Feeling annoyed!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As others have said, all you can do is get your blood sugar back to 'normal' levels and get the weight down to a good BMI. Be careful with statins if you have them as having too low level of cholesterol can be just as harmful as a high level. Cholesterol is a body repair agent. Try to get the right cardio tests done if you can either on the NHS or privately and you may have already done this. After an anaesthetic incident, I had an exercise echocardiogram which helps show how the heart and arteries behave under stress. I also had an angiogram to see whether I had any clogging in the arteries. It showed I had a very low level of problem but had it showed any serious problem it would have pointed towards some treatment; earlier rather than later.

Reactions: Prem51

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Eatwell Plate also sponsored by PHE who have strong links to various University research departments who are funded by food companies and big pharma. I gather the food companies were the biggest attendees at the new Eatwell Guide sign-off meeting....

And I think the dieticians professional group is headed by a woman who was an executive with Coca-Cola.

There is a lot of money invested in making sure that we do not eat a simple diet that has not travelled more than the person who eats it!! There is very little profit to be made from someone who eats seasonal, local unprocessed foods. Although I must admit I cannot seem to give up coffee!!!

Reactions: Prem51

Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes
Hello greg, and welcome to the forum.

I am so sorry to hear about your brother. It mist have been a big loss and also very frightening.

I agree with just about everything you have said. I was given the eatwell guide and told that t2d is progressive. Didnt much fancy going blind or losing my feet so didnt follow any of the advice. Thank goodness for this forum. It has changed my life.

I dont have heart problems( that I know about), so have no advice for you about that. But would like to recommend jason fung on youtube. His lectures are inspiring. Also have a look at his dietdoctor wbsite, but only sign up for the pay part if you think its useful.

As to.the eatwell guide____ well, tescos helped to.design it. Nuff said.

And well done on your achievements so far. It is never too late.

Thank you for your kind response, educating myself has been a minefield, thank goodness that I have my glucose meter, this week has been nearly perfect, the only glitch, put my chicken in the aero cooker, then thought " what tasty veg shall I have, put some sliced green beans in a casserole dish, then put about a cupful of Morrisons cauliflower cheese on top. Tasted good, but when I took my readings 2 hours after, I had shot to 10.3! Learnt the lesson, back to the herbs and spices, I find turmeric and cinnamon to be very useful.

Reactions: Serena51 and Prem51

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Hi @Liam1955
How are you expect you've read on here I'm now having treatment for Lymes disease,what with gout now this has life decided I've been well enough for too long and decided to throw everything at me at once. Apparently the Lymes meds have some terrible side effects but I'd rather this for two weeks than a lifetime of what Lymes does to you.
Are you doing anything at Christmas perhaps going to Richards daughters or your sisters? And what is Florence looking for from Father Christmas this year? It's a lovely time when you have young children it's magical,enjoy this time it goes by very quickly. Best Wishes Kathleen

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Greg1957 Hi,You've made a good start on addressing your type 2 diabetes.My family had a history of heart attacks and stroke.Iwas diagnosed with type 2 D sixteen years ago at 60plus before I had easy access to the Internet.I was given the same advice as now,very little has changed!....As the illness progressed I was prescribed more medication.A year ago I discovered this site and, like you adopted a low carb with some fat diet.......my meds were three Metformin and one Gliclazide a day,plus three blood pressure tablets.I gained both extra weight and the threat of insulin loomed.Now, a year on I have lost two stone in weight,my Hb result has dropped from 48/50 on meds to 42 and my GP has reduced Metformin to two and I no longer take Gliclazide.All my results BP etc have improved.From others posting on this site,many taking action at diagnosis have had even better results and more quickly.Like you I feel furious that patients are still being given the same outdated advice thank goodness for the Internet........I have involved my GP and Diabetes Nurse in my low carb diet with varying degrees of encouragement from them.My DN gave me a meter and strips,my GP said of the diet,"You'll never stick to it" and "As you are improving Hb results you won't need the testing strips".I still test and fund some of the strips myself,the prescription hasn't yet been cancelled,so compared to many I'm lucky!Hopefully you will make good progress eating to your meter.

Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes
Thanks Glen, What a state of affairs we find ourselves in! I am delighted that you are on the right road. But isn't it disgusting that millions of people are unknowingly eating their way to their ultimate demise. we say as a matter of fact that there is to much money involved to change things, I find this sad.
If you read the contents on plumrose hot dogs, they are made from mechanically recovered meat, the rubbish gristle and nasty bits left over, these are seasoned with additives like msg to give them an acceptable flavour, oxo is 98% msg. High fructose corn syrup is another ingredient that is making rich people richer, and us Ill.
I am eating mainly non root vegetables, but have just read a paper written for the government on mineral depletion in the soil that states, for me to get the same nutrition that my grand parents received from one cabbage, I would today need to eat six cabbages!. I think the author was professor David Thomas. I feel sick to my stomach that my politicians, our farmers and our food producers have caused this, and are happy to sit back while millions die early. It is a disgrace to mankind. "Oh dear I am getting annoyed again"

So, what do do? In a perfect world there world be a public information campaign, but money and big business will not let this happen. My next consideration was legal action firstly against the dept of health, then the food producers, then thought, doomed to failure, they have the money and the power, I have neither. So perhaps I will post this as a new discussion and see if as a group anyone has any idea's. But again this will only work if enough people take part... head spinning, time for a nice cup of tea.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Thanks Glen, What a state of affairs we find ourselves in! I am delighted that you are on the right road. But isn't it disgusting that millions of people are unknowingly eating their way to their ultimate demise. we say as a matter of fact that there is to much money involved to change things, I find this sad.
If you read the contents on plumrose hot dogs, they are made from mechanically recovered meat, the rubbish gristle and nasty bits left over, these are seasoned with additives like msg to give them an acceptable flavour, oxo is 98% msg. High fructose corn syrup is another ingredient that is making rich people richer, and us Ill.
I am eating mainly non root vegetables, but have just read a paper written for the government on mineral depletion in the soil that states, for me to get the same nutrition that my grand parents received from one cabbage, I would today need to eat six cabbages!. I think the author was professor David Thomas. I feel sick to my stomach that my politicians, our farmers and our food producers have caused this, and are happy to sit back while millions die early. It is a disgrace to mankind. "Oh dear I am getting annoyed again"

So, what do do? In a perfect world there world be a public information campaign, but money and big business will not let this happen. My next consideration was legal action firstly against the dept of health, then the food producers, then thought, doomed to failure, they have the money and the power, I have neither. So perhaps I will post this as a new discussion and see if as a group anyone has any idea's. But again this will only work if enough people take part... head spinning, time for a nice cup of tea.
Totally agree with what you say but who's going to listen not the money people that's for sure or manufacturer there making too much money? For instance this site Diabetes.co.uk has been trying to get NHS and doctors to take notice of how many diabetics have now got control or reversed the diabetes but they are like dinosaurs slowly it will change they will have to take notice. No point complaining about how many new diabetics there are without working out it's eating loads of fast foods and unhealthy carbs that's causing it,but somebody definitely needs to wake up and smell the coffeee because we are about to be in epidemic mode soon. K

Reactions: Greg1957

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @Greg1957 and welcome. Like @Rachox, I stumbled on this site two months ago and it has been an eye-opener (in a very positive way!). The addition of high fructose corn syrup to just about everything is, in my view, bordering on criminal and only serves to like the pockets of some very big companies. The head-spinning.... it was interesting to read your comment about mineral-depleted soil - there is so much information out there, good or bad, false or true, that it IS head-spinning. I found that, and decided to limit my research to this forum and the helpful links provided throughout until I have a better grasp on things. Some 'fixes' (the soil) are beyond our own doing, except with public protests, but others are within our power. I'm with you on the pasty front, though - Warrens just about to open here. Aaargh! But that is another problem: do we really need yet another bakery/coffee shop in this smallish town? We have 42 places you can buy a coffee, including four coffee chains, and at least five cake shops/bakeries, all in the centre. But we have no greengrocers or fishmongers.....

Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes
It's moments like this that I feel like a tadpole in a giant lake, lol

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

One thing we can do, if we can afford it, is eat organic.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your kind response, educating myself has been a minefield, thank goodness that I have my glucose meter, this week has been nearly perfect, the only glitch, put my chicken in the aero cooker, then thought " what tasty veg shall I have, put some sliced green beans in a casserole dish, then put about a cupful of Morrisons cauliflower cheese on top. Tasted good, but when I took my readings 2 hours after, I had shot to 10.3! Learnt the lesson, back to the herbs and spices, I find turmeric and cinnamon to be very useful.
I find cauliflower with grated cheese sprinkled on when hot an acceptable and very easy alternative to a proper cauliflower cheese. But I don't think my bs could cope with a whole cupful. More like one sprig! As a bloke you can probably allow yourself a bit more.

Reactions: Prem51 and Greg1957

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I would like to bet the green beans didn't help much if the portion was large. ;)

Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes
I would like to bet the green beans didn't help much if the portion was large. ;)

You have probably hit the nail on the head here, I assumed that I could eat more veg to compensate for the lack of carb's, trying to get my head around the eat less more often mantra.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You have probably hit the nail on the head here, I assumed that I could eat more veg to compensate for the lack of carb's, trying to get my head around the eat less more often mantra.

It is a long learning curve. :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Blueberries are one of the higher carb fruits, you could find other berries with half the carbs.
I also can only have small amounts of peas or green beans and eat no other legumes, as they spike my BG and keep it high.
But I eat all sorts of meat and fish - including the skin and fats - fats do not spike BG. They also alter how other foods are digested.
Vegetables are the source of almost all my carbs now - I do eat a Lidl protein roll occasionally, but after a year of low carb foods (rather than trying to eat small amounts of high carb ones) I find that adding a few more carbs has no huge effect. I made some Yorkshire puddings to go with the thanksgiving meal we had with family and ate rather a lot of them. I thought that my BG would be high - it was 7.9mmol/l after just over 2 hours. I don't push my luck - next time I make Yorkshire puddings will be at Christmas and I will be considering the recipe to see if I can alter it to reduce the effect even further, or I might just make smaller ones or fewer. I use 3 eggs so they are large due to the air they contain.

Reactions: DavidK59 and Prem51

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd like to eat less more often, but to date have completely failed to organise it. You do realise that green beans contain carbs? This was one of my big moments of disillusion in my diabetes journey - the realisation that almost anything you can eat contains carbs, except meat (which I don't eat) and fish. Even raw spinach, celery and cucumber contain carbs, and somehow those carbs mount up really fast.

Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes
I'd like to eat less more often, but to date have completely failed to organise it. You do realise that green beans contain carbs? This was one of my big moments of disillusion in my diabetes journey - the realisation that almost anything you can eat contains carbs, except meat (which I don't eat) and fish. Even raw spinach, celery and cucumber contain carbs, and somehow those carbs mount up really fast.

Panicking now! If green veg is still full of carb's what is left that I can eat! I don't even want to ask about broad beans, intended to have them with a bit of smoked haddock for tea. So... having watched the Chinese doctor video, I think he was called Dr Fung, he advocates fast for 1-5 days then eat for 1-5 days, could this be a solution, or will I feint behind the wheel of my car due to lack of food affecting my sugar? This is a minefield. What I need is an action plan, but I am finding this very hard to formulate.