Type 1 FreeStyle Libre

joshluck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I seen an article on line yesterday stating that the FreeStyle Libre is available on the NHS, if so is it worth looking into getting it.

Reactions: himtoo

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well, I definitely find the Libre very useful, however most CCG's aren't prescribing yet, have very strict guidelines on who can have it or just aren't going to prescribe them as far as I can see :(.
You can always ask your DN/doctor but I wouldn't be surprised if you're told no.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi @joshluck

given you current circumstances I would see it as an essential bit of kit -- I think it could help you soooooo much

talk to your DSN and start with asking for a trial !!!!!

Reactions: dbr10

joshluck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I phoned my doctors today I have an appointment to discuss it hopefully I can have it, I think it will help massively. If not I’ll speak to my DSN, thanks.

Edge

I went onto the Freestyle Libre only two days ago but already I have found benefits. It provides a great level of detail about how your glucose levels are rising and falling which gives good insights and helps with planning. The ability to scan many times a day is great, it’s so much more convenient.

My understanding is that many NHS trusts in different counties have not approved use of the libre on prescription, and that is true of Hertfordshire I believe as I cannot have this on NHS myself. I guess they are still working out who needs this device (e.g someone will low warning signs that has hypos) and the cost/benefits v test strips.

The sensors are expensive at over £55 each every two weeks, if you are paying yourself. Also, it’s frustrating for me as a Mac user that there is no driver software and no Apple iPhone app either (windows and android phones only)

All said, you may be able to get a free starter pack which comes with one sensor. If so, I recommend using it for 14 days and see how it works out for you.

frazerl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I tried the libre for about 4 months when I was getting really low about testing all the time and I really loved it. Just a couple of niggles if you catch it on something and comes off then thats £50 odd down the drain. Also DVLA require a finger prick test so if you are on insulin and drive you still need test strips. You can get the stips for the Libre but I just figued for me pointless if I still have to test as normal.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The sensors are expensive at over £55 each every two weeks
They come down to £50ish if you tick the VAT exemption box at checkout (which you're entitled to do).
:)

Visitor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I. Ive been testing one of these for the past few days, a nurse fitted the first sensor and it fell off within the first 20 min of use, so i couldnt get a reading as you have to wait 30 min.

Having complained to Abbott, they sent me another sensor, this time i fitted it, and it lasted 3 days before falling off again.

This device has a pin, this sticks into your arm and gets below the skin, and this is why you need to wait the first 30 min before use

The device is reading higher than most meters about 2 mmol but that's not bad.

Yes you can read 100 times a day if you want, and read when you would normally need to wait.

Not yet on the nhs, and i don't think the type of person who might fit in to get one of these will be any of us.

In fact i dont think these will be approved at all, considering the very high running cost and the sensor falling off regular, these are just toys, gimmicky things with no real help at all

If it falls off, throw it away, it will never go back on or work again

Stick with what you know, its not that bad having to prick your finger to get a reading, and you know these devices are all proved to work well, unlike this xxxxk from Abbott, who should have done a lot more work before trying to make themselves rich

Last edited:

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Day 3 of my trial using it and since day 2 never been out of range from my blood sample by more than 1.5mmol, which I still have to do for driving. Closest was 0.2mmol. Loving the arrow showing which way bloods are going. Very happy with it at the moment.

Reactions: dbr10 and karen8967

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Just be aware that they're not always accurate, particularly when your blood sugar is low or changing fast. There's a known ten minute delay between the libre result and your actual blood sugar, and they also tend to be very inaccurate when the sensor is first applied (many people stick them on for 24 hours before activating the sensor). So you definitely need to do occasional blood tests to check that they're reading correctly.

I started using one in June 2016 and had 8 months of being the happiest diabetic known to mankind, it was life changing. Unfortunately after that I developed an allergy to the glue used on the sensor and found that the sensors started to read much much lower than my blood sugar, so that the sensor became useless at readings below about 5 (since they would read anything between LO and 4 at this point). I should probably start my own thread to discuss this, however.

When it was working properly I found the overnight readings really really useful, as you can wake in the night, do a quick swipe of the meter, and have immediate reassurance about night time hypos...

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Unfortunately after that I developed an allergy to the glue used on the sensor and found that the sensors started to read much much lower than my blood sugar, so that the sensor became useless at readings below about 5 (since they would read anything between LO and 4 at this point). I should probably start my own thread to discuss this, however.

I am a new user, currently on my second sensor. Both sensors have exhibited similar behaviour. I have discovered that when it tells me I am at 3.0mmol, I can finger prick and my normal meter reads above 5.0. It seems to correspond with reasonable accuracy in the mid range (6s to 8s) and then goes high, telling me that I am at 14 when a finger prick reads 10ish.

For convenience and trending I think it's great but I wish they could do something about the accuracy.

