Spiking on Fruits !!!

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve lived in the Philippines and the tropical fruits are just absolutely beautiful, fragrant and delicious!

Shame but I’ll stick with the berries.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have some heritage apple trees in my garden and the fruit from them doesnt spike me. Maybe choose an old-fashioned apple next time if possible?

Reactions: JohnEGreen

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat an apple and 3 weetbix (with peanut butter) for breakfast, makes a good meal in my opinion. If you wanted to try apple again, you could try doing some exercise either before or after breakfast to help with the spike.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The sweet tropical fruits are just as bad...

Pineapple, mango, papaya, rambutan, Durian, longan, chikoo, caimito, star apple, custard apple, java plum, longkong, lanzones, red banana, dwarf banana, atis, guava etc.

Anyway I can have them all in the after life!

Lol!!!

I spend Tim in athe atropics, where many of those fruits grow or are farmed. My blood sugar reactions differed (after diagnosis) whether I was eating tropical fruits in situ, or whether they had hefty air/sea miles under their belt. The fewer miles the better.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat an apple and 3 weetbix (with peanut butter) for breakfast, makes a good meal in my opinion. If you wanted to try apple again, you could try doing some exercise either before or after breakfast to help with the spike.
Weetabix are very high in carbs, though as a T1 you may be able to compensate, but for many, though not all T2s they'll elevate BS considerably.
upload_2018-1-17_23-13-43.png

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I can eat a small apple with cheese and salad for lunch with no spike, but if I eat one on its own during the evening, I get a higher than normal fasting BS the next day. Same with pears

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You’re absolutely right.

Eating a fruit has to be accompanied with full fat cream or yogurt to slow down digestion and absorption.

Never eat fruit on its own.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You’re absolutely right.

Eating a fruit has to be accompanied with full fat cream or yogurt to slow down digestion and absorption.

Never eat fruit on its own.

But you’ve just said you ate an apple on its own for breakfast?

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did so it won’t happen again

Apologies, I’m confused. If you know that it’s best not to eat fruit without some fat, why did you eat it on its own?

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Apologies, I’m confused. If you know that it’s best not to eat fruit without some fat, why did you eat it on its own?

I didn’t have a clue that it would spike me.

I used to eat a lot of fruit in my previous life but now being diabetic has made me realise I need to watch out for every piece of food on my plate!

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I didn’t have a clue that it would spike me.

I used to eat a lot of fruit in my previous life but now being diabetic has made me realise I need to watch out for every piece of food on my plate!

But then you said that fruit should never be eaten on its own and gave advice to eat it with cream or yoghurt. If you knew that, why did you eat an apple on its own?

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But then you said that fruit should never be eaten on its own and gave advice to eat it with cream or yoghurt. If you knew that, why did you eat an apple on its own?

I said I didn’t know

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ll leave it there then, I must be reading your posts incorrectly.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ll leave it there then, I must be reading your posts incorrectly.
I think @NewTD2 is saying that he didnt know, so ate the naked fruit, but now he knows what spiked him and why, so he wont do it again, and is advising everyone else to not eat naked fruit either.

I think...........................

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes but you're a T1 and can manage your carbs and glucodse levels with insulin, many T2s are diet controlled so have to manage theirs by avoiding high carb spikey foods. That's a huge difference in how we have to deal with these things...

Robbity

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
@NewTD2

The general advice is to eat fruit as part of a meal with cream or yogurt, and not as a stand alone snack. Also, fruit in the morning can be difficult. It is certainly a no-no for me. A pear may be just as bad as an apple. It is wise to stick to a couple of strawberries or half a dozen raspberries - but best later in the day.
I am doing something right then. I eat my berries of an evening with cream,never on their own and they do not spike me

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I can eat a small apple with cheese and salad for lunch with no spike, but if I eat one on its own during the evening, I get a higher than normal fasting BS the next day. Same with pears
Same here I ate a red apple around a month ago with cheese and I was fine also

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In the US, 5 oz avo is 12 carbs. UK 3 with fiber deducted. In MY body it’s 12.
I eat 1/3 with each meal as it does act like a carb but also a fat and fiber. So when eaten with protein it slows the protein and the protein slows the carbs. I only eat a little with bf and always with some protein. Without protein it acts like a carb. With protein it’s a perfect marriage

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes but you're a T1 and can manage your carbs and glucodse levels with insulin, many T2s are diet controlled so have to manage theirs by avoiding high carb spikey foods. That's a huge difference in how we have to deal with these things...

Robbity

Exercise is a useful technique for managing spikes for both T1 and T2. In fact it is more useful for T2 since they don't have to worry about hypos. Many people were suggesting that the OP stop eating the carby food, I was just trying to suggest a way to manage his numbers while still being able to have his preferred breakfast.