Fluctuating symptoms

Fluffy12

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Have gone to a new gp and she seems to agree with the doctor with the fact that my HBA1c is normal!!(HBA1C of 50)
The last few days have been alright and I have not been feeling as thirsty as usual but I am always getting headaches and constantly feeling hungry. To add to that...if I do drink I seem to get thirstier than before but not as bad as last week.
Just been so wondering if I should still worry about it as some days the symptoms are terrible and I feel very fatigued but other days I feel ok but still slightly off

Thank you❤❤

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Here Hba1c of 50 is diabetic - not prediabetic, but diabetic.
If your doctor thinks that is normal either the guidelines are different, or something strange is going on.

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
With diabetes there are 2 main types of measurement: HBA1c readings and blood glucose readings (BG). The HBA1c reading is used to indicate long term damage due to blood glucose being constantly high for months yours is slightly high and is at the start of diabetes range. For day to day management of diabetes however it’s the BG reading that’s of interest.

You’ve described two symptoms of a high BG reading: thirst and headache but the give away symptom of a high BG is usually a constant need to pee.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with the others your HbA1c shows your diabetic. You have symptoms of high blood glucose.
Please see a different dr and don't be fobbed off.
Hope you feel better very soon

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It is definitely diabetic, not prediabetic. Strange that your GP told you that you are not diabetic. I wonder where he was trained.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Fluffy12

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Here Hba1c of 50 is diabetic - not prediabetic, but diabetic.
If your doctor thinks that is normal either the guidelines are different, or something strange is going on.
I called the gp today for some clarification and she said that it is a bit high but is not a cause for concern. She told me to keep an eye on my symptoms but as I said one day I am not thirsty and pee less whilst other days I cannot survive without a bottle of water next to me. what can I do???

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Have gone to a new gp and she seems to agree with the doctor with the fact that my HBA1c is normal!!(HBA1C of 50)
The last few days have been alright and I have not been feeling as thirsty as usual but I am always getting headaches and constantly feeling hungry. To add to that...if I do drink I seem to get thirstier than before but not as bad as last week.
Just been so wondering if I should still worry about it as some days the symptoms are terrible and I feel very fatigued but other days I feel ok but still slightly off

Thank you❤❤
Whilst I agree with the above answers I would ask you where are you in what country and what do you eat from day to day since your symptoms seem to change perhaps the most probable cause is your diet, which needs adjusting to lower and stabilize your Bs

Fluffy12

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Whilst I agree with the above answers I would ask you where are you in what country and what do you eat from day to day since your symptoms seem to change perhaps the most probable cause is your diet, which needs adjusting to lower and stabilize your Bs
I live in the UK and I eat a lot of sandwiches during the weekdays when I have school and generally drink more then but in the weekends I eat barely anything for example:

Typical weekday:
Breakfast: cereal or porridge with a glass of milk
Lunch: tuna sandwich with a bottle of Orange juice
Dinner:pasta Bolognese
I snack during the weekdays as well I'm at school and eat:crisps,sweets
*And bottles of water in between

Typical weekend:
Breakfast:2 brioche with a bottle of water
Lunch: rice or pasta with chicken and salad
Dinner:None
I normally feel better during the weekend and sometimes during the week days
Is eating nothing the answer???

Reactions: Grannypat

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thank you❤❤

I hope this helps -

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods#foodlist

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I called the gp today for some clarification and she said that it is a bit high but is not a cause for concern. She told me to keep an eye on my symptoms but as I said one day I am not thirsty and pee less whilst other days I cannot survive without a bottle of water next to me. what can I do???
Bit difficult you can't go back to the GP and say you are definitely diabetic because people here say you are. We are not qualified here to say that you do have diabetes only your doctor can say that. Sometimes raised blood sugar can be due to other things like worry stress viruses etc

Last edited:

Fluffy12

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Bit difficult you can't go back to the GP and say you are definitely diabetic because people here say you are. We are not qualified here to say that you do have diabetes only your doctor can say that. Sometimes raised blood sugar can be due to other things like worry stress viruses or other things.
Yeah I guess but I'm not under any stress or illness at the moment
I think I'll just see how life carries on!!

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I live in the UK and I eat a lot of sandwiches during the weekdays when I have school and generally drink more then but in the weekends I eat barely anything for example:

Typical weekday:
Breakfast: cereal or porridge with a glass of milk
Lunch: tuna sandwich with a bottle of Orange juice
Dinner:pasta Bolognese
I snack during the weekdays as well I'm at school and eat:crisps,sweets
*And bottles of water in between

Typical weekend:
Breakfast:2 brioche with a bottle of water
Lunch: rice or pasta with chicken and salad
Dinner:None
I normally feel better during the weekend and sometimes during the week days
Is eating nothing the answer???
Cut Out Cereal ,Porridge Bread orange juice Pasta Crisps Sweets (Try Sugar free sweets) Rice and pasta again all high Carb items
I know it sounds impossible and its not easy Try eating Cheese as a Snack or cook some sausages and let some cool and take them to eat as a snack at school, or choose from the diet doctors list posted by NEWTD2

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Bit difficult you can't go back to the GP and say you are definitely diabetic
I did several times and was told was not diabetic even with HbA1c in the sixties. Was not till I changed to a new doctors surgery that I got any sense and was diagnosed.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With diabetes there are 2 main types of measurement: HBA1c readings and blood glucose readings (BG). The HBA1c reading is used to indicate long term damage due to blood glucose being constantly high for months yours is slightly high and is at the start of diabetes range. For day to day management of diabetes however it’s the BG reading that’s of interest.

You’ve described two symptoms of a high BG reading: thirst and headache but the give away symptom of a high BG is usually a constant need to pee.

With respect - HbA1c has nothing to do with damage, it has to do with how much glucose has effectively stuck to the circulating red blood cells, known as glycated haemoglobin. The healthiest of people have glaycated haemoglobin. The difference is how much of they have.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Fluffy12 - I can't tell frorm your profile how old you are and whether you are at school as a pupil or a member of staff.

The reason I ask is because children (much younger people)'s onset of diabetes teds to be sudden, rather than creep on over a period of time. A slow onset is more associated with us mature folks.

It would be helpful to know.

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Be careful with sugar free sweets! You may end up spending a lot of time on the loo!
Sugar free sweets may be "sugar free" but look at the label!! For Werthers Original Sugar Free Butter Candy they are 87% carb!!