Why has 12u of NovoRapid and 20g of carbs not lowered my BG?

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So come lunch time my levels for some reason had hit 12 so I took 12u of NR to bring it down. 2 hours after taking it my levels where still 10 even WITHOUT eating anything, then I gave up due to hunger so had my lunch 20g carbs 40g protein and <10g fats. Levels are now hanging around 13.

Usually within 30-40 mins after taking NR levels would be crashing if I didn’t eat.

What is going on here?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Are you sick? Colds eta can rise sugars.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nope not ill at all, this morning I took the 10u as usual but didn't manage to eat breakfast in time so went low post breakfast and had to have a small OJ glass to rise it, the the OJ rather then levelling off at 6-8 which it would normally would do shot it up to 12!!!!

All very strange, Some days this MDI is ALLOT of faffing about with very little returns Vs my old 30/70 regime.

CDM9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Faulty pen or injection site lumpy?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Rebound high with glucose from ur liver bring released as well from the low?

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nope not ill at all, this morning I took the 10u as usual but didn't manage to eat breakfast in time so went low post breakfast and had to have a small OJ glass to rise it, the the OJ rather then levelling off at 6-8 which it would normally would do shot it up to 12!!!!

All very strange, Some days this MDI is ALLOT of faffing about with very little returns Vs my old 30/70 regime.

Yeah, but 30/70 regimes are very inflexible. The trade-off is MDI requires more attention and things have to be very precise or can go haywire quickly. Maybe your breakfast bolus just didn't absorb well. There are so many variables with this disease honestly it's hard to tell sometimes. I bet tomorrow things will go back to normal!

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure the pen is faulty got a new one out last night and it worked fine this morning and last night.

@donnellysdogs - hhhm never thought about the liver dump could be.

Roll on 4pm I might just jab another 3-4 units and see what happens.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could very well be the liver dump, but it could also be or a combination of both, that you need more insulin to bring down higher numbers- eg if you were at 7mmol and 1u might drop you 3mmol, but at 12mmol 1u might only bring you down 1mmol.

But also note if you have a hypo and a liver dump at some point the liver will grab back the glucose to replenish it's store - :) usually just after you've injected a correction :meh: and you're on the roller-coaster train ride :eek:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Insulin could of gone off ? If you’ve ruled out other variables it’s best to change your pen as insulin may not be up to scratch.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So at about 3:30 I was still 12 so injected 3 units hoping to bring it down to 7-8 but nearly 1.5 hours later I am still 11.1. Mental.

@Juicyj hhhmmm thing is the insulin worked fine last night and this morning, so not sure it's the pen. I guess I could try a new one later tonight and see.

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do have some days where my blood sugar will go up to around 11/12 (always those numbers!) and no matter what I do, it won't budge! I haven't been able to figure out why. Sometimes it lasts hours, sometimes days, but sooner or later it always goes back to normal as suddenly as it came on

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
So at about 3:30 I was still 12 so injected 3 units hoping to bring it down to 7-8 but nearly 1.5 hours later I am still 11.1. Mental.

@Juicyj hhhmmm thing is the insulin worked fine last night and this morning, so not sure it's the pen. I guess I could try a new one later tonight and see.

You have nothing to lose by trying a new pen/insulin/needles.. they are always on the list for me if I cant find any other reason...

Reactions: Levy

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do have some days where my blood sugar will go up to around 11/12 (always those numbers!) and no matter what I do, it won't budge! I haven't been able to figure out why. Sometimes it lasts hours, sometimes days, but sooner or later it always goes back to normal as suddenly as it came on

I'm glad I'm not the only one this happens too, cycles of great control then a cycle lows and a cycle highs then all great again etc etc. Does anyone know why this actually happens?

Reactions: LucySW

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm glad I'm not the only one this happens too, cycles of great control then a cycle lows and a cycle highs then all great again etc etc. Does anyone know why this actually happens?
That's such a good description! Mine definitely seems to come in cycles. I do the same things and some days are perfect and I won't even spike after meals, then other days I can't keep them up or down! They don't seem to be regular enough to blame on female hormones though.