Personal safety and security when using the forum.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From time to time, on a forum such as this, an unfortunate set of circumstances or actions arises, giving one or more members concerns. Examples of what might happen might be an inappropriate attachment from one member to another, suggestions to go off-site to one-to-one contact within, say, WhatsApp, Facetime or Messenger. Other examples would be for the sort of scamming activity we might see on TV; perhaps individuals looking to raise funds for “medications/treatments/emergency repatriations” - just as examples.

I am sure we are all familiar with those “Foreign Prince” email scams that encourage us to part with our money, but it is less easy to spot a clever bit of manipulation on a forum – especially one populated by fellow travellers along a sometimes tricky diabetes path. We have a natural “me too” response to much we read.

So please remember that we only have each other's posts to go on, for everything we know about our fellow posters. DCUK have a system of checks and an active moderation team, but while it may be easy to spot a scam email, it can be less easy to spot a dishonest poster. Sometimes someone may post on the forum with the goal of extracting money, whether by promoting products, encouraging Private Messages or by a sob story.

Should you ever find yourself on the uncomfortable end of any of those circumstances, or indeed something else, please hit the Report Button, immediately. The Report button is located under every post, and every Private Message conversation entry. Please check that you know where the button is. Alternatively, email [email protected] to express your concerns.

Any such concerns will be thoroughly investigated, and where necessary, actions taken.

Raising a Report or emailing your concerns is not telling tales. It is playing your personal part in the safe and happy running of DCUK and a valuable feedback loop into the site Management/Admin Teams.

The safety, security and privacy of our members is paramount to us at DCUK, and we do need your assistance to ensure, where at all possible, any undesirable behaviour or actions are prevented or nipped in the bud.

Many thanks for reading.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Agreed. Maybe this, or something like it, could be put in the 'sticky' sections, where appropriate, and a link in daisy1's advice for new members. (haven't checked whether it is already in those places - could have egg on my face here ........ so what's new, hehe)

Reactions: Ceebee2 and Pipp

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
I have Asperger Syndrome which is an autism spectrum condition and a full diagnosis of Adult ADHD which are characterised by impairments in social communication, social interaction and social imagination. I also have a rigid and somewhat unpredictable routine. I also experience obsessive rituals, some a bit overwhelming. But I have a talent in articulate creative writing skills and possess a photographic rote memory. I have sensory sensitivity and get upset by loud noises, bright colours or lights, and notice the texture and consistency of certain foods more making my dietary choices extremely limited or restricted to certain food components. I dislike conflict and lies. The Adult ADHD also makes me very moody and cross.
@tina_marie had you seen this?
@JohnnyBaker12021970 read this and any concerns PM us if you need support and let @DCUKMod immediately via report button on any begging PMs or email [email protected] hun.
Thank you very much, @ickihun, my lovely friend, for the advanced warning and from the @DCUKMod . With the vulnerability in my autism spectrum disorder, I can be very gullible and non-discerning as the consultant psychiatrist at the ADHD and Autism Service observed in my ASD assessment. A lot of my posts are very detailed and specifically honest and I tend to give too much away. I'll try to just post diabetes-related posts to the open forum and keep personalised posts to PMs only. God bless you and the @DCUKMod 's thoughtfulness, @ickihun.

Reactions: porl69 and ickihun

Judy1887

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DCUKMod Thank you so much for the post... Being a new member here, this is very important post...

mod edit: fixed @ address

Last edited by a moderator:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod Thank you so much for the post... Being a new member here, this is very important post...

mod edit: fixed @ address

@Judy1887 - Welcome to the forum. Just a quickie.

You might like to have a little look at your profile. It suggests you are T1, but taking tablets?

To adjust your profile, hove over your user name at the top of this page, then click on Personal Details. When there, scroll down to both "Diabetes Type", then below that, "Treatment Type".

That'll just help members respond to you appropriately, and hamper any confusing enquiries.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Message received and understood.
Thank you

Tony

Reactions: ickihun

TTTE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes (but I may learn to love it)
Thanks for the great information

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Since it has been mentioned, bump! :)

Rockman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nothing to be honest
Thank you for the information

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am kind of uncomfortable that in addition to individuals, there are often somewhere near 50 robots on the forum collecting data. Is there some way you could block bots from the Forum?

Not all bots are undesirable Contralto. Those decisions are not mine to make.