Feeling annoyed!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, it will be coffee and cream in the morning, for lunch I cooked spinach, peeled quartered and sliced courgette, 3 cloves of garlic a pinch of black pepper and a heaped spoonful of Creme fraiche with 2 poached eggs and 2 kippers, hopefully the creme fraiche will do the job.

fe98e6fa24d02e1cfc03517665cec4bb.jpg

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did you realise, crême fraiche has more than double the carbs of double cream - 3.4 per 100g versus 1.6?

Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes
Did you realise, crême fraiche has more than double the carbs of double cream - 3.4 per 100g versus 1.6?
Nope, and thanks, I live 1 mile away from Rodda's creamery famous for its Cornish Clotted Cream, out with the creme fraiche, in with clotted cream. Life gets better everyday lol

M

Member34835

Hi titalltmy agree with you and glad your changes are working. I like Fat Emoerira take on the Cholesterol Cinnubdrum if you are up for more research on You Tube. A C (calcium scan looks at the actual duisease rather than just rusk factors) and peoole have recovered their health by better bg nanagenent Good luck

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Alexandra - your morning rise recovers quickly because you are not diabetic. Your insulin is much more efficient than an insulin resistant T2. In IR T2s the rise will continue until they eat. The less IR you are, the quicker your insulin with stop that rise.
Bluetit, that's an interesting point, and it may well be that I am not very insulin resistant, given that I am very under-weight. However I think I must be producing very little insulin, since even consuming probably under 20 grammes carbs daily I can't keep my numbers anywhere near normal, and they rise during the day whatever I do - eat almost no carbs, fast - doesn't matter. I think I am Lada, but I go with Dr Bernstein's thinking that the category is irrelevant. What counts is the level of glucose in the blood. I can see that many T2s can eat far more carbs than me while maintaining good bg readings. My A1c was 41, officially pre-diabetic in the UK, but I go along with the belief that with an A1c over 31 one is already in harm's way. Certainly I can now identify health problems that imo were due to my bg level, which have disappeared since I began to reduce my carbs, and others also linked to my bg which have not yet improved, but I'm living in hopes!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nope, and thanks, I live 1 mile away from Rodda's creamery famous for its Cornish Clotted Cream, out with the creme fraiche, in with clotted cream. Life gets better everyday lol
Rodda's clotted cream - carbs 2.5 gc per 100g, so more than double but less than fraiche

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What was your bgl when you retested?

When I was new I also struggled with the dawn phenomena... it can be really frustrating! So I tested hourly even through the night to find out what was going on with my blood sugars! I discovered I was perfect and stable (in the 4s) until about 5am, then I would spike. So I was high from 5am until I woke up. I found eating a block of cheese before bed did help block the rise in the morning. I only tested through the night for a week to find the trend. Once I got into ketosis and RE educated my body I have found I no longer get dawn phenomena... which is great.

P.s your food looks yummy! I don't have time to make mine look gourmet! Well done.
I am SO impressed! Such devoted research in one so busy!!! Puts the paid scientists to shame. Your findings make me wonder, if I got up at 5am (or perhaps 4.45) would I escape the dawn phenomenon or would it re-schedule? Does it come at a certain time of day, or at a certain point in one's timetable? I was also interested to see that you eat late night cheese. I do this too, as well as eating pretty low carb, and I don't have too much of a problem with the dawn ph. My levels do rise more than I like later in the day, though. Do you have normal levels all day?

Reactions: busydiabeticmum

Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes
Yesterday at this time I had fasted and my bg had risen to 11.2, today I have not eaten yet, but took advice and had a coffee with double cream first thing this morning, I have just took a reading, and it is 8.2 so the coffee seems to be doing its work, about to have lunch, I am not feeling that hungry, so will have kippers in butter, 2 hard boiled eggs and a little washed rocket. I will take a reading in 2 hours.

Using cream and butter has certainly reduced hunger, and has enhanced the flavour of otherwise bland leafy veg. Now considering dinner tonight, photo later lol

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday at this time I had fasted and my bg had risen to 11.2, today I have not eaten yet, but took advice and had a coffee with double cream first thing this morning, I have just took a reading, and it is 8.2 so the coffee seems to be doing its work, about to have lunch, I am not feeling that hungry, so will have kippers in butter, 2 hard boiled eggs and a little washed rocket. I will take a reading in 2 hours.

Using cream and butter has certainly reduced hunger, and has enhanced the flavour of otherwise bland leafy veg. Now considering dinner tonight, photo later lol
For me, tea with double cream (2 dessert spoons) is not enough to stop a rise. Maybe experiment with adding a little cheese tomorrow morning and see if your reading might be lower?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
and
@Greg1957 1957

Rodda almost make a creme fraiche which is only 1.9g of carbs per 100g go for it!

edited to add it tastes great too...
Why have crême fraiche at 1.9 when you can have double cream at 1.6? I may be missing something here, but imo the appelation "crême fraiche" is clever marketing aimed at making people think this cream is less fattening and more healthy.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am SO impressed! Such devoted research in one so busy!!! Puts the paid scientists to shame. Your findings make me wonder, if I got up at 5am (or perhaps 4.45) would I escape the dawn phenomenon or would it re-schedule? Does it come at a certain time of day, or at a certain point in one's timetable? I was also interested to see that you eat late night cheese. I do this too, as well as eating pretty low carb, and I don't have too much of a problem with the dawn ph. My levels do rise more than I like later in the day, though. Do you have normal levels all day?

