Type 2 Can you?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Can you develop type 1 diabetes at 27?

Allegedly 1 in 5 T1s are diagnosed after the age of 40.
So yes, you can.
Diagnosis at 27 will be assumed to be T1 but you can also develop T2 at a surprisingly early age.

Early onset and late onset are no longer an accurate guide.

I note that you classify yourself as T2.
Typo in the original question, or are you between diagnoses and wondering which you are?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Yes, you can. Even people in their 40s and even into later life are diagnosed as T1. As to how long their bodies have been able to compensate comes into question.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It has been known.. I was chatting to a woman at work last week, who's daughter was diagnosed a couple of years back in her mid/late twenties..

It happens.!

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a first cousin who was diagnosed with Type 1 ... at the age of 27.

KitSileya

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The husband of a colleague developed T1 at 37, so at 27 it is a definite possibility.

spage

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m in between. Was diagnosed this week with type 2 but because they are so high I needed another blood test as he think I could be type 1 but my friend that’s a nurse said there is no way I can be a type 1 as born with it but google and docs said about it so wasn’t sure. Thankyou all. I had gestational diabetes last year and was insulin dependent but hoping the results are straight forward so can move forward in the right direction x

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
my friend that’s a nurse said there is no way I can be a type 1 as born with it

You aren't born with type 1. That's nonsense. Type 1 is an autoimmune immune disease that can develop at any age.

A history of gestational diabetes puts you at increased risk of type 2, because it shows that you are prone to hormonal insulin resistance.

How long ago was the pregnancy? Have you been having the advised post gestational diabetes follow ups with hba1c? What did they show? It is possible the GD was misdiagnosed & was actually type 1 but the birth + breast feeding allowed a strong honeymoon.

High blood sugar doesn't distinguish between type 1 and type 2. The tests to distinguish between types would be cpeptide and gad tests.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I developed Type 1 at 27 also. I was told at one of my appointments that around half of T1 diagnosis occur in adulthood.

spage

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You aren't born with type 1. That's nonsense. Type 1 is an autoimmune immune disease that can develop at any age.

A history of gestational diabetes puts you at increased risk of type 2, because it shows that you are prone to hormonal insulin resistance.

How long ago was the pregnancy? Have you been having the advised post gestational diabetes follow ups with hba1c? What did they show? It is possible the GD was misdiagnosed & was actually type 1 but the birth + breast feeding allowed a strong honeymoon.

High blood sugar doesn't distinguish between type 1 and type 2. The tests to distinguish between types would be cpeptide and gad tests.

Thankyou for your reply. My boy is now 13 months old. At my 6 week check after he was born they said it had cleared. This all came about on my yearly checks. I had my random check then got told they were high and that I need to do a fasting blood. A week later (Thursday last week) I get a phone call to say I need a urgent appointment with the docs and that’s where they said and then the next day I had another blood test to check for type 1. Seeing doc this Wednesday so will no for sure. You have been very helpful.