Reactions: dbr10

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I agree with you -- but for DUK to be reporting it means it will get pushed at a bigger audience .

I took it as a positive step.:)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with you -- but for DUK to be reporting it means it will get pushed at a bigger audience .

I took it as a positive step.:)

Hmm well they did pay for the trial so they need to big it up...

I'm still not convinced that an ultra low calorie diet will work for many and Prof Taylor is a bit of a "blamer" its "all about portion size and inactivity.." The same type of cr*p that the Daily Mail sometimes spouts. I expect him to know better.
I think he is still suck in the "obesity causes Type 2" rather than obesity is a symptom of hyperinsulinemia which causes Type 2. But that's just me... I'd go for Fung over Taylor any day.

Reactions: dbr10

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I am smiling here @bulkbiker :)
at you for being so committed and enthusiastic
and at me for mostly agreeing with you

I suppose I am hopeful that these sort of changes will get us as a world towards better and more effective treatment ( and prevention)

I know 2 ladies that attend a diabetic group with me that have put their T2D into remission following this diet.
( I know , I know -- only anecdotal --)

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that any sort of severe calorie restriction is going to reduce carbs too. but its a missed opportunity to focus on the carb intake specifically, and that weight gain is a symptom : (

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @himtoo
It was the Newcastle research that gave me hope when I was first diagnosed almost 3 years ago. My GP wouldn't agree to me doing their diet but was happy for me to lose a bit of weight, I wasn't overweight my BMI was 24.8. I lost 15 kg by eating 500 cals a day less than I was burning and I have had normal HbA1c's for over 2 years now so I really support this. I did end up having to put some weight back on as 15 kg was too much for me to lose.

Reactions: Serena51

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I suppose I am hopeful that these sort of changes will get us as a world towards better and more effective treatment ( and prevention)

I know 2 ladies that attend a diabetic group with me that have put their T2D into remission following this diet.
Anecdotes are what this site thrives on..I love 'em!
Real evidence trumps theory in my book every time..

Reactions: himtoo and ziggy_w

james11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Another breakthru !!..sorry i didnt read the link...i see stories of breakthrus often..but they are never mentioned by the so called health care professionals at my appointments. Its all hot air as far as i can see..even if it is a break thru it just means another funding crisis which rumbles on forever...jus carry on as you were

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm well they did pay for the trial so they need to big it up...

I'm still not convinced that an ultra low calorie diet will work for many and Prof Taylor is a bit of a "blamer" its "all about portion size and inactivity.." The same type of cr*p that the Daily Mail sometimes spouts. I expect him to know better.
I think he is still suck in the "obesity causes Type 2" rather than obesity is a symptom of hyperinsulinemia which causes Type 2. But that's just me... I'd go for Fung over Taylor any day.

For all the people who found a reversal through this - I bet they wont mind what they are called or the premise but the result.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Agreed - onwards and upwards.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
For all the people who found a reversal through this - I bet they wont mind what they are called or the premise but the result.

They are not talking reversal. They are talking remission, and less than half managed it.

The first year results are hugely promising. They show that it’s possible for some people to put their Type 2 diabetes into remission using a low-calorie diet programme, delivered by their GP. Almost half (45.6%) of those who took part in the programme were in remission after a year.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @himtoo
It was the Newcastle research that gave me hope when I was first diagnosed almost 3 years ago. My GP wouldn't agree to me doing their diet but was happy for me to lose a bit of weight, I wasn't overweight my BMI was 24.8. I lost 15 kg by eating 500 cals a day less than I was burning and I have had normal HbA1c's for over 2 years now so I really support this. I did end up having to put some weight back on as 15 kg was too much for me to lose.

Well done to you. I haven't found out yet whether I have reversed it through my diet but my BG is a lot lower now and I can take in many many more carbs than before.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Completely agree but it's the sustainability of the result that is the issue.
This is one of my criticisms of the earlier Newcastle Studies. There was never a published follow up of the results after a longer period had passed and the newest one hasn't been going long enough to tell.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They are not talking reversal. They are talking remission, and less than half managed it.

The first year results are hugely promising. They show that it’s possible for some people to put their Type 2 diabetes into remission using a low-calorie diet programme, delivered by their GP. Almost half (45.6%) of those who took part in the programme were in remission after a year.

Why so negative? I don't understand it. And reversal, remission - I was careful not use cure as I don't believe that but the other two words are defined differently by different people.

Almost half achieved it - that is absolutely breath-taking news and as I say - the almost half that did are going to be smiling from ear to ear.

Can we publish similar clinical data on any other treatment that has done the same?

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Completely agree but it's the sustainability of the result that is the issue.
This is one of my criticisms of the earlier Newcastle Studies. There was never a published follow up of the results after a longer period had passed and the newest one hasn't been going long enough to tell.

Yes I want to see all of that to.
I would love all of the data - what their OGTT curves looked like - spikes after food - all of that and it will frustrate me no end when we do not get this. But for today - I am rejoicing that a bunch of people are in a better place than they work which is a dream come true for many of them I am sure.

Reactions: Glenmac

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I expect that the Beeb will run a story showing overweight people with no heads walking through a shopping centre citing 'Eat less move more'.... call me cynical.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can we publish similar clinical data on any other treatment that has done the same?
Well we have however many the low carb program has helped ... thousands? tens of thousands? hundreds of thousands?
I believe the paper is being written at the moment.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Why so negative? I don't understand it. And reversal, remission - I was careful not use cure as I don't believe that but the other two words are defined differently by different people.

I don't think I'm being negative. I am not against the ND in any way. I am merely pointing out the facts that after 12 months less than half the participants managed remission - which I believe meant having an HbA1c of under 48 during the period, so still "at risk" if they were close to that figure. Of course it is great news for those people, and they deserve accolade for getting through it all, and I hope sincerely that they continue to be in remission, don't gain back the weight, and can eat normally.

I wonder why the other half didn't? It would be interesting to know.

To me, reversal means diabetes has gone away for good. You have gone back to not being diabetic. You are no longer diabetic. You are cured. Remission to me is something more temporary, something that may well last forever, but may not.
They have picked their words very carefully.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hi guys ( and gals )
I hope I am not stirring up a hornet's nest
I am so sorry if I have.....

my real intention was to sort of say....

look everybody -- we are not alone in our DCUK forum and that perhaps the message is spreading.
Perhaps the medical Pro's will listen going forward
DUK have been at the forefront of initiatives involving DVLA and workplace so they are not all that bad

I don't cry so much for myself anymore - I been doing the D far far too long.
but I shed a tear nearly every time I read a new thread on here for people getting bad advice from HCP's
( and there are loads )
I hate reading about any of us suffering from this hateful chronic illness