Spiking on Fruits !!!

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a small red apple yesterday and this morning I had a small avocado for breakfast.

Apple
Bg before breakfast: 5.1
2 hours later: 8.0

Avocado
Bg before breakfast: 5.2
2 hours later: 7.6

Absolute nightmare for me!

Have you had similar experiences?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You are eating fruit early in the day - perhaps you could try eating it after dinner - that is the only way I can eat it. In the mornings I can eat a tomato or a sweet pepper/mushroom/courgette stir fry with some eggs or other protein, but something as sugary as an apple is not going to work for me.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are eating fruit early in the day - perhaps you could try eating it after dinner - that is the only way I can eat it. In the mornings I can eat a tomato or a sweet pepper/mushroom/courgette stir fry with some eggs or other protein, but something as sugary as an apple is not going to work for me.

I think I should try a small hard pear instead !

Reactions: Arlmy

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Try lower carbs fruit, there are many lower in carbs than apple.
upload_2018-1-17_20-13-50.png

Reactions: Mandi05

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was going to ask the same thing... I think in general fruits should be eaten as part of a meal rather than on their own. But I must admit that while apples are on the maybe/maybe not list for many people, I'm a little surprised at the oily avodcado! @Kristin251 is our avocado queen perhaps she could comment?

Robbity

ETA Something else to be aware of: apples are both fairly high in carbs and in fructose, so a double whammy...

Last edited:

Hotpepper20000

I was going to ask the same thing... I think in general fruits should be eaten as part of a meal rather than on their own. But I must admit that while apples are on the maybe/maybe not list for many people, I'm a little surprised at the oily avodcado! @Kristin251 is our avocado queen perhaps she could comment?

Robbity

ETA Something else to be aware of: apples are both fairly high in carbs and in fructose, so a double whammy...
I find the type of apple makes a difference as well. A small apple from my tree has little affect when I eat it as part of a meal.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@NewTD2

The general advice is to eat fruit as part of a meal with cream or yogurt, and not as a stand alone snack. Also, fruit in the morning can be difficult. It is certainly a no-no for me. A pear may be just as bad as an apple. It is wise to stick to a couple of strawberries or half a dozen raspberries - but best later in the day.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a small red apple yesterday and this morning I had a small avocado for breakfast.

Apple

Avocado

It’s hardly a nightmare! I find it hard to believe that a small avocado raised you two points though, what else did you have?

Now you know what apples do to you, you know what your choices are. Are they on the dietdoctor list that you like?

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Apple

Avocado

You may find that your spike has nothing at all to do with the food. May people get a morning liver dump. My own glucose can go from 4.9 to as much as 8 breifly around breakfast time - but its got nothing to do with the food. same thing happens if I do or don't eat, I just get a liver dump. In the end there are only so many things you can worry about. Try doing the same tests but with no food at all just to see, after that - maybe stick to having the fruit in the evenings with some cream .

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@CherryAA beat me to it.

You may experience a morning liver dump.
Try mapping what happens to your blood glucose without any breakfast at all.
And fruit for breakfast (by itself) is probably an unsuitable choice for a T2...

I also agree that it isn’t a nightmare.
Just treat it as a learning experience. No more, no less.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you very much all for your feedback and sound advice.

I’ll stick with the berries ie raspberries, blackberries and strawberries (except blueberries)!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try lower carbs fruit, there are many lower in carbs than apple.
View attachment 24959
Hi @miahara
What is the source of that info, please?

I have avoided much fruit in my lower carb lifestyle, sticking mainly to berries, especially blueberries, as the frozen ones are very convenient for breakfast with full fat yogurt. Your info has given me the idea that I could try the fruits, which according to the chart, have similar sugar content to blueberries.

I guess this illustrates the need for each of us to test for our own individual response to various foods, which I confess I have been a bit lazy about lately.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @miahara

I have avoided much fruit in my lower carb lifestyle, sticking mainly to berries, especially blueberries, as the frozen ones are very convenient for breakfast with full fat yogurt. Your info has given me the idea that I could try the fruits, which according to the chart, have similar sugar content to blueberries.

I guess this illustrates the need for each of us to test for our own individual response to various foods, which I confess I have been a bit lazy about lately.

Perhaps also take account of the amount of insulin production various fruits will trigger
https://public.tableau.com/profile/christoffer.green#!/vizhome/InsulinogenicFoodData/Dashboard1

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The sweet tropical fruits are just as bad...

Pineapple, mango, papaya, rambutan, Durian, longan, chikoo, caimito, star apple, custard apple, java plum, longkong, lanzones, red banana, dwarf banana, atis, guava etc.

Anyway I can have them all in the after life!

Lol!!!

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @miahara

I can't remember exactly where I got the original data from Pipp, but it was in an illustration showing carbs in fruit that I then put into an Excel spreadsheet to make the graph. I think I also used data from the Compostion Of Foods Integrated Dataset (Google it) which is about as good as you'll get as far as dietary data goes. The info on the graph may not be exactly accurate, but is pretty well as close as you'll get and does give a very good indication of relative values.
I do eat blueberries - we grow them, but I limit my consumption!

Dave

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I think I should try a small hard pear instead
The sweet tropical fruits are just as bad...

Pineapple, mango, papaya, rambutan, Durian, longan, chikoo, caimito, star apple, custard apple, java plum, longkong, lanzones, red banana, dwarf banana, atis, guava etc.

Anyway I can have them all in the after life!

Lol!!!
You can have them in this life you just have to budget for them in your carb allowance and figure out just what to give up so you can have one. Decisions Decisions Decisions

Reactions: oh_dear_me