Newly diagnosed, scared and confused

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will do few odd pricking that's not too bad, but a few times a day?? Everyday?? I don't know. That's why I am delaying looking into meter issue :) , and find excuses not to have to buy one :) . I did have a quick look at the Freestyle Libre, seems the ongoing cost is sth like £50 for every 2 weeks? Ouch! Even I don't drink I still can't afford that. Probably at the end of the day, my fingers will have to suffer instead of my purse! Sad sad sad

But once you get to know what effects food has on your bgl's and you eat the same meals then you might not feel the need to test that meal.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Red_river_

You asked about eggs. They are perfectly safe to eat in whatever quantities you like. They are perfect for diabetics, and no .... they won't raise cholesterol. That is old science and has long since been debunked. I eat a minimum of 2 a day.

Have you seen this site? https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds well worth scrolling through and reading. You will find lists of foods that are good for us and foods that aren't as good. Basically any meat, any fish, eggs, cheese, all dairy, most vegetables (not spuds) and definitely you need to cut down on fruit - and avoid fruit juices.

I also urge you to get a meter as without one you are working blind. One will help you discover which are your personal danger foods (we all differ in this) and in what quantities it is safe to eat them, if at all.

Adding flaxseed (ground/milled) will help enormously with constipation, plus increasing fats and drinking tons of water.

Reactions: Prem51

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But once you get to know what effects food has on your bgl's and you eat the same meals then you might not feel the need to test that meal.
Yeah, that's true. Still lots of meals or food to test to begin with though.

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Red_river_

You asked about eggs. They are perfectly safe to eat in whatever quantities you like. They are perfect for diabetics, and no .... they won't raise cholesterol. That is old science and has long since been debunked. I eat a minimum of 2 a day.

Have you seen this site? https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds well worth scrolling through and reading. You will find lists of foods that are good for us and foods that aren't as good. Basically any meat, any fish, eggs, cheese, all dairy, most vegetables (not spuds) and definitely you need to cut down on fruit - and avoid fruit juices.

I also urge you to get a meter as without one you are working blind. One will help you discover which are your personal danger foods (we all differ in this) and in what quantities it is safe to eat them, if at all.

Adding flaxseed (ground/milled) will help enormously with constipation, plus increasing fats and drinking tons of water.
Thank you Bluetit ( my favourite bird together with robin :) ). No I have not got time to look at that website but I will. Will be a week tomorrow since I was diagnosed, and I have been reading lots of stuffs on this website to try to learn about diabetes. I will of course look at that soon. It's a very good idea to add seeds in anything to get more fibres thank you I will do that. Not sure about increasing fat normally I avoid it. Will drink more water too. Thank you. Oh, and now I can have eggs for breakfast as I've been having porridge that I am never keen on! Hurray!!

mike gibson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For what it’s worth I too was recently diagnosed, 4 weeks ago with a HbA1c of 95 and BG of 17.9 mmol/l and with no guidance or support from my local surgery I set about doing some research and stumbled upon this forum... the advice I’ve received regarding meters and diet has really helped these past few weeks to the point where my latest BG reading was 7.5 and I’m feeling better everyday with more energy...although as a skinny 9st 13 the low carb diet isn’t ideal as the last thing I need is too lose weight but I’m working hard to increase my fat intake, I do believe the reduction in carbs has been a massive factor in my numbers coming down...I’m also on Metformin, taking one a day which is to increase to 2 a day from next week...after a few days of stomach upsets it seems I’m getting used to the medication now....along with exercise and better diet I aim to keep things under control and hopefully see my HbA1c number come down when I next visit the diabetic nurse..I got the code free meter and thoroughly recommended getting a meter to help with your day to day management of diabetes...good luck and go and enjoy that holiday..

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
be careful your forcing your body to burn protean. if your carbs and fats are lower than your body needs. unless your eating extra protean is risky

I eat plenty of protein. Meat, fish, copious quantities of nuts ... lots of stuff. I've been on this low-carb lifestyle for nine months now and (apart from occasional constipation, which is a known side-effect of low-carb and can be dealt with by dietary adjustments) I feel great. I have been checked by my doctor at least every three months. The blood tests show my nutrient levels are good.

So I don't worry about it. It appears to be a sustainable lifestyle, for ever. Of course I won't know for sure until I've been doing this for several years.

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For what it’s worth I too was recently diagnosed, 4 weeks ago with a HbA1c of 95 and BG of 17.9 mmol/l and with no guidance or support from my local surgery I set about doing some research and stumbled upon this forum... the advice I’ve received regarding meters and diet has really helped these past few weeks to the point where my latest BG reading was 7.5 and I’m feeling better everyday with more energy...although as a skinny 9st 13 the low carb diet isn’t ideal as the last thing I need is too lose weight but I’m working hard to increase my fat intake, I do believe the reduction in carbs has been a massive factor in my numbers coming down...I’m also on Metformin, taking one a day which is to increase to 2 a day from next week...after a few days of stomach upsets it seems I’m getting used to the medication now....along with exercise and better diet I aim to keep things under control and hopefully see my HbA1c number come down when I next visit the diabetic nurse..I got the code free meter and thoroughly recommended getting a meter to help with your day to day management of diabetes...good luck and go and enjoy that holiday..
Thank you! You are amazing you brought BG down more than half in just 4 weeks! Keep on the good work! Like you I didn't get any information from the nurse, but people like you in this forum are ever so helpful. I now ( kind of) believe I can manage BG by dieting too. Although I know I will loose weight ( sth I don't wish) as I am not keen on anything fatty, because they are often processed and no good for high cholesterol that I have. Can you please tell me how you increase your fat intake if you don't mind? Thank you.

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some people on here drink coffee with double cream in it. I eat nut's as snacks. Macadamia and Pecans.

Reactions: Grateful

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
er here is "people with diabetes." Saying "diabetic" is sometimes thought of as a pejorative label, a bit like one might describe people as "epileptic" or an older term like "cripple." Very PC, I know, but I think it makes sense. Sometimes abbreviated on this forum as "PWD."

Diabetes is a chronic disease. Once you have been diagnosed with it, it cannot be "cured" except maybe with extreme treatments such as bariatric surgery for desperate cases.

That's the bad news. The good news is that if you can bring your blood glucose (BG) down to "non-diabetic" levels (in America where I live, that would be an HbA1c of below 5.7%, or 39 on the new scale) then your diabetes will be "reversed" or "in remission."

If you can achieve that, you are dramatically less likely to suffer from the (nasty) complications of diabetes. The "catch" is that you are now embarked on a lifetime quest to keep your BG under control. If you can achieve that, diabetes just becomes a (pesky and annoying, but not particularly health-threatening) part of your life.
The term 'we prefer'? No, some people prefer it and some couldnt
be careful your forcing your body to burn protean. if your carbs and fats are lower than your body needs. unless your eating extra protean is risky

I am afraid you are in error. The body utilises the different macros in different ways using different pathways. Only starvation would cause the human body to use protein as a fuel but when and only when fats and carbs are restricted not to mention that ketones are also used as a fuel source.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The term 'we prefer'? No, some people prefer it and some couldnt.

@Guzzler: I apologize unreservedly for presuming to speak for anyone else, let alone the entire forum.

(Personally, I don't mind the term "diabetic" but some time back I saw someone here being mildly told off for using it, so I jumped to the wrong conclusion.)

Reactions: Guzzler

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Although I know I will loose weight ( sth I don't wish) as I am not keen on anything fatty, because they are often processed and no good for high cholesterol that I have. Can you please tell me how you increase your fat intake if you don't mind? Thank you.

There are so many good fats it is impossible to list them all. Here are some for a starter
avocado
nuts
salmon/tuna/sardines/mackerel
real mayonnaise
Other fish
lamb/pork/bacon
olive oil
eggs
cheese
all dairy foods

Which bits of your cholesterol are high, and what are your levels? (HDL/LDL/Triglycerides)

Our livers manufacture most of our cholesterol, simply because we need it to survive. Less than 15% comes from food. There are many hundreds of threads on the forum about this, with good scientific links and videos. You will find them from the search box.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
@Guzzler: I apologize unreservedly for presuming to speak for anyonshan't e, let alone the entire forum.

(Personally, I don't mind the term "diabetic" but some time back I saw someone here being mildly told off for using it, so I jumped to the wrong conclusion.)
Personally, as long as members engage in polite respectful conversation then I do not see why anyone should be offended by the term. I shan't be changing the terminology I use because one or two people find it irritating. Just my opinion. And we are all individual and there should be a measure of tolerance for others' choices.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Resurgam you helps lift up my spirit! It really helps me to see how so many people having such a positive look at diabetes. I will definitely have a look at Dr Atkins diet. My diet so far was very heavy on carbs. Since I was diagnosed, I almost stopped eating , or ate very little and experienced light headed and a bit dizziness. I am still trying to find what to eat. Do you know how many eggs one can have a day? It is said eggs are not so good if you have high cholesterol is that right? I will need to toughen myself before buying a meter. I am not at all brave. I guess the first time is always more difficult, once I've done it probably it won't be too scare anymore. Thanks for your help.
You can eat as many eggs as you fancy - the idea that your cholesterol comes from what you eat was checked and the cholesterol found in - for instance, eggs, is not exactly the same as that found in humans - so the suspicion was that it was not a simple absorption route - then they got someone to eat lots of high cholesterol foods with something added that could be detected - and found that most of it just went straight through

