Seven months into the low carb diet...

TwoRivers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Obesity.
The seven months anniversary has come up and I am now 23.8 kilos (54 lbs) lighter than I was. Trousers will have to be taken in again. Best of all, my hospital consultant has now advised me to discontinue Metformin completely. I had written to tell him I had cut out insulin. My HbA1c is, he says, normal confirming what I know from my own monitoring (which continues). Of course this means carrying on with the diet and recognizing that if I were to stray from it my BS would rise again, but I don't mind. I'd like to lose another 25 kilos if I can but am prepared for that to take many months perhaps several years. A year ago I was taking 36 units of Novorapid and 40 units of Lantos each day. Now 0!

All type twos who are not on the low carb diet: try it. The only thing I would watch out for when on it is the need to keep protein intake well under control if your kidneys have problems. But I would assume that today I have less daily protein than I did before I went on the diet and ate as I liked.

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
That is a huge success! Very well done.

Reactions: ziggy_w

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a FAB result @TwoRivers . Coming off insulin is a massive step. I'm sure you must find that very liberating; never mind dropping the Metformin too.

Good luck with your ongoing weightloss. Your 50lbs is not to be sneezed at but very good l luck with the rest.

(Just to put it into context; you have already lost almost exactly 50% of a whole me. OK, I'm a small, slight person, but I am a healthy adult woman nonetheless.)

Reactions: Prem51

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
fan bl**dy tastic. I am extremely jealous. I am 7 months in and "only" lost 8 kilos..mind you if I lost 2 kg I would be extremely under weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Prem51

TwoRivers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Obesity.
Brilliant achievement :) Big clap!

As a matter of interest, what was your HbA1c?
I got a print out from him of every reading except that one. (I was more worried about the kidneys.) I hesitate to pester as frankly it is not easy to get through---I had to ask two or three times. I accept that he has more urgent things to do than get details for me. (And he was always pressing me more than my GP to get it down further even when it was quite good, so I'll take his word that all is fine until in a month or so I have another test.) But in other countries one gets a print out of the results automatically after blood tests. Why not here?
In the early autumn it was 44 so I assume that it is better than that now but I am monitoring carefully to see what effect giving up medication has had.

TwoRivers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Obesity.
What a FAB result @TwoRivers . Coming off insulin is a massive step. I'm sure you must find that very liberating; never mind dropping the Metformin too.

Good luck with your ongoing weightloss. Your 50lbs is not to be sneezed at but very good l luck with the rest.

(Just to put it into context; you have already lost almost exactly 50% of a whole me. OK, I'm a small, slight person, but I am a healthy adult woman nonetheless.)

I was horribly bloated before I started. Not sylph-like yet, but as I said above, give me time!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got a print out from him of every reading except that one. (I was more worried about the kidneys.) I hesitate to pester as frankly it is not easy to get through---I had to ask two or three times. I accept that he has more urgent things to do than get details for me. But in other countries one gets a print out of the results automatically after blood tests. Why not here?
In the early autumn it was 44 so I assume that it is better than that now but I am monitoring carefully to see what effect giving up medication has had.

See if you can apply to get your results on line then you’ll never have to bother them by asking again.

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
I'm about 4 weeks into my lchf diet and have lost about a stone and more importantly I've reduced my insulin from 120 units daily to 50 units daily. I've done this without the support of my dn who doesn't agree with "these faddy diets " I have an appointment with her this Thursday so we'll see what she says. She will also take blood for testing and I can't wait to see what they show. They obviously only show a snapshot of the last 3 months and the months before I started the diet my bs were anything between 8 and 11 so it won't show exactly what I want to see.
Your posts are really inspiring and encouraging I only hope that I can do as well. :)

TwoRivers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Obesity.
I got a print out from him of every reading except that one. (I was more worried about the kidneys.) I hesitate to pester as frankly it is not easy to get through---I had to ask two or three times. I accept that he has more urgent things to do than get details for me. (And he was always pressing me more than my GP to get it down further even when it was quite good, so I'll take his word that all is fine until in a month or so I have another test.) But in other countries one gets a print out of the results automatically after blood tests. Why not here?

I got the HbAiC figure from my GP today. It was 36 "almost too low" he said. By the way my blood pressure, high over many years, is currently 120 over 65 at the moment. Which is very cheering.