Hot, salty bone broth. Fasting again.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I blo*dy love the stuff.

I did a six day fast earlier this year (easy peasy) and I’m currently cuddling a hot mug on day one of this fast.
I’m bone shopping later to make another big pot and I have my own favourite recipe but I’d love to hear yours.

Lib.
Where do you buy bones these days. I know most butchers used to sell them but where I live all the local butcher shops have long gone

Last edited:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I skim it off and use it in other cooking . It's a bit of a strange mouth feel /texture to drink so much fat as you get on the top of bone broth.
There is no way I could drink that if it had fat on the top

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Where do you buy bones these days. I know most butchers used to sell them but where I live all the local butcher shops have long gone

Morrison's sell them but they are (IMHO) a bit in the pricey side.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I got mine from Morrison’s, they are really good at providing all the nose to tail.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morrison's sell them but they are (IMHO) a bit in the pricey side.

I got two big marrowbones for two quid. Butchers are the best source though and far cheaper.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I recently for a carrier bag full from my local butcher (sadly I had to share the marrowbone with my dogs). :( The butcher doesn't want payment precisely... he just indicates to his Guide Dogs for the Blind box.

Reactions: Brunneria

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
we pay £1 a carrier bag from the butcher on the high street.

Sometimes it is 6-9 chicken carcasses in a bag. Sometimes it is an entire cow leg bone or two chopped into 4 or 5 pieces. Sometimes it is half a lamb spine and ribs. Sometimes pork.

Superb value for money when I get enough meat off those chicken barcasses to feed ourselves and the dogs for a day or two, as well as making the bone broth.

Edited to add: Then, whenever I cook I save the bones, throwing them into a bag in the freezer and bringing them out when the bag is full enough to justify a simmer. I have a full bag now, and the next bone broth will be chicken, pork and lamb, all together. Makes a fab base for a soup - in this case broccoli and stilton.

Last edited:
Reactions: thepolly and ringi

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Day 7. I’ve just woken up and my BS is 4.7
I’ve no intention of eating today, I don’t feel hungry but most importantly, I haven’t decided what to break my fast with yet! At the moment it’s a toss up between lamb ribs and a hot, prefecty boiled egg with best butter and salt.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Random thought (and slight derailment, for which I apologise).

When you look at a bone after bone brothing, can you tell it has been brothed?

If I use vinegar in the water, the bones go a bit crumbly. Which is a sign the nutrients have been removed into the liquid. But did early man use a vinegar-like equivalent?

I am just wondering if there is any sign of Brothing to be found in the bones from rubbish tips on archaeological digs?

Reactions: Chook

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Random thought (and slight derailment, for which I apologise).

When you look at a bone after bone brothing, can you tell it has been brothed?

If I use vinegar in the water, the bones go a bit crumbly. Which is a sign the nutrients have been removed into the liquid. But did early man use a vinegar-like equivalent?

I am just wondering if there is any sign of Brothing to be found in the bones from rubbish tips on archaeological digs?

Interesting thought. Maybe some very tart berries such as rose hips or sloes would do the same?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As an ex-archaeologist I can safely say I have absolutely no idea but I'll have a dig around if you like.

Edit to add that wasn't in fact deliberate.. but I quite like it anyway...

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
sorry but eww. i saw the programme on diets. im sure its healthy. but no ta.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It’s cold out there so I’m tucked up in bed with the electric blanket on, pondering my week and watching Blue Planet.

I haven’t eaten today and I couldn’t even manage half a mug of bone broth earlier. I’ve had a couple of coffees with a bit of cream in which I wasn’t fussed about either. I’m simply not hungry as such. I could eat something but that hunger that tells you to eat is simply not there, so I’ve decided to carry on until eating is an absolute necessity.

The only thing my body is telling me to have is salt and iced water so that’s what I’m having and it’s nice having something to crunch on.

I was watching Jason Fung earlier too, he makes such sense.

Reactions: Speedbird

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Day 8.
Feeling a little tired but not properly hungry. I must be deep in ketosis as people are recoiling at my breath!

My day isn’t over yet either and I’m looking forward to broth and coffee when I get home.

Last edited:

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Day 10.
I had a day of heavy physical activity yesterday and carried on for six hours, only needing fluid. I'm still not hungry and I had another batch of hot broth when I got in so in total, I had two coffees with a splash of cream in, a mug of broth with the fat skimmed off and a tiny bit of beef picked off a bone.
I'm not hungry at the moment either but I've noticed I have feelings I could eat at the same time every day, around 18.00
My bloods are a very stable 4's and I'm losing weight.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I rescued some bread today (I work for The Real Junk Food Project) and it dawned on me that I could easily eat a vast quantity of **** right now. A white bread cheese sandwich with lots of butter and pickle, crisps, toast, chocolate, biscuits...
Whereas if I were to break my fast, all I could manage would be a small steak or a couple of eggs.

Reactions: Kristin251