Pilates or Yoga

hughinoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys

An interested taking up more activities to help my Condition.

Which do think is best Pilates or Yoga?

I have checked forum but all I could see was benefits of each. Is one better than the other? TIA

Reactions: shelley262

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Either would be good.
Pilates is relatively new - only developed in the early 20th century I think, Yoga has been around for a bit longer. I have done a little yoga and the main thrust of the type I did was flexibility, stretching. I used to do a lot of marital arts and this helped.

I have not done Pilates but it appears to be about balance and muscle toning rather than strength. A lot of people say it helps with Core strength and balance.

Other alternatives - Tai Chi, Walking, swimming. Walking is good, a lot better for you than most people realise and its VERY cheap

hughinoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks. I'm trying to walk more but scottish winters don't wanna co-operate lol. I go the gym but feel yoga class mite be beneficial after day at office.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The one you are most likely to keep doing! Therefore I think it mostly comes down to location, time, and how much you like the other people in the group.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys

I have checked forum but all I could see was benefits of each. Is one better than the other? TIA
Hi my votes for Pilates as I do it every week and really helps you lose weight around the middle started last summer alongside my new way of eating. But sure both are good and as others have said it depends which class is easiest to get to. My Pilates class was at a time,place and price that suited me. Also ask about level as not all classes are suitable for beginners. Personally I love pilates and won’t give it up love my new middle too much!

Reactions: EllieM

Mark_1

Depends on the teacher the environment the other people attending. I’d do both for a few weeks and stick with the one you like best or even carry on with both.

Reactions: EllieM and Books1

hughinoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone. I will try yoga as can't afford to try both & keep my gym membership.

Can someone tell me which yoga best to avoid affecting BG levels???

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi guys

I would choose Pilates of the 2, due to the core positioning and central focus. Even the induction was hard if you are taught correctly.

Reactions: Seeps

Jemzor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If it is to help your condition, I would simply opt for the one that you enjoy the most as they will both contribute towards your goal :)

I would say you really only need to consider the benefits of one versus the other if you have specific requirements - like improving core strength as mentioned above.

Reactions: Seeps

Reeker

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Insulin
It is a pretty hard choice because these two don’t have the same purpose. The pilates is for sweating and cardio while the yoga is a way of getting relaxed and escaping from all your daily routine and bad thoughts.

XxTinkerxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude & condescending people. I will call you out on it.
It is a pretty hard choice because these two don’t have the same purpose. The pilates is for sweating and cardio while the yoga is a way of getting relaxed and escaping from all your daily routine and bad thoughts.
I have been doing Pilates for over 8 years and I can assure you it is not for sweating and cardio. Most of the work is based around building up your core strength, stretching and overall toning.

OP I'd say try both and see which one you prefer. I have tried yoga and didn't like it, plus there are many types of yoga which makes it difficult to choose unless you try them all!

Reactions: Ceppo and jonnyll44

kennyk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i started Yoga during lockdown (online) and now wouldn't stop, or pay for gym again i think. I've personally never tried Pilates though i think it looks excellent too.
For me i think Yoga really helps actually, especially for strength, balance and flexibility. Something like 'Yoga with Charli' - but if you search there are a lot online. I prefer a live online class over streaming so that i'll actually do it. I'm quite new and so working out how it affects my sugars, but it seems good. I do Vinyasa flow and find that it's challenging but doable (beginners class that is :) )

jonnyll44

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Like a few of you I have done both and like both but would choose Pilates, Found a lot of Yoga exercises/poses are sometimes quite long..they are significantly shorter with pilates which suits me fine. Both good and they have a lot of exercises in common. Costs of classes are similar too.

AlbertoLaidlaw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Having done both Pilates gets my vote. Currently do it on line which is helpful.

gardener612

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys

If you have to choose, yoga is more well rounded as it provides benefits for strength, balance, flexibility and also stress reduction. I do it everyday and it makes a world of difference in my life. However, I would try both and see which one appeals to you more. Like someone else said, do something that you'll make a regular part of your life. If you can't decide, why not do each one every week or alternate days?

Reactions: EllieM

TraceyW

Type of diabetes
Carer
I started Pilates a 18 months ago, a weekly class. During lockdown our teacher started doing daily classes on Zoom and now I do it every day. I put on a lot of weight during the first lockdown am now steadily losing that weight. It is a very good class as she provides lower options. Some ladies in the classes are in their 70's and 80's as well as youngsters. I would be wary about trying Pilates classes on YouTube - the US instructors are very intense and it is too much and will put you off. Try beginners. Pilates is also good, obviously for strengthening core and lungs too - the breathing is important. I feel if I did get Covid my investment in Pilates will help me combat it. We also use equipment 1kg weights, ball and resistance band. My body is now a lot more flexible as Pilates does overlap with some Yoga stretches e.g. bridge, downward dog, child's pose, happy baby etc. There is some cardio in Pilates but not too much, not like a cardio session. Our teacher is very good and varies it enormously e.g. barre work, strength and tone, circuits even did a couple of relaxation yoga type ones the other week. I did try yoga but I much prefer Pilates.

If you are interested in joining Google Forever-Fit Pilates in YouTube as there are a few recordings.

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pilates was developed to rehabilitate injured soldiers in the 20th century whilst yoga was developed several centuries ago and has been developing ever since. Yoga started as a spiritual exercise and a help to meditation. Tai Chi began as a martial art again several centuries ago and has developed steadily. I have tried all tree and my choice would be Tai Chi but my knee cartilages won't let me. My second choice is yoga and I would suggest that one of the older forms is picked to start with it will give you basic asanas and you can move to more modern branches as you wish. Having said all that the exercise you enjoy will be the one you continue with but try them all.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks. I'm trying to walk more but scottish winters don't wanna co-operate lol. I go the gym but feel yoga class mite be beneficial after day at office.
Pilates isn't that new but got trendier. Was originally designed to keep ballet dancers strong and injury free. I teach it and I'd concur with others here that the best exercise is the one you enjoy doing whether that is the movement itself, the bunch of people you do it with and/or an inspiring teacher whether its yoga or Pilates.
I am a trainer and advise diabetics a) get moving in your everyday life - stairs, walking b) do some work to build or sustain muscles e.g. squats, push ups, step ups adding in some weight or resistance when you can (dumb bells, machines or bands). The diet still makes the biggest difference though!
Having more muscular strength also correlates with a longer healthier and a more independent life!

I also help run a Walking for Health diabetes group which helps members be social and keep a consistent fitness habit going. It counts as an outdoor activity so we are allowed to continue this activity in well spaced groups!

Gerds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfairness
I think just anything that makes you move is great. Trying to build new muscle helps with soaking in the Blood sugar. New mitochondria. I agree that whatever you enjoy and can afford in the long term. I took up ballet dance this year at 65 lol! Can't believe how much I love it! Have done yoga and Pilates over the years too.

Reactions: Hezzal