Why do some T2’s need insulin?

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was wondering why some T2 diabetics need insulin? Is it because it progresses or is it because some people we diagnosed at extremely high levels? Will all T2 diabetics need insulin at some point?

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can be various things including things like progressive damage to beta cells in the pancreas, initial mis diagnosis, further metabolic dysregulation as part of the aging process, or diet related.
Im 21 years post diagnosis and not on insulin so dont see it as an inevitable progression, but its certainly got harder over the years,

Reactions: dbr10

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My uncle was put onto insulin after several.years of being t2d. He has now been rediagnosed as t1d. I have no idea if he was misdiagnosed or has something else going on. There is a lot that we do not knw about diabetes!

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can be various things including things like progressive damage to beta cells in the pancreas, initial mis diagnosis, further metabolic dysregulation as part of the aging process, or diet related.
Im 21 years post diagnosis and not on insulin so dont see it as an inevitable progression, but its certainly got harder over the years,

Harder how? Are you on any medication or diet alone? I am Diet only as long as I can keep around the 48 mark on a1c - I was 51 last test but only as I gained half a stone after giving up smoking so the nurse didn’t seem too concerned as long as I got back on track for he next test - I really don’t want to take tablets if I can help it.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Harder how? Are you on any medication or diet alone? I am Diet only as long as I can keep around the 48 mark on a1c - I was 51 last test but only as I gained half a stone after giving up smoking so the nurse didn’t seem too concerned as long as I got back on track for he next test - I really don’t want to take tablets if I can help it.
Harder in terms of keeping my dose of meds stable and not escalating. Ive been on Gliclizide for 21 years and have managed to stay on a stable dose and keep my hba1c in the 40-46 range but Ive had to keep reducing carbs alongside the meds so I currently average around 30/35g daily - below that I get ill, above 50/60 my sugars go awry

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Congrats on giving up smoking - that is so important for a diabetic and I agree with the nurse.

Reactions: dbr10 and MKD75

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Both my mum and uncle are type two's both are on insulin. My GP thinks I'll be on insulin by the Summer.
Not every type two ends up on insulin.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It can be due to progressive pancreatic damage after many years of very high blood sugar. It can also be the result of initial mis-diagnosis of T1 as T2 which is very common (see recent press articles). T2 won't normally progress to needing insulin if the initial diagnosis is correctly T2 (probably with excess weight and hence insulin resistance) and a low-carb diet is followed.

bluemoonofky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
Why are you now on insulin? We’re the tablets not working? What were your BG or a1c levels?

The tablets never worked well in controlling my blood sugar. My blood sugars were always way too high, sometimes going to 500 or higher. I’m on Aprida that goes in my pump now.

B r e e

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Those of you who are Type 2 that were put on insulin did you begin with basal or bolus insulin?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
High insulin resistance is the reason for tablets not controlling my bgs. Even on 30g carb and severe palpatations I still need insulin. A few tablets I'm intolerate too. Metformin too but I increase and decease it to help with hormones and weight gain.

Reactions: bluemoonofky