Edge

I tried the libre for about 4 months when I was getting really low about testing all the time and I really loved it. Just a couple of niggles if you catch it on something and comes off then thats £50 odd down the drain. Also DVLA require a finger prick test so if you are on insulin and drive you still need test strips. You can get the stips for the Libre but I just figued for me pointless if I still have to test as normal.

Did you find it helped with improving your control overall Frazerl? One thing that libre has highlighted (and I check with a finger prick when neck) was that I seem to have the odd day where I can have same breakfast as anothe day, do same insulin, one day perfect, another day it’s as if I never did a jab of fast acting. I don’t think there is a problem with my nova pen 5 so trying to discover how that has happened twice in. Week.

know I need to finger prick also, but I like the fact I could use the libre a lot more often. (Between times) and hopefully I will not knock it off (seems it would need a good wack)

Edge

I am a new user, currently on my second sensor. Both sensors have exhibited similar behaviour. I have discovered that when it tells me I am at 3.0mmol, I can finger prick and my normal meter reads above 5.0. It seems to correspond with reasonable accuracy in the mid range (6s to 8s) and then goes high, telling me that I am at 14 when a finger prick reads 10ish.

For convenience and trending I think it's great but I wish they could do something about the accuracy.

Actually, I did have my first difference of 2mmol, but otherwise mine has been reasonably accurate. I am keeping most of my readings between 4 and 8 mmol now, with a bit of spiking after eating, but this device has helped me control the spikes a lot better. It’s early days so maybe I will feel different in another few weeks. Time will tell.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In fact i dont think these will be approved at all, considering the very high running cost and the sensor falling off regular, these are just toys, gimmicky things with no real help at all
Personally I find they stick to me like glue - even after two weeks it can take some effort to get the thing off.
I have only knocked one off and that was because I walked into the edge of a big wooden crate and the sharp corner of said wooden crate hit just below the sensor and knocked it off - the stinging on my arm was caused by the big wooden crate - at this point the sensor only had one day left on it anyways so I wasn't really fussed about it.
One sensor I had to remove early because it failed was a complete nightmare to unstick, I think I pulled a whole wodge of skin off in the process - Abbot replaced the sensor for me.
I think it probably depends on your skin type as to whether it sticks very well.
And personally I've found using them very informative for me (means I check my sugars far more than before for a start) and has meant I can get better control (as shown by my latest hbA1c) - far more than a gimmick for some.

Reactions: urbanracer

frazerl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I found it was great for my control as it shows which way you are going and could modify my carb intake and or top up novarapid. I had an issue with Insulin not seeming to work but now I switch injection sites. I now am mainly using legs and backside at the moment which seems to be better for me.

Reactions: Edge

TonyBlue

Hi just had a trial libre and struggling slightly with it but I think it's more me than the libre. Put the sensor on last night.
My bloods glucose is very good normally but wanted to trial the unit while playing golf and over Xmas ideal time I hope.
Glucose results seem to be a lot lower via the libre and is confusing me where it states LO I measure my bloods and they show 5+ which is how I'm feeling.
Early days for me fingers crossed I'm feeling positive about the unit in 14 days time.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi just had a trial libre and struggling slightly with it but I think it's more me than the libre. Put the sensor on last night.
My bloods glucose is very good normally but wanted to trial the unit while playing golf and over Xmas ideal time I hope.
Glucose results seem to be a lot lower via the libre and is confusing me where it states LO I measure my bloods and they show 5+ which is how I'm feeling.
Early days for me fingers crossed I'm feeling positive about the unit in 14 days time.

Some people say that the sensor can take a good while to 'settle down' and so they wear it for 24hrs (or more) before activating it. I don't know how true it really is but I've been doing this from the start as a precaution.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thanks for that. I am thinking of trying the starter pack.

Reactions: urbanracer

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Put mine on 2 days ago, activated this morning first reading - reader said 15, Abbott finger prick 10 and my usual meter 9. So no idea what is right. Really getting fed up and don't think I'll bither anymore, have had 5 sensors now and all at least 2mmol out. It just messes with my head.
Thought this would help over Christmas, now I want to cry.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Put mine on 2 days ago, activated this morning first reading - reader said 15, Abbott finger prick 10 and my usual meter 9. So no idea what is right. Really getting fed up and don't think I'll bither anymore, have had 5 sensors now and all at least 2mmol out. It just messes with my head.
Thought this would help over Christmas, now I want to cry.

Is this your first sensor Diakat?

With standard meter accuracy levels your finger prick blood tests are pretty much in line.

As I indicated above, for me the trending is more useful than the indicated blood glucose level on the Libre. You know whether your on the way up or the way down and can make an adjustment by way of a few carbs or a unit of insulin before you get to the 'HI' or 'LO' readings.

Last edited: