Butter?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you know if heavy cream freezes? I hope so

I was actually looking for this info yesterday and it apparently depends on the fat content - the higher the better the cream will freeze. Anything over 35% fat should apparently be OK: https://www.grahamsfamilydairy.com/news-events/blog/can-you-freeze-double-cream
And for your US heavy cream - another how to do it link:
https://www.thebalance.com/how-to-freeze-heavy-cream-1388376

I’m going to be that old lady with a hoard of bacon, butter and cheese in my fridge. Lol.
I remember struggling with my health and weight and reading stuff about cutting out fat and thinking I had two grandmothers who ate butter, cream and cheese and lived to the ripe old age of 92. It didn’t seem right. Imagine my joy when I heard about LCHF and realized I could be healthy and enjoy butter with out guilt.

I've always eaten butter since I was a small child over 70 years ago - my mum was a great fan of it and one of her great joys in her old age was when they retired to Cormwall and lived close to a farm shop that sold their own butter. She was a great believer in having a little bread with her butter and lived to over 95 - however my magerine eating mother-in-law was well over 100 at her death - so go figure! :wideyed:

Robbity

Hotpepper20000

I was actually looking for this info yesterday and it apparently depends on the fat content - the higher the better the cream will freeze. Anything over 35% fat should apparently be OK: https://www.grahamsfamilydairy.com/news-events/blog/can-you-freeze-double-cream
And for your US heavy cream - another how to do it link:
https://www.thebalance.com/how-to-freeze-heavy-cream-1388376

I've always eaten butter since I was a small child over 70 years ago - my mum was a great fan of it and one of her great joys in her old age was when they retired to Cormwall and lived close to a farm shop that sold their own butter. She was a great believer in having a little bread with her butter and lived to over 95 - however my magerine eating mother-in-law was well over 100 at her death - so go figure! :wideyed:

Robbity
I use 35%fat cream so that explains why i don’t have a problem with freezing.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This is too funny. Our ALLOWED BACK INTO WISONSIN, the dairy state where KG was illegal to sell here now has ‘ product of US on the label. Lol

I have those 2 oz condiment cups and just froze it. Haven’t tried it yet but ingred were cream and gellan gum ( yuk). No carbs so just cream

Do you get cream without gellan gum or carrageenan.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What's special about Kerry gold?
It's main claim to fame is that it's made with milk from Irish "grass fed" cows, which I've always assumed is the case with UK butter anyway, but may not always be the case in the USA? It's apparently richer in nutrients than that from grain/non grass fed animals.

Robbity

Hotpepper20000

This is too funny. Our ALLOWED BACK INTO WISONSIN, the dairy state where KG was illegal to sell here now has ‘ product of US on the label. Lol

I have those 2 oz condiment cups and just froze it. Haven’t tried it yet but ingred were cream and gellan gum ( yuk). No carbs so just cream

Do you get cream without gellan gum or carrageenan.

We sure do. Just having a strong cup of coffee and cream. Nothing but cream on the ingredient list.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
We sure do. Just having a strong cup of coffee and cream. Nothing but cream on the ingredient list.
I’ll have to search a little and see just how bad gellan gum is. Some have carrageenan and I don’t touch that

So did an experiment last night with butter. Wasn’t perfect as I couldn’t sleep and had ahalf glass wine and a nut and butter fest.
Went to bed at 81. After the gorge around 2 am I was 98. Fasting at 7 am 78. Mine hasn’t been that low in a long time. It used to be but not since my virus.

Hopefully I won’t need the midnight wine and nuts and will just eat the butter before bed for a truer experiment

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s comfimed.
Butter both before meals keeps bs lower.

Even better, it totally helps my DP.

Not too much of a hardship!!!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yay

The most amazing thing is the fasting change. I might have to drop basal a bit. I did last night and woke up at 91 instead of 120 and I took one less unit.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yay

The most amazing thing is the fasting change. I might have to drop basal a bit. I did last night and woke up at 91 instead of 120 and I took one less unit.
Glad to see you have found something to help you that works, Thank you for sharing this experiment.

Reactions: Kristin251

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad to see you have found something to help you that works, Thank you for sharing this experiment.
Who knows.... maybe I’m doing something else different but I don’t think so and it’s been pretty consistent. I know my meals are the same exact thing.

I’m giving a very loud knock on wood.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: Ultramum

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
My favourite is the butter with sea salt from Lidl. Absolutely divine to eat on its own.

Bad news on the lactose front, though. There is some in cream, just not very much. I am assuming that the carbohydrates listed on the pack are predominantly lactose but that the fat buffers the lactose for the lactose intolerant. There is even a tiny trace in butter (allegedly) although at 0.1 grams per 100 grams you aren't really going to notice..

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

I think the message from this report is that the grass used for pasture in the USA may have more contaminants than the grass in Ireland. So the dioxin pecking order is Irish Grass fed -> USA Organic -> USA grass fed

I do know that Irish grass usually gets washed very thoroughly (in the finest natural rain water) before the cows are allowed to eat it.:rolleyes: