1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

saw this on the DUK website - breakthrough in type 2 treatment

Discussion in 'Diabetes Research' started by himtoo, Dec 5, 2017.

1. andcol

andcol I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

Yes intermittent fasting is known to bring on autophagy and so is exercise that stresses the muscles (like resistance training) and also, due to switching insulin requirements very low, is ketosis.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. woodywhippet61

woodywhippet61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I agree this concerns me as well. I really hope that the people for whom this has worked maintain it. There is so much blame and shame attached to having a T2 diagnosis.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Salvia

Salvia Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Thanks, andcol - that's helpful and hopeful info. I don't think I could do the ND diet but I'm ok with fasting, and exercise. I could do that more regularly and for a longer time on each occasion.

4. Biggles2

Biggles2 · Well-Known Member

Totally agree @bulkbiker -Yes, it is the same old story: obesity conceptualized as a moral failure - featuring 2 of the 7 deadly sins no less: gluttony and sloth!
    Gary Taubes has written about how this flawed paradigm came about in the following article:
    http://www.nature.com/news/treat-obesity-as-physiology-not-physics-1.12014
    “This paradigm of energy balance/overeating/gluttony/sloth became the conventional, unquestioned explanation for why we get fat.”

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

you make a fair point regarding bad dietary advice -- but I think your focus is looking at now versus looking forward --
    look at your own signature profile -- you have made individual change in under 6 months -- societal change can take a while longer to implement , I have learned much about patience in my time...........

• Agree Agree x 2
    #45 himtoo, Dec 5, 2017 at 10:47 PM
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  6. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

At least with bariatric surgery, the form which reverses diabetes, has more influence on long-term prognosis. Ok there is more research in this field than ND and being performed successful, for longer but far less hungry whilst improving diabetes status, permanently.
    Yes many add weight in settling down 2yrs after op. Many lose more than predicted too.
    I hoping for a workable bmi with my diabetes.. If i manage to reverse it it will be also be needing good aftercare/management. Which is obviously self management. This is where bariatric surgery fails it's participants. After surgery. Currently huge emphasis on choosing the right patients.
    I hope to do their statistics proud. And their aftercare stats even better.
    Maybe we need a section in the forum for aftercare/maintenance?

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. Biggles2

Biggles2 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  8. Down-Jai 001

Down-Jai 001 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I do wonder as I look at the low calorie intake, on the breakthu news today, as low as 200 a day and I use ove 400 in one activity. I am not over weigh but I want to come off : the slow release insulin inject 6 units just in the evening only. At the moment I'm on the low carb diet. Perhaps there's no way I could get off the insulin.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  9. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

The poor woman on bbc news at lunchtime, i really could see the sorrow in her eyes. What will happen if she starts adding weight or has rogue bgs due to stress etc... i really feel for her. So much pressure on her when most likely it will be out of her control. :(

• Like Like x 1
  10. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

I am also quite interested in what the 4% in the control group did to achieve their remission (which I imagine was quite unexpected)... was it LCHF I wonder and did they find it here...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

If only 6units, i think you can. Is it a basal injection?

12. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Sounds possible but could be the group who are told diabetes is progressive and done trails to prove professor wrong? Maybe. Will we get to know?

13. bulkbiker

I doubt that you will get much benefit from autophagy drinking the amount of carbs contained in the shakes.. So far as I am aware carbs and protein will stop autophagy (or at least that's what my reading would suggest) so the likelihood of anyone on the trail achieving beneficial autophagy would be very surprising.

14. bulkbiker

probably not.. they didn't follow the correct pattern.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. bulkbiker

But they didn't do intermittent fasting they were having three shakes a day weren't they?

16. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I agree.
    When will they get it?
    Type1s see it everyday.
    The more insulin, the more weight. Type1s who've had no insulin for a while go too skinny which damages the organs. Of course acid builds up in the blood too.
    So.... the opposite to that is too much insulin circulating and causing no energy or intermittent energy to be processed. Fat cells bring created in the wrong way which clogg up the process even more, and more.
    I found r-ala a key to trying to straighten that circulation/pathway to be released. A very good supplement for type2 patients.

17. Down-Jai 001

Down-Jai 001 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

18. Shiba Park

Shiba Park Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Be careful with that analogy; what happens when a type 1 has 'too much insulin circulating'? There certainly aren't any fat cells being created of the wrong or any other way! And how is 'excess insulin' addressed for a type 1?

If you're going to extrapolate between the different types of diabetes (and why not? Surely there must be at least some overlap in the carb/insulin relationship) you need to use the same goal posts. Type 1's can and do put on weight. But not as a result of hypoglycemia...

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook