NHS Heart Age Calculator

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Thoughly endorse that comment Derry60. I just try to on the side of caution - eat sensibly, exercise mainly walking or keeping active with 2 small grandchildren.
I think sometimes too much information can cause stress. I am not keen on these hearts fitness things as I would much rather try and live my life as healthy as possible and be satisfied that my doctor is happy with my health and that everything is ok.We can only do our best and life is for living

Reactions: ExChocoholic

Carb_Junky

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My doctor told me not to frighten myself by doing the heart age calculation. But of course I did and my heart is apparently more than 20 years older than me!
Like others on here, I decided there was little credibility in a test by an organisation which encourages diabetics to eat high carb.
And on that note, I was in hospital for 18 hours and put on 4.5 pounds due to the high carb meals on offer. And I was constantly hungry! But returning to low carb high fat saw me lose that in five days. I find it's the only eating plan which switches off my hunger between meals.

D

Diabeticliberty

Apparently I have a heart age older than my great granny and a mental age younger than my 6 month old labrador puppy. If only things were the other way round SIGH!!!!!!!!

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
My heart age according to the test is 20 years above my actual age - my doctor says I have a very high risk of a heart attack - I just continue to do the best I can - if my doctor could just be a little bit more positive in recognizing the improvements to my health that I have made and believe me when I tell him that as a non driver I walk to work and home again - I use the stairs and not the lift at work and I attend two dance classes a week - but all I get is you need to do more, lose more weight and as quickly as possible - 3.5 stone lost - it was 4 but I have gained a little back.
Like other's have said you can only do what you can.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think its worth point out that the idea that diabetics could die 10 years earlier than the rest of the population only refers to uncontrolled diabetics. Of course, there is no mechanism for adjusting this stupid test for those having good control.

Typical one size fits all bunkum.

pete254

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's not even consistent! I entered all my correct details and it came out as 68 (I'm 67).
With the same details but not diabetic I got 62 so a loss of 6 years due to D.

Reactions: Grateful

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am 60 and it told me my heart age was 69. When I re-ran the calculator and lied, saying I did not have diabetes but leaving everything else the same, it said my heart age is 61.

Given that my diabetes is fully controlled, with BG at non-diabetic levels, the calculation is probably misleading at best.

Reactions: shoesy24

Billy7764

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm 53, heart age is 68. And I will be dead by 72.
That's 19 more year's of debauchery left. Not to bad.
Anyone know what I did with that bottle of rum?

Bill_Tanner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear Lord, I would rather not know. I go onto Facebook and do heart quizzes where I know that they will tell me what I want to hear LOL
I think it's time for a new app... Enter your current age, the age you want to live to, and it will calculate how many years you have left....

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm 53, heart age is 68. And I will be dead by 72.
That's 19 more year's of debauchery left. Not to bad.
Anyone know what I did with that bottle of rum?
are you sure that doesn't mean you only have 4 to go? better make it very pleasurable debauchery !

Reactions: Billy7764

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My heart age is 5 years older than I am, so not bad. I did get a link to the 'good fats' as i am over weight. Guess what? sat fats are evil and must be avoided. The link went to the British Heart Foundation website page, so no updated info then in the light of new research and revisiting old research.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My heart age is 5 years older than I am, so not bad. I did get a link to the 'good fats' as i am over weight. Guess what? sat fats are evil and must be avoided. The link went to the British Heart Foundation website page, so no updated info then in the light of new research and revisiting old research.

Well the American Heart Association president just had a heart attack himself - I wonder if that might draw some attention to the possibility they might not be as clued up as they think ?

http://nationalpost.com/news/heart-...s-heart-attack-during-heart-health-conference

Having seen how my own heart attack risk numbers have changed in terms of real data from blood works profiles and read about how many cases there are of clogged arteries unclogging through the dietary switch, it is so sad that so many people are still be led along this old path, including the people running the AHA.

Also if you look at the photo of the two people on stage, both of them have the slightly chubby rounded faces that I now recognise as typifies what happened to my own face when running with very high insulin. It would be fascinating to know what their fasting insulin happens to be. These kind of "healthy" middle aged men who are overweight but not enormously so appear to be prime targets for heart attacks.

http://www.diabeticconnect.com/diab...d-and-at-times-you-feel-like-you-are-floating

and more scientifically
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199812243392619#t=article

Last edited:

Robbieswan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tried the calculator. According to this, I should have been dead last week !

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I kind of liked being told I could expect to live to about 83! But yeah, my heart age was calculated to being six years older than I actually am.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The qrisk3 calculator seems to add 7 years to heart age for type 2 and 13 years to type 1. My heart age is actually lower than my actual age if I say I don't have diabetes. Personally, I think the real problem with heart disease is glucose spikes and high insulin levels. See ...

Last edited:

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Oh dear, she says, whilst watching that news item/doco....

I'm done for then!