1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Arrived here after watching The Truth About Carbs? Join the Low Carb Program for meal plans & 10 weeks of simple steps into your new lifestyle
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Pilates or Yoga

Discussion in 'Fitness, Exercise and Sport' started by hughinoo, Jan 11, 2018.

1. hughinoo

hughinoo Type 2 · Member

Hi guys

An interested taking up more activities to help my Condition.

Which do think is best Pilates or Yoga?

I have checked forum but all I could see was benefits of each. Is one better than the other? TIA

• Like Like x 1
  2. ixi1429

ixi1429 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Either would be good.
    Pilates is relatively new - only developed in the early 20th century I think, Yoga has been around for a bit longer. I have done a little yoga and the main thrust of the type I did was flexibility, stretching. I used to do a lot of marital arts and this helped.

I have not done Pilates but it appears to be about balance and muscle toning rather than strength. A lot of people say it helps with Core strength and balance.

Other alternatives - Tai Chi, Walking, swimming. Walking is good, a lot better for you than most people realise and its VERY cheap

3. hughinoo

hughinoo Type 2 · Member

Thanks. I'm trying to walk more but scottish winters don't wanna co-operate lol. I go the gym but feel yoga class mite be beneficial after day at office.

4. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The one you are most likely to keep doing! Therefore I think it mostly comes down to location, time, and how much you like the other people in the group.

5. shelley262

shelley262 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi my votes for Pilates as I do it every week and really helps you lose weight around the middle started last summer alongside my new way of eating. But sure both are good and as others have said it depends which class is easiest to get to. My Pilates class was at a time,place and price that suited me. Also ask about level as not all classes are suitable for beginners. Personally I love pilates and won’t give it up love my new middle too much!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mark_1

Mark_1 · Well-Known Member

Depends on the teacher the environment the other people attending. I’d do both for a few weeks and stick with the one you like best or even carry on with both.

• Like Like x 1
  7. hughinoo

hughinoo Type 2 · Member

Thanks everyone. I will try yoga as can't afford to try both & keep my gym membership.

Can someone tell me which yoga best to avoid affecting BG levels???

8. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I would choose Pilates of the 2, due to the core positioning and central focus. Even the induction was hard if you are taught correctly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jemzor

Jemzor Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If it is to help your condition, I would simply opt for the one that you enjoy the most as they will both contribute towards your goal :)

I would say you really only need to consider the benefits of one versus the other if you have specific requirements - like improving core strength as mentioned above.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook