to lack of fibre as the likely cause of the recent rise in coeliac disease, even diabetes 1 & 2. This is because products of fibre fermentation (SCFA's) strengthen intestinal cells, the junctions between them, the depth of the mucus layer and decrease intestinal permeability (leaky gut) that leads to gluten and thousands of other much more hostile gut contents from entering the blood stream and sensitizing the immune system to allergies, inflammation and autoimmune conditions (eg asthma, arthritis, diabetes 1, coeliac, SLE.....).
To make dough for bread, pizza, chapatis, etc you just have to add water around 75% of the weight of fiberflour (eg for 500 g flour add 350 g water, 20 g yeast and 5g salt) mix, knead, form, let rise and bake. Guaranteed negligible glucose response, the cooked bread or flatbread has just 9 g carb (from oat bran) per 100 g and 27 g fibre from 9 different sources of soluble, insoluble and prebiotic fibres, so you can skip the prebiotic & probiotic supplements.

Reactions: Incyb

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@GerryDavies Have you tested fiberflour in bread makers? (Before I had type2 we used to buy floor in 18kg stacks, and eat a loaf of bread between us each day....)

GerryDavies

Type of diabetes
HCP
@GerryDavies Have you tested fiberflour in bread makers? (Before I had type2 we used to buy floor in 18kg stacks, and eat a loaf of bread between us each day....)
Some people have reported good results with bread makers. I have used the bread maker on the dough setting (ie as a mixer) then turned out and used for pizza, flatbreads and rolls. A few tips for baking with breadmakers, use a smaller amount than usual say 200 to 300 gms of flour with 75% water to flour. This ensures the middle of the loaf gets baked and not soggy. You can also dilute a little with regular flour eg 20% whole-wheat, still negligible glycemic responses.
Let us know how you get on, please post 1 and 2 hour glucose responses.