Butter?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
ive been having odd readings lately. Same food, same plan. Nothings changed except one thing...

I started noticing when I have broth with butter or ghee for bf and in the afternoon my readings are a bunch lower. I already eat fat with every meal but the butter seems to be slowing everything down.

I had a bit before bed last night and fasting was coming back down

Is avocado not the only magical food lol.

I just feel weird carrying a jar of Kerry gold in my lunch bag haha

Maybe it’s the saturated fat vs mono/ plant fats?

Everything is so volatile right now I’m not sure that’s it but sure seems like it.

Thoughts ?

Hotpepper20000

Yah for butter is my thought.
I’ve become a bit of a butter hoarder. Whenever it’s on sale a buy a few pounds and throw them in the freezer. Last weekend I looked an I had no less then 12 pounds. Oops.
I know when I use butter in my food it seems to satisfy me more. And I do eat less.

Last edited:
Reactions: RosieLKH

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ive been having odd readings lately. Same food, same plan. Nothings changed except one thing...

I started noticing when I have broth with butter or ghee for bf and in the afternoon my readings are a bunch lower. I already eat fat with every meal but the butter seems to be slowing everything down.

I had a bit before bed last night and fasting was coming back down

Is avocado not the only magical food lol.

I just feel weird carrying a jar of Kerry gold in my lunch bag haha

Maybe it’s the saturated fat vs mono/ plant fats?

Everything is so volatile right now I’m not sure that’s it but sure seems like it.

Thoughts ?
No thoughts but a question. How do you make/ acquire your broth? Having just discovered carb-free noodles I'd like to eat them in broth, but I can't lower myself to a humble stock cube.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve become a bit of a butter horder. Whenever it’s on sale a buy a few pounds and throw them in the freezer. Last weekend I looked an I had no less then 12 pounds. Oops.
I know when I use butter in my food it seems to satisfy me more. And I do eat less.
Lol. I’m a hoarder but I think I’ve only had 4 pounds of butter at a time. Kerry gold was illegal for about a year here and we were about to drive over the state line to get it. Then it magically appeared at our Costco. I think I literally did a happy dance in front of everyone. We tried multiple kinds but there is no other butter than Kerry gold.
If this theory pans out to being butter I’ll be eating it off a spoon. Doesn’t seem like a need much. About a teaspoon.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Kristin251

Butter is one of very, very few foods that does not trigger an insulin response, and of course, zero carb. That will be the reason. It is the very best food for us. :)

Reactions: dbr10

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No thoughts but a question. How do you make/ acquire your broth? Having just discovered carb-free noodles I'd like to eat them in broth, but I can't lower myself to a humble stock cube.
I buy organic broth from my co op. No nasty ingredients including no yeast. There’s another store further away that carries a very clean one.
I also make my own when we cook organic turkeys. We stock up at thanksgiving as we can’t find organic. during the year. We bought 5 20# ers and a few breasts. Lol. HOARDING. but we eat it all year long for lunch or dinner

Reactions: Ultramum

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve become a bit of a butter horder. Whenever it’s on sale a buy a few pounds and throw them in the freezer. Last weekend I looked an I had no less then 12 pounds. Oops.
Do you notice a difference in your blood sugar ?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Kristin251

Butter is one of very, very few foods that does not trigger an insulin response, and of course, zero carb. That will be the reason. It is the very best food for us. :)
Mayo and olive oil don’t act the same. They doesn’t raise me but it doesn’t lower me like butter seems to do

Hotpepper20000

Do you notice a difference in your blood sugar ?
I’m not sure if it’s because I eat less. Or because of the butter and a combo of both. But it’s not something I have consistently noticed. I also don’t test those meals anymore because I know my BG doesn’t spike. My last A1C was 5.8 and I’ve lost. 60 pounds so I know something is working.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I make various flavoured butters and freeze them. Slice and put a pat on some protein or veggies while they still warm. Yum!!
I used to make a compound butter to stick under the skin of turkey
It was white wine, shallots, sage and oregano. Maybe some lemon zest? The gravy from the dripping were so good.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m not sure if it’s because I eat less. Or because of the butter and a combo of both. But it’s not something I have consistently noticed. I also don’t test those meals anymore because I know my BG doesn’t spike. My last A1C was 5.8 and I’ve lost. 60 pounds so I know something is working.
Excellent. I do test as type1 but only before my next meal unless I feel weird. Just seems like when I have the butter it slows the protein and carbs down.

There are certainly worse foods I would have to eat !

Hotpepper20000

Imagine that. Butter is medicine!!!
I’m going to be that old lady with a hoard of bacon, butter and cheese in my fridge. Lol.
I remember struggling with my health and weight and reading stuff about cutting out fat and thinking I had two grandmothers who ate butter, cream and cheese and lived to the ripe old age of 92. It didn’t seem right. Imagine my joy when I heard about LCHF and realized I could be healthy and enjoy butter with out guilt.

Last edited:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m going to be that old lady with a hored of bacon, butter and cheese in my fridge. Lol.
I remember struggling with my health and weight and reading stuff about cutting out fat and thinking I had two grandmothers who ate butter, cream and cheese and lived to the ripe old age of 92. It didn’t seem right. Imagine my joy when I heard about LCHF and realized I could be healthy and enjoy butter with out guilt.
Yay for butter and smart old ladies.

I’m experimenting with dairy. It used to bother me but lately a pice of melted Brie with KERRY GOLD roasted pecans is no problem. I think milk would be.
I made a sauce with melted butter, heavy whipping cream and garlic then swirled in some Boursin. Dumped on sauted mushrooms and chicken thighs.
OMG. I had to freeze the heavy cream because I started putting it on a sooon sprinkled with cinnamon

Do you know if heavy cream freezes? I hope so

Reactions: Ultramum

Hotpepper20000

Yay for butter and smart old ladies.

I’m experimenting with dairy. It used to bother me but lately a pice of melted Brie with KERRY GOLD roasted pecans is no problem. I think milk would be.
I made a sauce with melted butter, heavy whipping cream and garlic then swirled in some Boursin. Dumped on sauted mushrooms and chicken thighs.
OMG. I had to freeze the heavy cream because I started putting it on a sooon sprinkled with cinnamon

Do you know if heavy cream freezes? I hope so
I think it does. My veggie and cream gravy does.
I used to be, what I thought was lactose intolerant, but found that now I can handle most cheeses and cream.
The only thing I can’t even stand the smell of is milk. I wonder if the higher fat not only helps with BG but digestion?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it does. My veggie and cream gravy does.
I used to be, what I thought was lactose intolerant, but found that now I can handle most cheeses and cream.
The only thing I can’t even stand the smell of is milk. I wonder if the higher fat not only helps with BG but digestion?
Hm... good thought. I bet it does and there’s no lactose in cream. I don’t think I can do lactose at all. But there are plenty of good cheeses without milk sugars. I don’t miss milk at all!

Hotpepper20000

Hm... good thought. I bet it does and there’s no lactose in cream. I don’t think I can do lactose at all. But there are plenty of good cheeses without milk sugars. I don’t miss milk at all!
You are right about no lactose in milk. But I think that because I’m healthy now my body doesn’t seen to react anymore too soft cheeses.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We just boil up chicken bones after a roast then use the broth as a soup or a base for other meals.