Hot Soup weather?

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
There's a definite nip in the air nowadays. Even down here on the south coast where Christmas comes with the first daffodils...
We made a batch of vegetable soup with whatever was to hand: two carrots, onion, celery, rasher of bacon and flageolet beans for extra flavour. Threw in a solitary spud for bulk. A quick whizz with the stick blender and we had a satisfying bowl of goodness to keep out the cold.
But, on testing after two hours, I was 7.1. (This wasn't actually the first time this has happened, and I usually have to go for a good walk -in the cold- to bring down my sugar).
Is it the quarter potato? The half carrot? Is it the process of breaking down the veg? Adding lentils instead of beans has the same effect. Surely this can't be another thing I can't eat!! Does anyone else suffer with soup? :arghh:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Probably the whizzing.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve been experimenting with soups, though I haven’t used potato or beans. I’ve used cream and/or Flaxseed to thicken them and haven’t noticed any spikes.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Courgette and caulli thicken soup without the spike for me
CAROL

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
7.1 sounds within a good range at 2 hours to me. I would try again without the spud

Food science shows blended soups release calories slower and keep you feeling fuller for longer than chunky soups as it retains the liquid in the mushy goo. This can be good to stop snacking, It does destroy a lot of the fibre which is not desirable.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
7.1 sounds within a good range at 2 hours to me. I would try again without the spud

Food science shows blended soups release calories slower and keep you feeling fuller for longer than chunky soups as it retains the liquid in the mushy goo. This can be good to stop snacking, It does destroy a lot of the fibre which is not desirable.

When looking up this shortly after dx I read somewhere that liquidised carbs are taken up a lot faster and in the upper part of the small intestine. The fiber slows down the absorption of the carbs and as whizzing destroys fiber...
It matters little about the amount of calories, it is the source of the calories that counts.

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When looking up this shortly after dx I read somewhere that liquidised carbs are taken up a lot faster and in the upper part of the small intestine. The fiber slows down the absorption of the carbs and as whizzing destroys fiber...
It matters little about the amount of calories, it is the source of the calories that counts.

I've just been reading about this in Diabetes Unpacked. The author was talking about green smoothies but soup would be the same.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I feel an experiment coming on!
I made what turned out to be a much larger than anticipated batch of curry yesteday using up the veg in my fridge ( courgettes, aubergines, cauliflower, spinach, baby plum tomatoes, baby peppers, broccoli) - enough for 8 servings as it turned out
As I didnt fancy so many “ samey” meals, I turned half of it into a curried veg soup which only needed a slight tweak on ingredients and both versions ome out at aroun 8g carbs.
One day I might test both at different meals without the usual accompanients to see if theres any sig difference in how much they effect BS

Hotpepper20000

I make what I call clean out the fridge soup. When I have vegtables that need using up.
I use any combinations of leeks, zucchini, Cauliflower, onions broccoli or kale.
I simmer in vegtable broth and any spices im in the mood for, till soft and blend it with a bit of cream.
When I serveit, I cube up old cheddar, put a handful on the bottom of the bowl and put the hot soup over top. Maybe add some sunflower or pumpkin seeds.
Over never noticed a spike in BG with this. Maybe it's the cream and cheese?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Could be all of it AND the absence of protein and fat.

Veggies on their own will spike me. I don’t blend it and I have to have protein in it and chunk avo on top after cooking. I still get a rise a tad higher than if I ate the food on its own. Doesn’t make sense

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I've just been reading about this in Diabetes Unpacked. The author was talking about green smoothies but soup would be the same.
That is most probably where I read it. It's a grand book, I just wish I had a grand memory!

Reactions: woodywhippet61

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's a definite nip in the air nowadays. Even down here on the south coast where Christmas comes with the first daffodils...
We made a batch of vegetable soup with whatever was to hand: two carrots, onion, celery, rasher of bacon and flageolet beans for extra flavour. Threw in a solitary spud for bulk. A quick whizz with the stick blender and we had a satisfying bowl of goodness to keep out the cold.
But, on testing after two hours, I was 7.1. (This wasn't actually the first time this has happened, and I usually have to go for a good walk -in the cold- to bring down my sugar).
Is it the quarter potato? The half carrot? Is it the process of breaking down the veg? Adding lentils instead of beans has the same effect. Surely this can't be another thing I can't eat!! Does anyone else suffer with soup? :arghh:
7.1 is still well within the recommended range after two hours

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
I just repeated the experiment. 5.6 before lunch, then 2 miles up muddy lanes and over the hill (!) and back. Bloody 6.9 after 2 hours...:arghh:

Last edited: