My sugr - how accurate?

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, for those of using My Sugr, can I ask do you find it an accurate prediction of HbA1c? I've only been recording for a week, averaging 5-6 tests a day - and the HbA1c estimate so far is great, but I don't feel I've given the app nearly enough info yet to get too excited - how many readings a day do you think would be enough to help get it as accurate as possible?

At the moment there's only a couple of times I've tested 1 hour after eating, usually I just do 2 hours - but if I always did 1 hour as well, I'm guessing the HbA1c prediction will be more accurate as I'm getting most of the spikes.

What has been your experiences? Thanks :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It is probably only accurate if you do lots of tests that include times when you are at your highest and times when at your lowest in roughly equal numbers. You would also need to do it for a lot longer than a week I should imagine.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is probably only accurate if you do lots of tests that include times when you are at your highest and times when at your lowest in roughly equal numbers. You would also need to do it for a lot longer than a week I should imagine.
Thanks, yes realise just a week is no prediction - that the overall picture after 3 months will be more telling. Think I'll need to more tests a day than I am at the mo.

Hotpepper20000

I use mySugr app. I Test anywhere from 3-6 times a day and found the HbA1c prediction accurate within .2
My blood tests have been 5.9, 5.8, and 6.0.
mySugr predicted 5.8, 6.1 and. 5.9.
it depends how many times a day you test and how accurate your BG Monitor is

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ive used the app for quite some time and find it v good. I generally use it lo log 3-5 readings a day
At the moment Im using libre cgm for a short while so havnt been logging on mysugar
The pattern of readings is similar but much more detailed with the libre - the hba1c estimate from my suagr immediately before I started using the libre and the one libre is generating are veryy close (within 1 point) so they either both generate accurate hba1c estimates or are equally inaccurate - got my annual review in a few weeks so lets see!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I also think the height of the spikes and how long they last must make a difference. If your numbers are all within a band of , say, 5 to 7 at all times, it is likely to be far more accurate than if they are within a band of 5 to 10. In the latter case it would be difficult and require multiple tests to catch enough high ones, especially if you also run high during the night.

Reactions: eggs11

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use mySugr app. I Test anywhere from 3-6 times a day and found the HbA1c prediction accurate within .2
My blood tests have been 5.9, 5.8, and 6.0.
mySugr predicted 5.8, 6.1 and. 5.9.
it depends how many times a day you test and how accurate your BG Monitor is
Thank you - sounds like I may be doing enough tests. I use a Codefree, how accurate that is, I don't know.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ive used the app for quite some time and find it v good. I generally use it lo log 3-5 readings a day
At the moment Im using libre cgm for a short while so havnt been logging on mysugar
The pattern of readings is similar but much more detailed with the libre - the hba1c estimate from my suagr immediately before I started using the libre and the one libre is generating are veryy close (within 1 point) so they either both generate accurate hba1c estimates or are equally inaccurate - got my annual review in a few weeks so lets see!
Thanks - good to know. Another bonus I'm finding is logging online is way easier than trying to write tiny numbers in the frankly miniature log book that came with my meter!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Bluetit1802

Hotpepper20000

I don’t worry too much about the exact numbers but look for trends up and down.
I can go for a week with out testing and then test 5 times a day for the next week when trying new foods or exercise.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @eggs11
I use the same combination as you a Code Free and MySugr. I test between 4 and 7 times a day depending what’s going on in my diabetic life. I have had two lab tested HbA1c results whist using MySugr. In September lab said 36 whist MySugr said 34.4 then in December lab said 33 and MySugr said 32.9. So both times not at all far out.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @eggs11
I use the same combination as you a Code Free and MySugr. I test between 4 and 7 times a day depending what’s going on in my diabetic life. I have had two lab tested HbA1c results whist using MySugr. In September lab said 36 whist MySugr said 34.4 then in December lab said 33 and MySugr said 32.9. So both times not at all far out.
So pretty good then. May I ask what times you tend to test - before meals and 2 hours after?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So pretty good then. May I ask what times you tend to test - before meals and 2 hours after?

When I’m really stable I check before and two hours after breakfast and dinner. If anything is unsettling my sugars or I’m trying something out (I’m currently seeing if cinnamon reduces my sugars for example) I test before and two hours after three meals and at bedtime.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I take no notice of my HbA1c. It is just for the DN to keep check on me and gives her something to record..

I look at trends, and the best way to do this, in my opinion, is to use an Excel spread sheet, with everything in columns (FBG, pre-lunch, various times after lunch, pre-tea, various times after tea, bedtime. I can then average down to watch the trends on each of the occasions I test. This shows me a lot more than total averages. I do exactly the same for all blood tests (kidneys, liver, FBC. eGFR, cholesterol and lipids), vitamins, urine, blood pressure (home monitoring), weight, and others. I am a data freak.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think HbA1c is an out of date measurement now. It was used when there was nothing better, but now with cgm we have AGP which to me is a much better indicator, not to mention visually easier to understand.

Just my 2p worth.

Edit: btw very impressed with mySugr. Totally hooked

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think HbA1c is an out of date measurement now. It was used when there was nothing better, but now with cgm we have AGP which to me is a much better indicator, not to mention visually easier to understand.

Just my 2p worth.

Edit: btw very impressed with mySugr. Totally hooked
Hi @barrym I'm only familiar with HbA1c and glucose tolerance tests, how does AGP work?

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you - sounds like I may be doing enough tests. I use a Codefree, how accurate that is, I don't know.
I found codefree a bit higher than my hbac1 - now use the carens sense duo which records lower than code free but need to wait unti May now to see if this is closer to my hbac1!