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ah, thank you thank you you make me feel a whole lot better Prem51. Mind you the figure I gave above is result of fasting test. My normal cholesterol is 5.7 otherwise. I am not keen on any medication especially taking it for life, so I said to the nurse I would think about Statin, but Thought I would take it as she said high cholesterol + blood sugar means higher chance of complications, so Statin is advisable. Now you are saying Statin can raise blood sugar I will have to think again. Gosh this is so complicated how do I know how to get things right? Also I would have thought people with diabetic should avoid all things sweet, salty, and fat. Cheese and chorizo are quite fatty aren't they? That's why I struggle with what to eat... I was told some exercise when blood sugar is high helps so I find myself matching up and down flight of stairs for 15 minutes after a meal. Is it a right thing to do? Why do I have to feel guilty every time I eat now? Even though only a slice of apple??
NHS gps often will go by the total cholesterol figure, the NHS guidelines say a figure of 5 or less is advisable for non-diabetics, and 4 or less for T2 diabetics. But there is disagreement over this. Some doctors say that the total cholesterol figures are irrelevant. It is the figures for HDL (good cholesterol), LDL (bad cholesterol) and triglycerides and their ratios to each other which are more important.
Do you know your HDL, LDL and triglycerides figures? If not you should get them from your GP surgery. Your test results should be accessible online, you have to ask the surgery for access, or you can ask for a printout of your test results.
If you have the figures you can enter them into the online Cholesterol Ratio Calculator to get the ratios: http:www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php

Also from what I understand women and older men benefit from higher cholesterol.
NHS advice is that statins can raise bs levels, not for everyone, but if I remember correctly for about 10% of users.
They can also have side effects like muscle pain.

T2s should avoid sweet stuff. but you can replace sugar with sweeteners. Salt shouldn't be a problem in moderation, our body needs some salt, it is necessary to replace salt lost through sweating in hot weather or through exercise. But if you have high blood pressure salt should be restricted. Natural fats are good, I eat a lot of cheese, and avocados are great.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yeah, that's true. Still lots of meals or food to test to begin with though.
@Red_river_ I have a severe needle phobia. I have had only one injection since the childhood immunisations which I believe gave me the phobia. I didn't want to test at first, but after my three month HbA1c retest I realised I wouldn't know how I was doing until my next annual HbA1c test so I got a meter.
I don't actually test before and after meals as many on here do. I usually only test first thing in the morning (fbg - fasting blood glucose) which gives me a general picture of how I'm doing. I sometimes test before and after certain foods which I'm not sure about. I found porridge spiked me to over 10 and gave it up. But I think I have a good idea about what is likely to raise my bs and avoid it, or eat it in small quantities, which seems to have worked for me so far anyway.

I use the Accu Chek Mobile with the Accu Chek Fastclix finger lancet. The needles are in a cartridge inside a pen like case so you don't see them. Just hold against finger and press top. You hardly feel it. It did take me a few days to work up the courage to use it the first time, but now it's just routine.

mike gibson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you! You are amazing you brought BG down more than half in just 4 weeks! Keep on the good work! Like you I didn't get any information from the nurse, but people like you in this forum are ever so helpful. I now ( kind of) believe I can manage BG by dieting too. Although I know I will loose weight ( sth I don't wish) as I am not keen on anything fatty, because they are often processed and no good for high cholesterol that I have. Can you please tell me how you increase your fat intake if you don't mind? Thank you.

At the moment I’m having a lot of full fat Greek yoghurt, nuts to snack on and the odd protein shake.. also considering doing some kind of resistance weight training to help build muscle... prior to diagnosis I lost around 10 pounds... I’ve noticed since the diet change and start of medication that the weight loss has stopped and I’m hovering around the 9st 13 mark... my aim, once I get the diabetes under control, is to try and put back on what I’ve lost...

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Wow! I mean Wow but then I clicked on Agree ! ( I still don't know the meaning of icons). You have been doing so well! Since I see quite a few members of this forum manage their blood sugar so well I feel much more positive that I too can overcome this and cope with this the way you do. I have already started on a low carbs diet and now I will aim to bring my level down in 6 month time.
Thank you for recommending the food. I am a creature of habit I always buy Napolitan spaghetti or pasta, I don't even look at any other brands. Next time shoppingI will look for those you recommended. I eat everything and I always think I eat healthily enough. Apart from heavy on carbs, I eat lots of all kind of fruit and vegetables, not a lot of meat, no animal fat at all, and not a lots of cheese, I try to eat fish one a week. I haven't got a sweet tooth but have a sweet treat occasionaly. I hardly do take away, always cook from scratch. I don't buy anything pre- packed or precessed either ( sometimes sausages or ham that is).
Now I am not sure what fruit or vegs are better for PWD. I had vegs soup with beetroot, carrots, beans for dinner tonight and wonder if that was good enough as carrots and beetroots contain lots of sugar? I bough a papaya but haven't cut it yet as it may be too sweet or contain lots of carbs? I don't dare eating a whole apple in one go like before because apple has lots of carbs, too. I will need to learn to count carbs I suppose. I know any berries are good but they are dearer than other fruit... If you don't mind me asking, will you let me know what you had for food today, so I can have the same for tomorrow :) . Ah, by the way, I thought Anything low fat is better for cholesterol? I've been on skimmed milk forever.

This is a sample of the food my wonderful wife and daughters deliver (I do the washing up and endless drinks). I can cope with parsnips and carrots. The pictures do not convey the flavours in the food with the spicing. The apple and cinnamon pie has an almond meal crust.

1.JPG

2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
2.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG

mike gibson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The best tip I could give is stop the white bread, rice and pasta right away and maybe swap potatoes for the sweet ones...cauliflower rice is a good alternative and my favourite discovery is a spiraliza in which I use to turn courgettes into courgetti and thus no more need for normal spaghetti pasta