Fluctuating symptoms

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Fluffy12 - I can't tell frorm your profile how old you are and whether you are at school as a pupil or a member of staff.

The reason I ask is because children (much younger people)'s onset of diabetes teds to be sudden, rather than creep on over a period of time. A slow onset is more associated with us mature folks.

It would be helpful to know.

On a previous post Fluffy has said she’s fifteen.

Reactions: DCUKMod

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I called the gp today for some clarification and she said that it is a bit high but is not a cause for concern. She told me to keep an eye on my symptoms but as I said one day I am not thirsty and pee less whilst other days I cannot survive without a bottle of water next to me. what can I do???
As things are differnt on different days, It might be worth keeping a diary for a few weeks detailing what you were doing, what had to eat, what symptoms, if any, you notiiced and when in the day. That could help you and the doctor to get a handle on whats happening

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I sometimes use Isabel symptom checker which was set up to spot (especially rarer) illnesses that a GP may miss. Just remember some of this stuff will only be seen in 1 in 10,000 patients

https://symptomchecker.isabelhealthcare.com/suggest_diagnoses_advanced/landing_page

I think each and every one of us has to be very careful of using a symptom checker such as this one. I put in there some symptoms (feeling the cold, having a low body temperature, and being constipated) and it returned such a wide range of potentially very scary conditions:

upload_2018-1-21_20-3-58.png

Those are just the Top Ten. The full list contains 7 Red Flag conditions.

For anyone with a bit of health anxiety, some of the things on the full list would have them go into a depressive decline.

Fluffy12

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
@Fluffy12 - I can't tell frorm your profile how old you are and whether you are at school as a pupil or a member of staff.

The reason I ask is because children (much younger people)'s onset of diabetes teds to be sudden, rather than creep on over a period of time. A slow onset is more associated with us mature folks.

It would be helpful to know.

I am 15 and am a student in secondary school

Fluffy12

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
As things are differnt on different days, It might be worth keeping a diary for a few weeks detailing what you were doing, what had to eat, what symptoms, if any, you notiiced and when in the day. That could help you and the doctor to get a handle on whats happening
Thanks

Reactions: donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
With T1 diabetes most of us would have had an hba1c much higher at diagnosis.

Some children are at risk of T2 diabetes and it maybe that it could be worthwhile talking to GP and asking whether they think you could be nearing any confirmed diagnosis of diabetes.

I dont know your height, weight or amount of activity, but this may also be talked about with GP if possible.

Your levels are raised and consideration should be given to both T1 and T2 for a child. As said T1's are offen found with much higher hba1c at diagnosis, but you may have been alert enough to have an early diagnosis if a GP agreed... or indeed nowadays children can also be considered for T2 diagnosis?

Are you going to GP with an adult? (If so, )what is the adults views on your GP?

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
I live in the UK and I eat a lot of sandwiches during the weekdays when I have school and generally drink more then but in the weekends I eat barely anything for example:

Typical weekday:
Breakfast: cereal or porridge with a glass of milk
Lunch: tuna sandwich with a bottle of Orange juice
Dinner:pasta Bolognese
I snack during the weekdays as well I'm at school and eat:crisps,sweets
*And bottles of water in between

Typical weekend:
Breakfast:2 brioche with a bottle of water
Lunch: rice or pasta with chicken and salad
Dinner:None
I normally feel better during the weekend and sometimes during the week days
Is eating nothing the answer???
It's interesting that you feel better at weekends. When I was 8 and a Type 1, I was put on a carbohydrate controlled diet. This meant I could eat cereals, bread, rice, pasta, milk, potatoes, fruit or anything with carbs, but in limited amounts. Breakfast for example would be 45grams. Without knowing how much of each thing you're eating it's hard to tell what might be going on. If you look at labels they should tell you how much carbohydrate per serving or per 100gms. It would be interesting to see how much exactly you are taking in. A pint of milk is around 30gms, depending on how much fat there is. Fruit juice is loaded and is absorbed very quickly. Diabetes does tend to make us become food analysers!

