1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Poll: Which diabetes course(s) have you attended?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Administrator, Jan 19, 2015.

?

Which of the following structured diabetes education courses have you attended?

1. DAFNE

120 vote(s)
    18.6%
  2. DESMOND

121 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. X-PERT

69 vote(s)
    10.7%
  4. ASPIRE

3 vote(s)
    0.5%
  5. Freedom4Life

2 vote(s)
    0.3%
  6. Other (Please state in a post)

67 vote(s)
    10.4%
  7. Never attended one

289 vote(s)
    44.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dicko

Dicko Type 1 · Member

Hi Kenny,

I did DICE at Pinderfields in Wakefield, DICE is their version of DAFNE, DICE stands for Diabetes Insulin Carbohydrate Education. Very informative course, 3 days in total and half a day follow up after three months. Highly recommended.

2. KennyA

KennyA Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

In Shipley it stands for (they say) Diabetes In Control Everyday. And it lasted six days across six weeks. The most notable things were a) the tension between the pro-low-carb dietitian and the pro-Eatwell plate diabetic nurse, and b)nthe inability to get 75% of the course members to realise that fruit and starch wasn't healthy. I wonder if it's even the same course?

• Like Like x 1
  3. kazam401

kazam401 · Member

It took my local health service over 30 years to offer me any kind of diabetic learning course, I went on the DAFNE course which after all that time I found interesting.
    Pity my health service waited that long to try and teach me how to suck eggs.

4. landylara

landylara Type 1 · Member

I have done the dafne course (dose adjustment for normal eating). I did this years ago and have done a refresher course last year. It was well worth the update.

• Like Like x 1
  5. EggsEggsEggs

EggsEggsEggs Type 2 · Active Member

Haven't attended any of the courses because they were based on the Eatwell /Guide, which makes people sicker. There isn't a single low carb GP in my county.

6. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The courses are not just about diet.

7. aard

aard · Well-Known Member

None , because who has the time to attrnd a six day course?

Also most of the information is available on the internet. In fact Ive had nurses and GPs giving me orintouts from the internet for othef things.

Of course it does get written down on my medical record lije I'm some troublemaker!

8. Crosswordpuzzler

Crosswordpuzzler · Member

I haven't been offered any course. However a friend was diagnosed as pre diabetic. He was offered a place on an expert course. His wife didn't want to accompany him,so he took me.
    We had fun winding up the presenters , we didn't learn much, but were both impressed by the high drop out rate, over the course. Thirty odd down to eight.! One thing we both noted was that there were a more than a few who had a negative attitude. They "couldn't do this or that," diet ,exercise ,lifestyle change ,etc, because," they were diabetic."
    Dont let it spoil living.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook