One year after T2 diagnosis

• Thread starter Deleted member 371625
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 371625

A week before Christmas in 2016 I was diagnosed as a T2 in a random blood test when staying overnight in hospital for a routine operation on my knee. I had no symptoms, though I was a tad overweight (BMI 36ish). I had a BG of 18 (FBG 14.1 the following morning) and a HbA1c of 74.
I was sent home with a glucose meter and insulin (6 units, twice a day) and began testing, initially at 6am and 6pm every day and also a couple of hours after some meals. I also began walking every day, a mile or two to begin with though this increased over time. I addition I cut carbs to about 120g/day from about 1500 Cal/day. I cut out puddings, sweets, biscuits etc and cut down on portion sizes of things like bread, spuds, rice, pasta etc.
After 6 weeks I was getting FBG values below 5 with values 2 hours after food never above 7 and usually under 6. At this point I cut out the insulin completely, which had no impact at all on my BG levels. I continued with the same diet, gradually increasing exercise as it became easier and continued losing weight.
I did keep a food diary from diagnosis onwards and published it in this forum, together with BG readings from February onwards
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...orning-and-what-did-you-eat-yesterday.117017/

During the summer my weight reached 154lbs (11st), a total loss of 87 lbs and I decided that this was enough.
I had also had a HbA1c reading of 32 to go with the measurements taken myself.
At this point I gradually increased calories to 2000/day and carbs to about 180/day which have maintained my weight and BG values for several months now. My latest HbA1c, done on 20/12 has arrived in the post today and is 31 so I am pleased with that.

Occasional splurge days when I have had 230ish g of carbs have not caused any problems though I do intend keeping these as rare events. Even these heavy days though I am still well within NHS recommended 300g/day ( which I do think is far too high) and my normal daily intake is well below recommended levels.

If this information can help anyone else I would be very pleased, Whilst I do think that the Eatwell Plate is abject nonsense for diabetics, I also think that for many people a very low carb diet (with or without high fats) is not necessary. It can be seen from my food and exercise diary that it is possible to achieve excellent results eating fairly normal foods, just taking care not to overdo the carbs and ensuring that plenty of exercise is done.

Happy new year and good luck to all.

brianmt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fantastic read, very encouraging. Over the xmas period I have "upped" my carb intake and have had no adverse effects, except for a turkey white bread sandwich ( now I think it was the cranberry sauce) and a small piece of xmas cake.. I have closely monitored everything I've eaten via a Libre. I've only had the 2 spikes, small piece of xmas cake with icing 8.8 and the turkey sandwich 8.9 both were back to 5.8 within 2 hours . If I'd been pricking my fingers I would not have even seen these spikes. I'm back on the wagon, carb wise now, but I'm very encouraged.
I went out and bought a 6 pack of mince pies on xmas eve as a treat. Had one on xmas eve with cream and one yesterday evening and didn't really enjoy either, far too sweet. Anyway there are 4 left in the box and will probably end up as food for the birds, I won't be eating them

D

Deleted member 371625

Fantastic read, very encouraging. Over the xmas period I have "upped" my carb intake and have had no adverse effects, except for a turkey white bread sandwich ( now I think it was the cranberry sauce) and a small piece of xmas cake.. I have closely monitored everything I've eaten via a Libre. I've only had the 2 spikes, small piece of xmas cake with icing 8.8 and the turkey sandwich 8.9 both were back to 5.8 within 2 hours . If I'd been pricking my fingers I would not have even seen these spikes. I'm back on the wagon, carb wise now, but I'm very encouraged.
I went out and bought a 6 pack of mince pies on xmas eve as a treat. Had one on xmas eve with cream and one yesterday evening and didn't really enjoy either, far too sweet. Anyway there are 4 left in the box and will probably end up as food for the birds, I won't be eating them
I have xmas cake (home made so less sugar) without icing or marzipan, but with Lancashire or Wensleydale cheese instead. The cake is almost entirely dried fruit so not too bad at all, the sugar is in the icing and marzipan which I find too sweet now. Mince pies too I make at home with far less sugar than any recipe suggests. I find that I am very sensitive to sugar now, even 90% chocolate which most people find very bitter is quite sweet to me.

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is really useful information, thanks! Even though I know we’re all different I’ve still been wondering about other people’s carb intake seeing as I’m currently trying (without a meter to help!) a max 100 carbs a day and have been slightly panicky when seeing much lower amounts in other people. That amount worked in the past and earlier this year so fingers crossed it still does

And congratulations on your results! That is awesome!

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If one can cope with more carbs and still keep good glucose the one thing I would recommend before you relax completely is that you get your fasting insulin checked if that is also under 5 then well done you . If it's above 8 it's sign that your insulin is working overtime to keep the glucose in check. That is putting strain on your body that it doesn't need.
You may find all is well if the insulin is too high then you have an easy fix !

D

Deleted member 371625

If one can cope with more carbs and still keep good glucose the one thing I would recommend before you relax completely is that you get your fasting insulin checked if that is also under 5 then well done you . If it's above 8 it's sign that your insulin is working overtime to keep the glucose in check. That is putting strain on your body that it doesn't need.
You may find all is well if the insulin is too high then you have an easy fix !

I haven't had insulin checked but have no reason to. Hyperinsulinemia is extremely closely linked with obesity and is characterised by excess adiposal fat around the waist. As I have no significant central fat anymore, and found it very easy to lose weight it is vanishingly unlikely that this would be a problem and there is no reason to suggest that it might be as I no longer have any markers for metabolic syndrome.
One reason why I posted the facts behind my successful reduction in BG together with weight loss and ability to eat a fairly standard diet when combined with exercise is because there appears to be a fetish with LCHF on this forum. It is not the only way to deal with T2D and it would be useful for people to realise this. Many people diagnosed with T2D are already very overweight with high cholesterol and increasing the amount of saturated fat consumed may (only may) cause additional health problems.
I expect to receive some abuse for this post as that appears to be the standard response to anyone suggesting that LCHF is not the only way to deal with this condition.

Reactions: meandmaboy

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@midnightrider

If anyone ever sees ‘abuse’ on this forum, then the correct thing to do is to report it immediately so that the moderators can deal with it appropriately.

On the other hand, if people wish to express their opinions politely and in the spirit of healthy debate (as you did in your original post, but less so in your last) then everyone is welcome to do that too.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Well done on reversing your condition. You have exercised your right to put forward a protocol that has worked wonders.

I find the friendly advice to perhaps get insulin tested reasonable. I am going to get mine done next June with a full bloods my DB nurse agreed to on Thursday.

I disagree with a couple of points you have made. It is my opinion that LCHF is a reasonable protocol, as it just is a removal of the excessive triglyceride causing foods dominating food choices, modern choices are mainly over processed and in the time humans have been around account for just a days existence, so new. I did the Eatwell guide, no sugar in tea, coffee, 4 fizzy drinks a year, lots of orange juice, sweet fruits, no white bread, home made white flour pancakes with fresh lemon, oats made with milk etc, I was TOFI looking but ended up with a 134 HbA1c. 52% of Americans are pre or diabetic as an example of the Eatwell equivalent and the obesity figures in children and adults is nothing but epedemic. I will stick my neck out and and say if the entire world turned over night to LCHF the outcomes would be classed as a modern miracle - just an opinion.

As for cholesterol, the majority of success stories I have read have stated excellent lipids on LCHF, those that have an increase in LDL are in the minority, and often the trig to hdl is improved; the diet heart hypothesy for me has been comprehensively taken apart and definitely in my n=1 scenario on my numbers.

Happy for you though.

Edited to improve some typos.

Last edited:

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't had insulin checked but have no reason to. Hyperinsulinemia is extremely closely linked with obesity and is characterised by excess adiposal fat around the waist. As I have no significant central fat anymore, and found it very easy to lose weight it is vanishingly unlikely that this would be a problem and there is no reason to suggest that it might be as I no longer have any markers for metabolic syndrome.
One reason why I posted the facts behind my successful reduction in BG together with weight loss and ability to eat a fairly standard diet when combined with exercise is because there appears to be a fetish with LCHF on this forum. It is not the only way to deal with T2D and it would be useful for people to realise this. Many people diagnosed with T2D are already very overweight with high cholesterol and increasing the amount of saturated fat consumed may (only may) cause additional health problems.
I expect to receive some abuse for this post as that appears to be the standard response to anyone suggesting that LCHF is not the only way to deal with this condition.

I have no idea why you would be expecting abuse. Anyone who achieves great success by whatever means is to be deservedly congratulated.

My own opinion is that LCHF is a "name" is simply something which could better be described as generally eating mainly natural foods with a very low refined foods/ omega 6 seed oil content- As such many actual diets fit that description with sightly different total carbs depending on personal tolerances.

I have no idea why you would think that high cholesterol is a function of saturated fat, or indeed unhealthy, the science pretty much refutes that whilst at the same time implicating both high carbohydrate diets and high polyunsaturated fat diets . The standard diet is about 55%-60% carbohydrates including many refined carbs and has a high omega 6 content. If you can truly eat both of these and remain very healthy then you are in a minority of the population and that is great for you.
As far as fasting insulin is concerned - given that it predates diabetes many years before diabetes diagnosis and is also a marker for cancer, cvd, alzheimers etc ( without time scale attached) then a general understanding that getting it checked now and again for everyone might be a good idea was merely intended to be helpful.
Congratulations on your excellent health, long may it continue 1

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A week before Christmas in 2016 I was diagnosed as a T2 in a random blood test when staying overnight in hospital for a routine operation on my knee. I had no symptoms, though I was a tad overweight (BMI 36ish). I had a BG of 18 (FBG 14.1 the following morning) and a HbA1c of 74.
I was sent home with a glucose meter and insulin (6 units, twice a day) and began testing, initially at 6am and 6pm every day and also a couple of hours after some meals. I also began walking every day, a mile or two to begin with though this increased over time. I addition I cut carbs to about 120g/day from about 1500 Cal/day. I cut out puddings, sweets, biscuits etc and cut down on portion sizes of things like bread, spuds, rice, pasta etc.
After 6 weeks I was getting FBG values below 5 with values 2 hours after food never above 7 and usually under 6. At this point I cut out the insulin completely, which had no impact at all on my BG levels. I continued with the same diet, gradually increasing exercise as it became easier and continued losing weight.
I did keep a food diary from diagnosis onwards and published it in this forum, together with BG readings from February onwards
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...orning-and-what-did-you-eat-yesterday.117017/

During the summer my weight reached 154lbs (11st), a total loss of 87 lbs and I decided that this was enough.
I had also had a HbA1c reading of 32 to go with the measurements taken myself.
At this point I gradually increased calories to 2000/day and carbs to about 180/day which have maintained my weight and BG values for several months now. My latest HbA1c, done on 20/12 has arrived in the post today and is 31 so I am pleased with that.

Occasional splurge days when I have had 230ish g of carbs have not caused any problems though I do intend keeping these as rare events. Even these heavy days though I am still well within NHS recommended 300g/day ( which I do think is far too high) and my normal daily intake is well below recommended levels.

If this information can help anyone else I would be very pleased, Whilst I do think that the Eatwell Plate is abject nonsense for diabetics, I also think that for many people a very low carb diet (with or without high fats) is not necessary. It can be seen from my food and exercise diary that it is possible to achieve excellent results eating fairly normal foods, just taking care not to overdo the carbs and ensuring that plenty of exercise is done.

Happy new year and good luck to all.

Happy New Year to you too!

I’d like to know what sort of carbs did you eat and the portion sizes please?

Could you please message me privately?

Andrew

waterlily2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks midnightrider for your post, I find it quite inspiring as I now find myself in same position, I was diagnosed T2 week before Xmas 2017 and have been avidly reading forum for advice. Having had same NHS advice as most on here, I’m now convinced to go down low carb route. Found it difficult over festive period but I’ve invested in a blood glucose meter and after New Year’s Day dinner, tomorrow starts a new dawn. Really hope it works.

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!

@midnightrider i am now a very infrequent visitor here for a number or reasons, however I absolutely applaud your journey to date - well done a fantastic effort. My own journey is not dis-similar to yours however my 'starting number' was significantly higher and mine has thankfully never involved ANY medication (to date). Some 18 months in, I no longer consider that I have diabetes (according to my 'numbers') .... but know one day I probably will - again (probably my way of handling it in my mind), but for now just enjoying an incredibly healthy and very fit way of living ..... In which I still enjoy (guilt free) some lovely treats - just as many do!

I completely agree with your sentiment quoted above, and my journey has also been a mix of carb caution, (not complete puritanical abstinence), and a sensible diet combined with a new lust for sport and physical activity. I do however acknowledge that these views are perhaps at odds with most that do frequent here.

I wish you the very very best with your continued journey, a most remarkable outcome to date.

H