Poor 6 Monthly Results & Very Worried

johnoo

Not writing this to brag but to encourage those who are trying to obtain better results.
Always a bit of a concern when you go to get results after a major improvement, I reduced my HBa1C last time from 75 to 45.
However the fist words from my nurse were "Wow" how are you doing it.
I told her again it was a low carb. diet that has been the main factor of the improvement.
The HbA1c has reduced again to 42.
This led to discussion on medication & agreed that my Metformin should reduce from 3/day to 2.
The end of the conversation was, why not go home & have a celebration Gin & Tonic, with diet Tonic, so I had two!
Hope this just helps perhaps one other person to keep trying

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm glad to see that the nurse has seen sense about overmedicating you - and well done on those numbers being so high and so normal in the face of the advice to keep taking the tablets.

johnoo

Results recently have been a bit erratic, holidays etc have given problems.
I've tried to counter by increasing Metformin back to original dosage.
Current average BS 2 hours after B/Fast in December has been 7.75, & 2 hours after Supper 6.32.
But tonight before Supper it was 5.5 & 2 hours after 4.4
I do not feel that at a Hypo state, but is it too low?
Don't want to panic & have a biscuit, but what is the normal cut in point for Hypo's?
Hope somebody can help

Reactions: Prem51

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Below 4
If youre not on a blood sugar reducing med like insulin or gliclizide which can induce hypos theres nothing to worry about even if your sugars are in the mid 3s and above

johnoo

Below 4
If youre not on a blood sugar reducing med like insulin or gliclizide which can induce hypos theres nothing to worry about even if your sugars are in the mid 3s and above
I am on Gliclizide, 1 AM & 1 PM, so should I worry about getting BS of 4.4 2 hours after Supper?

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am on Gliclizide, 1 AM & 1 PM, so should I worry about getting BS of 4.4 2 hours after Supper?
Im on Glic too and was told to ensure sugars werent below 7 ish when going to bed - what advice have your healthcare team given you re the risk of nocturnal hypos?

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm no expert, but that doesn't seem unreasonable, unless you are planning to drive (I was taught "five to drive" and "four's the floor").
I had a 3.7 the other day about 2 hrs after a meal, but I was unexpectedly running around a lot just before it reached that.

johnoo

Im on Glic too and was told to ensure sugars werent below 7 ish when going to bed - what advice have your healthcare team given you re the risk of nocturnal hypos?
I've not had any medical advise about nocturnal hypo's, but then I've not asked for this information.
Just a bit concerned this evening that I could dip even lower.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've not had any medical advise about nocturnal hypo's, but then I've not asked for this information.
Just a bit concerned this evening that I could dip even lower.
How long ago was your pm dose of gliclizide? What are your sugars now? going up or down?
Depending on the answers to those questions, you could eat a small snack before going to bed and / or test in the early hours ( (1-2am maybe) and see where they are at then

Edit to add link
https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-in...nting-problems/low-blood-glucose-hypoglycemia

Last edited:

johnoo

How long ago was your pm dose of gliclizide? What are your sugars now? going up or down?
Depending on the answers to those questions, you could eat a small snack before going to bed and / or test in the early hours ( (1-2am maybe) and see where they are at then
Time is now 22:33
Had last Gliclazide @ 17:30
BS just taken is still 4.4
Have decided to have two biscuits, & will then go to bed

johnoo

Well, at least I'm alive this morning!
Fasting BS was 8.1
But I am prone to overnight sugar dump.
But perhaps I should not have had the two biscuits, one never knows.
Thanks for the support
The battle continues!

Gabrielle_Tai

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, just drop by this forum to learn about what my other half doing (those that suffer from type 2).Nocturnal Hypoglycemia is a big pain for us type 1 and i am shock to learn even type 2 can have them.Take care of yourself and i learn more everyday about diabetes.

Reactions: Prem51 and Guzzler

johnoo

Latest tests show an HbA1c of 55, a deterioration over the last test which was 42.
Should I be concerned or is this figure still acceptable control?

Reactions: Lyndsay444

Tony 1711

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Depends on the fruit, melon (all types) are excellent, very low, and at the other end banana's and oranges are a lot higher.
Google www.dietdoctor and you will find excellent low carb menu's plus info og the carb content of all different foods and fruits.

johnoo

Depends on the fruit, melon (all types) are excellent, very low, and at the other end banana's and oranges are a lot higher.
Google www.dietdoctor and you will find excellent low carb menu's plus info og the carb content of all different foods and fruits.
Tony,
Can't understand why you gave this information!
This was my question:-
Latest tests show an HbA1c of 55, a deterioration over the last test which was 42.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Tony,
Can't understand why you gave this information!
This was my question:-

Where do you want to be? That is the question. Personally it would be a concern. It isn't telling me you have control. A deterioration from 42 to 55 is what it is, a deterioration. Your problem now is to turn this round or your next test may be even worse. Something you are doing is not helping you. Do you know what this "something" is?