Reactions: davidopong

Fluffy12

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
With T1 diabetes most of us would have had an hba1c much higher at diagnosis.

Some children are at risk of T2 diabetes and it maybe that it could be worthwhile talking to GP and asking whether they think you could be nearing any confirmed diagnosis of diabetes.

I dont know your height, weight or amount of activity, but this may also be talked about with GP if possible.

Your levels are raised and consideration should be given to both T1 and T2 for a child. As said T1's are offen found with much higher hba1c at diagnosis, but you may have been alert enough to have an early diagnosis if a GP agreed... or indeed nowadays children can also be considered for T2 diagnosis?

Are you going to GP with an adult? (If so, )what is the adults views on your GP?

I don't think I am at risk of developing type 2 as I am very skinny 48kg and I am 5ft and well my mum thinks that it is my diet that is causing this and that I should eat less but I don't know

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I don't think I am at risk of developing type 2 as I am very skinny 48kg and I am 5ft and well my mum thinks that it is my diet that is causing this and that I should eat less but I don't know

Your diet has quite alot of bread type of carby foods... but I am not a teenager...
but I wpuld certainly be listening to my mum if she suggested change? What has mum been suggesting as alternatives?

Have you lost weight? This can be sign of T1 although your levels are not the typical T1 on diagnosis....
I do wonder if you have been alert enough to catch signs early...

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Fluffy12

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Your diet has quite alot of bread type of carby foods... but I am not a teenager...
but I wpuld certainly be listening to my mum if she suggested change? What has mum been suggesting as alternatives?

Have you lost weight? This can be sign of T1 although your levels are not the typical T1 on diagnosis....
I do wonder if you have been alert enough to catch signs early...
My mum has suggested to eat brown bread and eat less fruit!!
I have lost 3kg but it has been over 4 weeks even though I am eating and drinking more than usual

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My mum has suggested to eat brown bread and eat less fruit!!
I have lost 3kg but it has been over 4 weeks even though I am eating and drinking more than usual

Bread, is bread I'm afraid... but if you didnt have rising hba1c then your pancreas would be dealing with the carbs in them... and your blood levels and hba1c would be in the normal bracket.

What would your mum rather you eat than so much fruit?

Have you any access to a blood meter at all to find out what is happening affer you have ate or first thing in morning?

Fluffy12

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Bread, is bread I'm afraid... but if you didnt have rising hba1c then your pancreas would be dealing with the carbs in them... and your blood levels and hba1c would be in the normal bracket.

What would your mum rather you eat than so much fruit?

Have you any access to a blood meter at all to find out what is happening affer you have ate or first thing in morning?
my mum thinks that fruit will help lower my blood sugars but i disagree. It is healthy though
i don't have access to a blood sugar meter even though i wish i did

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Well my mum believes in Korean Fan Death and homeopathic placebo pills. Merely giving birth does not confer on one a medical degree.

Listening is not necessarily acting.... listening allows people to form clues as to the other persons reasoning... and to then identify if they wish to act, or not.

Reactions: Fluffy12

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cheese, ham and cucumber in cubes as a snack box?
Nuts?
For breakfast, perhaps an omelette or sausage, egg and/or bacon?
Or a ramekin of warmed up blueberries and greek yogurt, or coconut yogurt?
Plain yogurt?

More, later... have alook at low carb ideas on here and show them to your mum?
If you look, then you are having good input too, even beftsr if ypu both could try making together??

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the others your HbA1c shows your diabetic. You have symptoms of high blood glucose.
Please see a different dr and don't be fobbed off.
Hope you feel better very soon
That could be a lot of things it is not right to tell a 15 year old she has diabetes when she has not been diagnosed We are not qualified to give a diagnosis only a doctor can do that

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is definitely diabetic, not prediabetic. Strange that your GP told you that you are not diabetic. I wonder where he was trained.
She is 15 so minor and she has not been diagnosed with diabetes so it is wrong to say that she has got it. I don't think her parents would be very pleased with unqualified people telling her she has diabetes when she has been told by doctors that she has not got it