Help please .. Advice re Gliclazide

Dalaney64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Lol love that . Weight loss would be a real bonus. I am tryi g to be positive . My daughter is 4 days overdue with her first baby my only grand child and I want to be fit and healthy. It's a huge change for me and I guess baby steps. I'm waiting to hear back 're my blood tests I had last week and then we are talking new medication. I have a lways been anti them but it seems I have no choice at the moment. Been low carving for week now and still can't get into single numbers I'm really hug in morning Nything from 13 to 17 and throughout day I'm around 11 to 14 . Can't see why they are so high if I'm not eating much carbs but I guess it takes time .

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You have done really well ! Thank you for advice. Can I ask do upbeat any potatoes rice and pasta at all ? Nhs guidelines talks about how important it is to incorporate them in your diet but logically it doesn't make sense if they raise you sugar levels. If I'm honest I'm a massive foody and these restrictions are he'll for me but I am determined to battle this and get it under control. What do you eat for snacks or lunches ?
There are many T2D here who follow an LC diet, but who find they are able to eat these starchy foods on occasions. I am one, but certainly 2 years or so ago these foods would send my bgl rocketing.
But for a year I followed a strict (for me that is) LCHF diet and reduced my meds, This and intermittent fsting seems to have repaired my glucose response somewhat, and I find I can get away with the occasional cheat such as white rice or even a chinese takeaway or battered fish. I even had some normal tatties the other day, I generally experiment, and allow myself a 1,0 mmol.l rise at 2 hours PP, and if it drops back to the pre meal or below then it can be repeated on another occasion, I avoid pasta, and I also find white bread to still spike me badly, but I have alternatives for those.

As I say, my experience is unique to me, but I would advise that you persevere with the stricter LC diet for a while before trying to re-introduce those types of food again. You may be lucky, but you will have to earn it first.

PS: bread and cereals are fortifiied by law to add B12. B6 and calcium to boost those nutrients but this is required since the modern processing of flours removes them in the first place. An off the shelf supplement could do this same job instead, I personally use a 5 seeded wholegrain loaf in my diet since it also provides fibre, and it seems to work with me,

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lol love that . Weight loss would be a real bonus. I am tryi g to be positive . My daughter is 4 days overdue with her first baby my only grand child and I want to be fit and healthy. It's a huge change for me and I guess baby steps. I'm waiting to hear back 're my blood tests I had last week and then we are talking new medication. I have a lways been anti them but it seems I have no choice at the moment. Been low carving for week now and still can't get into single numbers I'm really hug in morning Nything from 13 to 17 and throughout day I'm around 11 to 14 . Can't see why they are so high if I'm not eating much carbs but I guess it takes time .
Yes it takes time to get the fasting bgl levels low in the morning. LCHF takes a month or two, meanwhile the liver pumps out its store of glycogen and has to become depleted before they drop (see Dawn Phenomenon) and any carbs you eat will charge up these stores again quickly. High levels of protein will also have the same effect.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh i didn't know that I thought I should be eating lots of protein I'm so confused
Looking at your midday readings, I thought that proteins could be playing a part, hence my advice above.

The Low Carb section of the forum has lots of good advice for anyone doing an LC diet, and especially good for LCHF followers. There is a basic guide that daily intake should be around 1 g protein for each kg of body weight (lean weight), but check with what others have posted in that thread.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh i didn't know that I thought I should be eating lots of protein I'm so confused

I have never restricted my protein to the recommended levels, which are minimum levels. Since diagnosis I have continued eating the same amounts I ate before. However, it is necessary to restrict protein if you have any kidney malfunctions, but as far as general health is concerned we need protein to build and repair every cell, and keep us fit and active. It is usually only in the absence of carbs that protein has a noticeable role in blood sugar levels. Other than that, in T2 diabetes, its role isn't normally very significant, so restricting protein will only be important to you if you are very low carb or if you have kidney problems.

As for the Lidl High Protein rolls, they are approximately 9g of carbs per roll - and I find them 100% delicious sliced in half and toasted with a generous spread of butter added. They are dense and so filling I can only manage a half roll at a sitting. They are also high in fibre and full of healthy seeds. Also, they freeze well. I am addicted to them.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for info. Do all lidl stores stock them

All those that have bakery sections. My Lidl is fairly small but does have a section where they sell freshly cooked bread. You will find them in a basket in this section. They are dark brown, triangular in shape, and currently cost 29p per roll. You can always give them a try - but they are better either toasted or zapped for a minute or so in the microwave otherwise they don't taste as good.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sensible levels of protein are OK. Both fats and protein add slightly to blood glucose but not enough to worry about.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep. Agree completely. They were £1 for a while, but back to 29p each now.

A pound????? They have never been that in my Lidl. They did drop to 25p for a short while. I must have missed that increase!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Brilliant I will try them do they freeze well as I need to travel a way to lidl

Another vote for the Lidl rolls.
I buy 8 at a time, then freeze them (unless I've used all the previous batch).
I used to run them under the tap and then put them in the oven at 130C for 10 minutes for that lovely "fresh baked" taste.
I now have a panini press so I just slice them in half then warm them in the press for a minute or so, then butter while they are still toasty warm.

I prefer them warm, but they do also make very good sandwiches. I usually fill them with cheese (sometimes with salami as well). Very filling and good for you as well.

Too much protein can give you an unexpected BG rise. It is worth having a look around the T1 forums because they have to be very aware of how much glucose any given food will produce. As far as I know they have to allow some insulin for protein eaten.

The "golden" ration for LCHF is 80% fat, 15% protein and 5% carbohydrates. I find this hard to visualise, but a lot of "protein" food also have a good deal of fat. So bacon, double cream, full fat cheese, eggs all have good stuff in.

Eggs (just looked them up) have 9g fat and 12g protein per 100g and NO CARBS!!!

Carbohydrates are addictive and it took a long time - years - to break the addiction but I am (usually) fine now.

Carbohydrate addiction is one of the few addictions where you can go cold turkey with cold turkey.:p

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another vote for the Lidl rolls.
I buy 8 at a time, then freeze them (unless I've used all the previous batch).
I used to run them under the tap and then put them in the oven at 130C for 10 minutes for that lovely "fresh baked" taste.
I now have a panini press so I just slice them in half then warm them in the press for a minute or so, then butter while they are still toasty warm.

I prefer them warm, but they do also make very good sandwiches. I usually fill them with cheese (sometimes with salami as well). Very filling and good for you as well.

Too much protein can give you an unexpected BG rise. It is worth having a look around the T1 forums because they have to be very aware of how much glucose any given food will produce. As far as I know they have to allow some insulin for protein eaten.

The "golden" ration for LCHF is 80% fat, 15% protein and 5% carbohydrates. I find this hard to visualise, but a lot of "protein" food also have a good deal of fat. So bacon, double cream, full fat cheese, eggs all have good stuff in.

Eggs (just looked them up) have 9g fat and 12g protein per 100g and NO CARBS!!!

Carbohydrates are addictive and it took a long time - years - to break the addiction but I am (usually) fine now.

Carbohydrate addiction is one of the few addictions where you can go cold turkey with cold turkey.:p
I fear eggs do contain some carbs - 0.38g per large egg. When I mentioned this to a non-diabetic friend he said that of course eggs would contain some carbs because they have to provide total nourishment to the growing chick. https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/food/eggs/carbohydrate

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only