Meter Readings

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Rachox, I get liver dump too. Does eating immediately stop this? I'm trying to fast as long as poss and eating immediately goes against this.

Do you know if your liver keeps dumping throughout the morning? That is what needs to be stopped otherwise it impacts on your lunch time readings. If it stops of its own accord, there isn't much of a problem. I don't know anything about T1s and insulin, but have seen on threads that T1s do stop it by injecting. You would need to take advice on this. As for me, on no meds, I only realised my liver kept dumping all morning when I wore a Libre sensor. Like @Rachox the rise wan't very much - maybe half a mmol/l or just over, but I didn't like it! I stopped it in its tracks from the very first time I tried the coffee and cream (I have no weight to lose so am able to put a reasonable amount of cream in), but I have it immediately I get up, before dressing etc. I need to add that I have never had any trouble with my overnight levels or my FBG. They have always been low 5s, and now I stay in the low 5s.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Do you know if your liver keeps dumping throughout the morning? That is what needs to be stopped otherwise it impacts on your lunch time readings. If it stops of its own accord, there isn't much of a problem. I don't know anything about T1s and insulin, but have seen on threads that T1s do stop it by injecting. You would need to take advice on this. As for me, on no meds, I only realised my liver kept dumping all morning when I wore a Libre sensor. Like @Rachox the rise wan't very much - maybe half a mmol/l or just over, but I didn't like it! I stopped it in its tracks from the very first time I tried the coffee and cream (I have no weight to lose so am able to put a reasonable amount of cream in), but I have it immediately I get up, before dressing etc. I need to add that I have never had any trouble with my overnight levels or my FBG. They have always been low 5s, and now I stay in the low 5s.
It's weird, sometimes the dump is small 1mmol but it can go as big as 3 and that's without breakfast. I never use insulin for it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's weird, sometimes the dump is small 1mmol but it can go as big as 3 and that's without breakfast. I never use insulin for it.

The reason we see big liver dumps is because when our livers dump glucose our insulin isn't clearing this dumped glucose and is unable to gain access to the liver to trigger it to stop dumping. This is down to either insufficient natural insulin or enough insulin but too much insulin resistance and a fatty liver. Our livers will always dump glucose, we can't avoid that and it is necessary to keep us alive, but one way of helping to prevent a continued and unnecessary dump throughout the morning is to avoid any carbs and eat only fats or protein during that period.

Interaud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty, dishonesty, spiders
I wonder I'd anyone can advise me please.
My fasting levels are usually between 7.2 to 7.7. first thing in the morning. My levels 2 hours after a meal are between 6.0 and 6.5.
I would have thought my levels would have been higher after eating than on waking up.
My night time snack is ar 10pm of unsweetened coffee and 2 biscotti biscuits (10g carbs, and 100 calls.
I am averaging 100 g carbs and 1000 to 1250 calls a day.
I have lost 9lbs in last 6 weeks but can see no change in glucose levels.
I agree with @Rachox A correct fasting reading should be done after waking, visiting the bathroom, hand wash, then test. This is before showers, getting dressed, or any rushing about. It takes me 2 minutes maximum from getting out of bed to testing. Try it tomorrow and see if there is a difference. Showers are funny things, and people react differently to them, but dashing about will certainly raise levels. I find the same as Rachox. As soon as I have tested I go downstairs and make myself a coffee with cream (which is my only breakfast) and the fat in the cream actually stops the liver dumping. Carbs at breakfast can only add to the problem as your liver's glucose and your breakfast glucose will combine. One reason why porridge isn't the best of ideas. If I were you I would stick to eggs/cheese/cold meats/bacon/mushrooms.
I do my first-thing testing, after I do the peeing, feed cat, black coffee/cigarette and sit inactive catching up on missed TV soaps from night before. I understood that liver dumping may be good to ease fatty-gathering in liver, but still a bit of a novice in this area. My normal readings are between 5.7 - 6.2 prior to my twice-daily Humulin M3 insulin injection pre-tea (10 units) followed by plate of bran shreds/blueberries (5.00 pm) and choc digestive at approx. 9.00 pm. Sometimes feel weird around 11.30 pm, so sneak a jelly baby or glucose tablet when meter shows 3.7ish, and next usual morning time I'm hitting between 5.7-6.2 again