I love fasting, fasting doesn't love me.

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had been doing OMAD, 18:6 ,20:4 Just generally mixing it up. My fasting BG 4.2mmol/L - 4.8mmol/L post prandial never above 5.4mmol/L. I eat low carb.
2 weeks ago I started EFs 5 days to be precise.
I also do 1hr HIIT 4-5 times a week.
Since EF my blood sugar is high and not coming down. My fasting this morning was 6.2mmol/L 36hrs into a water fast.
Yesterday it was 5.8mmol/L all day.I skipped HIIT and did 5mile walk instead. Never dropped.
All my research points to Catechalamines making my liver dump the glycogen.
Any suggestions, does that mean fasting means no insulin in situ to drive the serum BG to the liver?
I'm at my wits end.
This started with EFs

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you thought of trying a coffee with cream when you get up to see if that helps?
What's your reason for extended fasting?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had been doing OMAD, 18:6 ,20:4 Just generally mixing it up. My fasting BG 4.2mmol/L - 4.8mmol/L post prandial never above 5.4mmol/L. I eat low carb.
2 weeks ago I started EFs 5 days to be precise.
I also do 1hr HIIT 4-5 times a week.
Since EF my blood sugar is high and not coming down. My fasting this morning was 6.2mmol/L 36hrs into a water fast.
Yesterday it was 5.8mmol/L all day.I skipped HIIT and did 5mile walk instead. Never dropped.
All my research points to Catechalamines making my liver dump the glycogen.
Any suggestions, does that mean fasting means no insulin in situ to drive the serum BG to the liver?
I'm at my wits end.
This started with EFs
Please, what are EFs?

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Have you thought of trying a coffee with cream when you get up to see if that helps?
What's your reason for extended fasting?
Thanks for your reply. I fast for possible autophagy. I was diagnosed after a routine check. In the summer of 2014. I was asymptomatic. I was obese most of my adult life until I was diagnosed, I went low carb, and realised it was the insulin that was driving my appetite and weight gain. 3yrs on, my BG is in the normal range and so is my weight, My BG has been normal since 3 months after diagnosis until, this elevated readings.
I am suspecting the EF because its the only thing that has changed.
I eat 20grams of Carbs or less from leafy greens,( However, I supplement with 10grams Inulin a prebiotic fructo-Oligosaccharide it has never spiked me)
My Dr wanted to put me on Statins because my lipids were elevated, but I refused and went with taking inulin instead. I eat moderate healthy fats, and 65grams protein from all sorts of meat.
Because I don't know for how long I may have had Diabetes before diagnosis, I am doing the EFs so autophagy could help correct any damage that could have been done.....Haha. I will definitely add back coffee. I stop taking coffee during my fasts, but I'd rather not have high readings so back comes the coffee.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fasting-blood-glucose-higher
This kinda makes a lot of sense to me...but why now?
Maybe the HIIT and the EF together.
Thanks for link very interesting.
I’ve never done an extended fast - my longest ones have been 23 hours which I did every day for one month and now do one or two days a week- and I found that not taking anything on board def impacted my bgs so got in habit of just a small amount of watered down cream with my inulin and coffee first thing and at Middle of day was way forward. I know that JF does say it’s ok to have a very small amount of cream on a fast. Other thing that def stands out for me too is importance of stress management especially as fasting seems to put cortisol and bgs up temporarily - I now do mindfulness every day as well as Pilates regularly and these two things really make a difference to me. I’ve read the interesting research on autophagy too but know that an extended fast isn’t for me but regular intermittent fasting is. I’m just hoping in a wishful thinking kind of way that there may be some autophagy going on! Good luck whatever direction you continue your fasting in.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your reply. I fast for possible autophagy. I was diagnosed after a routine check. In the summer of 2014. I was asymptomatic. I was obese most of my adult life until I was diagnosed, I went low carb, and realised it was the insulin that was driving my appetite and weight gain. 3yrs on, my BG is in the normal range and so is my weight, My BG has been normal since 3 months after diagnosis until, this elevated readings.
I am suspecting the EF because its the only thing that has changed.
I eat 20grams of Carbs or less from leafy greens,( However, I supplement with 10grams Inulin a prebiotic fructo-Oligosaccharide it has never spiked me)
My Dr wanted to put me on Statins because my lipids were elevated, but I refused and went with taking inulin instead. I eat moderate healthy fats, and 65grams protein from all sorts of meat.
Because I don't know for how long I may have had Diabetes before diagnosis, I am doing the EFs so autophagy could help correct any damage that could have been done.....Haha. I will definitely add back coffee. I stop taking coffee during my fasts, but I'd rather not have high readings so back comes the coffee.
OK for autophagy maybe not do the cream..I wouldn't worry about it..as the article you linked to states higher FBG's but lower readings the rest of the time aren't necessarily cause for concern. My last HbA1c was 28 but I had certainly been experiencing higher FBG's and was a bit worried that the test would show higher than usual but in the end it was the same as it had been before. I'm still experiencing higher FBG's with some over 6 but can still get down to mid to high 4's during the day. I should try another extended fast and see if I get my usual high 3's on the third day.. maybe when it warms up a bit!

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
OK for autophagy maybe not do the cream..I wouldn't worry about it..as the article you linked to states higher FBG's but lower readings the rest of the time aren't necessarily cause for concern. My last HbA1c was 28 but I had certainly been experiencing higher FBG's and was a bit worried that the test would show higher than usual but in the end it was the same as it had been before. I'm still experiencing higher FBG's with some over 6 but can still get down to mid to high 4's during the day. I should try another extended fast and see if I get my usual high 3's on the third day.. maybe when it warms up a bit!
I did some serious HIIT this evening. The reading I took just as I finished was high but I am no longer bothered, before I retire for the night I'll test again to see what the trend is. I used coffee to hydrate during my workout...Mehn coffee is a potent energiser. I loved every second. I could have gone on for days. Hopefully this darn BG will drop soon.
I am loving fasting so much. The feeling is so light and airy, I enjoy it and this could possibly be my default way of eating going forward. Several 36hrs a week, with Good Keto feasts.....That is until my monster appetite rears its head. haha

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
17.30 PM test result (right after workout) 7.2 mmol/L
19.30 PM test result 4.3 mmol/L
This is astonishing. Thank you Bulkbiker for the coffee suggestion, it has made all the difference. So from now on, Java is the exercise hydration of choice.

Reactions: lindijanice

Kailee56

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Last edited:
Reactions: brassyblonde900

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Another article, or maybe a copy of it is on Dr Fung’s blog. Just above the last picture/cartoon, he talks about the higher blood glucose levels seen during fasting.

https://idmprogram.com/dawn-phenomenon-t2d-8/

Keep the coffee. Here’s an article about ways to increase autophagy. About 1/3rd down, he starts listing ways and coffee is one of them

https://www.selfhacked.com/blog/autophagy-benefits-and-how-to-harness/
Thank you so much. This has put my mind at rest.