Poll: Which diabetes course(s) have you attended?

Which of the following structured diabetes education courses have you attended?

• DAFNE

Votes: 122 18.8%
  • DESMOND

Votes: 122 18.8%
  • X-PERT

Votes: 70 10.8%
  • ASPIRE

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Freedom4Life

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Other (Please state in a post)

Votes: 67 10.3%
  • Never attended one

Votes: 291 44.8%

• Total voters

ilan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I went on a Desmond course within 3 months of diagnosis I found it very confusing some parts were good motivation ete and the best bit was to recomend this web site But I think the course has to cater for so many different people that its basic eat well and exercise

**shell**

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insects, ignorance, horror films.
DAISY Course (I believe it is similar to the DAFNE). Held by South Tyneside.
It was really quite interesting but I feel refreshers are much needed throughout life but the demand on the course is quite high due to the multidisciplinary aspect.

Fearless36

I've been a diabetic in London for over 32 years now, and never been offered any courses by my GP or diabetic clinic. Wasn't even aware there were any - and so it is a surprise to read that there are.

LesH

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was diagnosed with Type 2, a few years ago the nurse told me she would put me down for a course
That was the last I heard of it
She gave me the standard "healthy eating advice", lots of carbohydrates etc
I asked about if there was a diet for diabetics and was told there was not one

Books1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
SWIFT course in Swindon useful and nurses were more interested in us all sharing rather than laying down the law about carbs.

Fearless36

My last hospital didn't offer any courses, nor did I know about them till I got here. I am due to go to a new hospital which is a centre which offers these courses so will definitely be trying them out.

Harebrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not been offered any courses but from the messages on here I'm not sure I would want to go. However I have a very supportive GP and DN who are happy with for me to be low carb. I also get plenty of test strips on prescription so can test frequently.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: Prem51

mibby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 1. Never offered a course. Asked about DAFNE, but it is not offered by my health authority.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Disloyalty, Bad Food
i did a 5 day SADIE course in eastbourne when i was 12 (10 years ago) which was more of meeting other youths with type1 diabeties and did some quick leasons for carb counting. I look back and didnt find it that useful other then the carb counting which i use on a daily basis without relising (sorry for any spelling errors)

Ajax

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The DESMOND course.

It was interesting being in a room populated with other folk living with diabetes ..or being affected by it.

There were some poignant moments too:

1) An elderly lady appeared to be ✻in denial✻ about having DMT2 and started weeping when one of the facilitators gently asked her if she knew she had diabetes.

2) During a discussion about alcohol, a young woman got upset and said she wouldn't stop drinking her red wine ..and subsequently didn't attend the next session.

By economic necessity, it was a one-size-fits-all course ..so didn't teach me anything I hadn't already learnt prior to attending.

When I've spoken to the ✻newly-diagnosed✻ ..I've never discouraged them from attending a health education event ..as I think this would be irresponsible of me to do ..✻no knowledge✻ about diabetes an even more dangerous thing than ✻a little knowledge✻

Nevertheless, I accept a lot of the ✻course content✻ may be quite contentious to some.

Fearless36

In Westminster, they don't offer any courses whatsoever, which is a real shame and something that hopefully in the future they will correct. However I now go to a diabetic centre in a different borough and they have given me a list of their DAFNE courses for next year and want me to go on one. It will be hard as I will have to take holiday but nonetheless it seems worth it based on the views here. I've met with the dietician in the clinic and she's started me on this carb counting lark.

LesH

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No courses
When I was diagnosed Type 2 I was given some literature telling me all about the then fashionable "healthy" high carbohydrate diet

Addy41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just been on a CHOICE course. I would recommend it, has really helped me. I am type 1 in berkshire.

Jkoko56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a long term diabetic T1. Did a DAFNE course about 15 years ago and a follow-up 1 day course about a year ago. I found both useful, particularly meeting other diabetics and sharing coping strategies.

ketondaddy

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there

I am Type 1.

I just finished a 4 day WINDFAL course at Whittington Hospital, Archway.

It was very knowledgeable and useful with nice people. I am very greatful.

:)

Reactions: Prem51 and therower