What sort of levels do you see, FBG/before meals/after meals/bedtime?

Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes
I am unable to put up a picture of lunch as I did yesterday, instead of being able to select an image from gallery, it will only allow me to upload an image from a URL, is this the same for everyone, or has something changed overnight?

Have my images been silenced lol

Going to change my profile picture into lunch!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What sort of levels do you see, FBG/before meals/after meals/bedtime?
Thanks Bluetit, I know these numbers are not terrible, but I would like to abolish the 6s and given how few carbs I am eating I can't see how..
Friday 7.24 fasting 5.4 ; tea + cream x 2 ; 10.38am pre breakfast 4.7 ; 10.54 breakfast ; post no readings ; tea + cream ; 16.56 pre dinner 4.3 ; 16.59 dinner ; tea + cream ; 19.18 2 hrs post 6.5 ; 20.10 post 3 hrs 5.8
Saturday 7.18am fasting 5.3 ; tea + cream ; 9.56am 4.8 pre breakfast ; 10.06 breakfast ; post no readings ; 14.28 pre lunch 4.8 ; 14.44 lunch ; 16.50 2 hrs post 5.6 ; 19.07 pre dinner 5.1 ; 19.08 dinner ; 21.17 2 hrs post 6.4 ; 22.33 bedtime ( 3+ hrs post) 5.3
Sunday 7.48am fasting 4.8 ; tea + cream ; Pre-breakfast 10.05am 4.8 ; 10.07 breakfast ; 12.11am 2 hrs post 5.3 ; 13.13 3hrs post 5.6 ; 17.24 pre dinner 4.9 17.59 dinner ; 20.08 2hrs post 6.1 ; 21.10 3 hrs post 6.4 ; 22.04 bedtime 4hrs post 5.6

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Bluetit, I know these numbers are not terrible, but I would like to abolish the 6s and given how few carbs I am eating I can't see how..
Friday 7.24 fasting 5.4 ; tea + cream x 2 ; 10.38am pre breakfast 4.7 ; 10.54 breakfast ; post no readings ; tea + cream ; 16.56 pre dinner 4.3 ; 16.59 dinner ; tea + cream ; 19.18 2 hrs post 6.5 ; 20.10 post 3 hrs 5.8
Saturday 7.18am fasting 5.3 ; tea + cream ; 9.56am 4.8 pre breakfast ; 10.06 breakfast ; post no readings ; 14.28 pre lunch 4.8 ; 14.44 lunch ; 16.50 2 hrs post 5.6 ; 19.07 pre dinner 5.1 ; 19.08 dinner ; 21.17 2 hrs post 6.4 ; 22.33 bedtime ( 3+ hrs post) 5.3
Sunday 7.48am fasting 4.8 ; tea + cream ; Pre-breakfast 10.05am 4.8 ; 10.07 breakfast ; 12.11am 2 hrs post 5.3 ; 13.13 3hrs post 5.6 ; 17.24 pre dinner 4.9 17.59 dinner ; 20.08 2hrs post 6.1 ; 21.10 3 hrs post 6.4 ; 22.04 bedtime 4hrs post 5.6

My very first thought is that your numbers in each of the circumstances are very similar to mine. They could in fact be mine except I often drop 2 hours after lunch. (It's one reason why I strongly believe my HbA1cs are falsely elevated)

I have no suggestions as to how you can drop. It could just be an age thing - it is proved that older people have higher levels, presumably because things wear out as we age, and also because our growth hormones are a lot less than they were when we were younger and needed them more. It is these growth hormones, along with glycogen, that regulate our glucose levels.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My very first thought is that your numbers in each of the circumstances are very similar to mine. They could in fact be mine except I often drop 2 hours after lunch. (It's one reason why I strongly believe my HbA1cs are falsely elevated)

I have no suggestions as to how you can drop. It could just be an age thing - it is proved that older people have higher levels, presumably because things wear out as we age, and also because our growth hormones are a lot less than they were when we were younger and needed them more. It is these growth hormones, along with glycogen, that regulate our glucose levels.
Thanks. Are you saying that you too get higher numbers later in the day?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. Are you saying that you too get higher numbers later in the day?

Only after evening meal - because that's when I eat most of my carbs. My pre-dinner levels are my lowest of the day and always have been, right from the start. You could do some research on higher levels for older people, and how the growth hormone depletes with age.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why have crême fraiche at 1.9 when you can have double cream at 1.6? I may be missing something here, but imo the appelation "crême fraiche" is clever marketing aimed at making people think this cream is less fattening and more healthy.
I have cream at least 4 times a day in my coffee.. sometimes a bit of sourness is nice for example in the pork stroganof hubby made last night. I think double cream would have made it a tiny bit too rich..then again... there's always next time.