1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Arrived here after watching The Truth About Carbs? Join the Low Carb Program for meal plans & 10 weeks of simple steps into your new lifestyle.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Meter Readings

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by Falkirk_airs, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

2. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 · Guru

Do you know if your liver keeps dumping throughout the morning? That is what needs to be stopped otherwise it impacts on your lunch time readings. If it stops of its own accord, there isn't much of a problem. I don't know anything about T1s and insulin, but have seen on threads that T1s do stop it by injecting. You would need to take advice on this. As for me, on no meds, I only realised my liver kept dumping all morning when I wore a Libre sensor. Like @Rachox the rise wan't very much - maybe half a mmol/l or just over, but I didn't like it! I stopped it in its tracks from the very first time I tried the coffee and cream (I have no weight to lose so am able to put a reasonable amount of cream in), but I have it immediately I get up, before dressing etc. I need to add that I have never had any trouble with my overnight levels or my FBG. They have always been low 5s, and now I stay in the low 5s.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It's weird, sometimes the dump is small 1mmol but it can go as big as 3 and that's without breakfast. I never use insulin for it.

4. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 · Guru

The reason we see big liver dumps is because when our livers dump glucose our insulin isn't clearing this dumped glucose and is unable to gain access to the liver to trigger it to stop dumping. This is down to either insufficient natural insulin or enough insulin but too much insulin resistance and a fatty liver. Our livers will always dump glucose, we can't avoid that and it is necessary to keep us alive, but one way of helping to prevent a continued and unnecessary dump throughout the morning is to avoid any carbs and eat only fats or protein during that period.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. pleinster

pleinster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Ouch ! I thought my Z1100 was huge back in the day...2300cc...I feel reduced !

• Like Like x 1
  6. Interaud

Interaud Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I do my first-thing testing, after I do the peeing, feed cat, black coffee/cigarette and sit inactive catching up on missed TV soaps from night before. I understood that liver dumping may be good to ease fatty-gathering in liver, but still a bit of a novice in this area. My normal readings are between 5.7 - 6.2 prior to my twice-daily Humulin M3 insulin injection pre-tea (10 units) followed by plate of bran shreds/blueberries (5.00 pm) and choc digestive at approx. 9.00 pm. Sometimes feel weird around 11.30 pm, so sneak a jelly baby or glucose tablet when meter shows 3.7ish, and next usual morning time I'm hitting between 5.7-6.2 again

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook