Help! My weight loss has stuck

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
I was diagnosed in November last year and have been on a low carb diet since.
I was 14 st 2 lb BMI 28.9 at diagnosis. Aged 63
I have stuck to my diet and upped my exercise (Half hour walk, half hour on an exercise bike every day, weights twice weekly and refereeing two rugby games a week). Still aged 63, but that won't last forever.
Today I am 12 stone 9 lb BMI 25.4. I put on muscle mass at the start and now I'm just maintaining it.
I'm delighted with my progress and my BG is falling. I have a HBa1C test next Tuesday.

I eat very little carbs. The only carbs I get are the low numbers in some veg, seeds, nuts etc. I estimate no more than 25g a day and probably less. I never eat bread, pasta, rice or anything sugary. I stopped drinking alcohol after diagnosis.

I'm really pleased with my progress and it is all down to the advice I've had from this group.
The only problem is that my weight stopped falling two weeks ago and it actually went up a couple of pounds this week.
I have not eaten extra fat on this diet. I took the view that you have to replace the nutritian you get from carbs with fat in the long term, but in order to lose weight I needed to moderate my fat intake. I eat a small amount of cheese some days, I don't cut fat off meat and I eat avocados and olive oil regularly. I never feel hungry despite eating relatively little.
So, my question is, should I cut back on fat still further or should I increase my fat consumption? Or is there something else I should be doing? I know weight loss starts well and then tails off, but I really need to get to a healthy BMI and I have to lose at least another 5-6 pounds to get there.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed in November last year and have been on a low carb diet since.
I was 14 st 2 lb BMI 28.9 at diagnosis. Aged 63
I have stuck to my diet and upped my exercise (Half hour walk, half hour on an exercise bike every day, weights twice weekly and refereeing two rugby games a week). Still aged 63, but that won't last forever.
Today I am 12 stone 9 lb BMI 25.4. I put on muscle mass at the start and now I'm just maintaining it.
I'm delighted with my progress and my BG is falling. I have a HBa1C test next Tuesday.

I eat very little carbs. The only carbs I get are the low numbers in some veg, seeds, nuts etc. I estimate no more than 25g a day and probably less. I never eat bread, pasta, rice or anything sugary. I stopped drinking alcohol after diagnosis.

I'm really pleased with my progress and it is all down to the advice I've had from this group.
The only problem is that my weight stopped falling two weeks ago and it actually went up a couple of pounds this week.
I have not eaten extra fat on this diet. I took the view that you have to replace the nutritian you get from carbs with fat in the long term, but in order to lose weight I needed to moderate my fat intake. I eat a small amount of cheese some days, I don't cut fat off meat and I eat avocados and olive oil regularly. I never feel hungry despite eating relatively little.
So, my question is, should I cut back on fat still further or should I increase my fat consumption? Or is there something else I should be doing? I know weight loss starts well and then tails off, but I really need to get to a healthy BMI and I have to lose at least another 5-6 pounds to get there.
I am only a short way into my weight loss journey, so think you've done really well. I wouldn't panic - as you only have a few pounds to go. Maybe try mixing things up a bit by doing the odd bit of fasting or eating in a smaller window of time each day could kickstart things again, your body might have got adapted to the diet a bit? And are you drinking enough water? - something I struggle to remember to do. I'm sure other who've been on LCHF much longer than I am will come along soon with their tips. :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I never feel hungry despite eating relatively little.
Do you think you are eating a lot less than you were before? Any idea of your daily calories?
With a lot of people reducing the amounts of food can lead to metabolic slow down as your body gets used to less food coming in and compensates. Sometimes we have to eat more to demonstrate to our body that it needn't assume we are going to starve.
Also weight loss won't be linear in everybody so you could well experience plateaus along your journey. I have been plateaued for about 6 months. Luckily at a weight I am happy with although my ideal is still lower.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have found that maintaining my weight is far harder than it was to lose weight. I can lose or gain between one and three pounds per week with no obvious differences in my diet. Our bodies don't work like well balanced machines and sometimes we may need to tweak something to set it to do what we would like. As for 'nutrition from carbs' if you could tell me what that nutrition is I would be interested to know.

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I am only a short way into my weight loss journey, so think you've done really well. I wouldn't panic - as you only have a few pounds to go. Maybe try mixing things up a bit by doing the odd bit of fasting or eating in a smaller window of time each day could kickstart things again, your body might have got adapted to the diet a bit? And are you drinking enough water? - something I struggle to remember to do. I'm sure other who've been on LCHF much longer than I am will come along soon with their tips. :)
Thanks

I should have said that I eat between 8 am and 6pm and then fast for the night. I have had to drink loads of water too, to prevent the dreaded constipation. All good advice though thanks. At least it confirms I'm doing the right things.

Reactions: ickihun and eggs11

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Do you think you are eating a lot less than you were before? Any idea of your daily calories?
With a lot of people reducing the amounts of food can lead to metabolic slow down as your body gets used to less food coming in and compensates. Sometimes we have to eat more to demonstrate to our body that it needn't assume we are going to starve.
Also weight loss won't be linear in everybody so you could well experience plateaus along your journey. I have been plateaued for about 6 months. Luckily at a weight I am happy with although my ideal is still lower.
Thanks
I don't measure calories, but I would estimate I eat less than 1500 a day. I tried going down to 800 a day at first, but I couldn't keep up exercise at that calory level.
I' thinking that you are right and I need to experiment. I will know more after I get my HBa1C results on 15th.

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have found that maintaining my weight is far harder than it was to lose weight. I can lose or gain between one and three pounds per week with no obvious differences in my diet. Our bodies don't work like well balanced machines and sometimes we may need to tweak something to set it to do what we would like. As for 'nutrition from carbs' if you could tell me what that nutrition is I would be interested to know.
Bodies are certainly complicated things. So is diabetes come to that. Everything seems to raise your BG and only hard work and near starvation get it down and then only if you are one of the lucky ones.
Actually I currently think getting type 2 has been good for me. I had a number of ailments that I put down to my age. They have gone or at least improved since November and I now realise it was my lifestyle not my age that was to blame. I thought I had a healthy lifestyle before, but I now realise it was pretty unhealthy.

Reactions: ickihun and Guzzler

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bodies are certainly complicated things. So is diabetes come to that. Everything seems to raise your BG and only hard work and near starvation get it down and then only if you are one of the lucky ones.
Actually I currently think getting type 2 has been good for me. I had a number of ailments that I put down to my age. They have gone or at least improved since November and I now realise it was my lifestyle not my age that was to blame. I thought I had a healthy lifestyle before, but I now realise it was pretty unhealthy.
I certainly wouldn't describe my way of eating as near starvation but can also report similar health benefits from cutting carbs out of my life.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

I think you might be surprised at just how many people feel the same way about T2. Not at first but certainly later as we learn more and more about our condition and about just how important dietary choices are. Good luck and well done on your progress so far.

Mark_1

The last 6 lbs can take longer to lose than the first 60. Maybe use something like MyFitnessPal to track calories and macros and look to just maintain for a few weeks. You may find you can eat a bit more to maintain and then you will have a larger amount to cut from when you start your weight loss again.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My weight loss has slowed down hugely from the start of low carbing nine months ago. I go for the moderate fat approach too. I tend to eat more calories and slightly higher carbs (maybe 60-70 rather than 50-60g) at weekends and that seems to kick start my weight loss each week. I’m only managing 1/2 to 1 lb a week but it’s still downwards :)

Reactions: ickihun

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My weight loss has slowed down hugely from the start of low carbing nine months ago. I go for the moderate fat approach too. I tend to eat more calories and slightly higher carbs (maybe 60-70 rather than 50-60g) at weekends and that seems to kick start my weight loss each week. I’m only managing 1/2 to 1 lb a week but it’s still downwards :)
I tend to weigh myself every day. Now I know a lot of people say don't do that, but statistically people who do so lose more weight.
I imagine I was eating roughly twice the number of calories I am now before I started my diet, so it seems odd that I was stable then and now. I'm sure it will start to fall again soon. I just want to get to my healthy BMI.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tend to weigh myself every day. Now I know a lot of people say don't do that, but statistically people who do so lose more weight.
I imagine I was eating roughly twice the number of calories I am now before I started my diet, so it seems odd that I was stable then and now. I'm sure it will start to fall again soon. I just want to get to my healthy BMI.

I weigh each day too, but only record it weekly.
You are so close to a healthy BMI, it’s 25 isn’t it? I started at 44 :wideyed:, but am down to 32 :happy:

Reactions: ickihun

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
How much protein are you eating? If you’re eating it in excess it can stall weight. Dairy and nuts as well

If you’re eating all lean proteins then I would try upping your fats a bit. Cook in butter or melt on veggies. A little extra EVOO/ mayo. It won’t take long to see if it helps or hurts.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have moved my breakfast from 7 am to 10 am and just that little extra 'fasting time' has kick started my weight loss after a 2 week plateau over Christmas/New Year when I was off work and less active.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks
I don't measure calories, but I would estimate I eat less than 1500 a day. I tried going down to 800 a day at first, but I couldn't keep up exercise at that calory level.
I' thinking that you are right and I need to experiment. I will know more after I get my HBa1C results on 15th.
I wonder if perhaps you are under-estimating the calories and carbs you are eating. Nuts, olive oil, cheese, meat fat and avocados are all high in calories. I estimate that I am eating around 20g carbs a day, but to get anywhere near that level I have to restrict even vegetables that grow above ground. I am amazed to find myself even weighing out raw spinach (50g max). It might be worth having a blitz with a carb calculator and a pair of scales just to check. I know that since I started all this last July I have had surprise after nasty surprise as the foods I thought carb-free or low carb were one by one unmasked as not so low as all that.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I was confirmed type2 three weeks ago with a second HbA1c of 58, I was offered Metformin but I have refused so far. I have lost 8 pounds and trying my hardest to eat healthy. Can I ask what you breakfast consists of? I used to love porridge and Weetabix but my sugars rocket after eating these nowadays. Tia

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I was confirmed type2 three weeks ago with a second HbA1c of 58, I was offered Metformin but I have refused so far. I have lost 8 pounds and trying my hardest to eat healthy. Can I ask what you breakfast consists of? I used to love porridge and Weetabix but my sugars rocket after eating these nowadays. Tia
Today I had scrambled eggs and a small handful of raspberries - many days I'll have eggs for breakfast - no carbs so they don't raise my blood sugars

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
How much protein are you eating? If you’re eating it in excess it can stall weight. Dairy and nuts as well

If you’re eating all lean proteins then I would try upping your fats a bit. Cook in butter or melt on veggies. A little extra EVOO/ mayo. It won’t take long to see if it helps or hurts.
I'll certainly give it a go thanks. I eat a moderate amount of fat. I have protein with most meals, but not excessively so.

Reactions: Kristin251

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have moved my breakfast from 7 am to 10 am and just that little extra 'fasting time' has kick started my weight loss after a 2 week plateau over Christmas/New Year when I was off work and less active.
That is certainly worth a go thanks. I work for myself so eating a late breakfast is not a problem